Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it so hard to get Bitcoins  (Read 1217 times)
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:13:34 PM

Have not you guys heard yet? There is a relatively easy way to get good money, besides trying to exchange bad money for it.

1. Provide goods and services.
2. Get paid in good money.
3. Keep some or all of good money and exchange the rest for goods and services you wish to consume.

If only.

If you do #1 how do you insure #2 happens? Commerce with Bitcoin is difficult to say the least. With Bitcoins it is either Pay first and hope you get goods or services, or transfer goods or services and hope that you get paid.

But isn't the same true of cash?  If you pay someone with cash, how can you be sure that they will deliver the service or merchandise purchased?  If you provide goods or services to someone who will be paying with cash, how do you know that they will pay?

Bitcoin as a payment network protects merchants from fraud, theft, and chargebacks as long as the seller receives payment.  But bitcoin as a currency has the same problems as all other currencies in that there is a level of trust necessary to engage in a transaction.

Other currencies deal with this problem with trusted third-party services that handle the exchange and reversal of transactions.  Eventually bitcoin will likely also have such services.

Actually, other currancies deal with this problem with a legal system in place  to offer  backup. You can't sue for bitcoins, you can't use them in everyday purchases. With out a physical coin to use in everyday purchases, it will be relegated to be a second class currency. There may be a place for bitcoins as an international exchange currency, but even that is hindered by the simple inability to convert it to other currencies.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dairy100

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:25:51 PM

Amusingly you can actually buy bitcoin. I don't mean those physical ones from 2011 with a code on the back. I've seen people selling bitcoins, and the prices are actually higher that mtgox pices.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:31:28 PM

Other currencies deal with this problem with trusted third-party services that handle the exchange and reversal of transactions.  Eventually bitcoin will likely also have such services.
Actually, other currancies deal with this problem with a legal system in place  to offer  backup. You can't sue for bitcoins, you can't use them in everyday purchases. With out a physical coin to use in everyday purchases, it will be relegated to be a second class currency. There may be a place for bitcoins as an international exchange currency, but even that is hindered by the simple inability to convert it to other currencies.

Both methods are possible with other currencies.  I can make a purchase using my Visa card, and Visa will reverse the charges if I can show that the merchant didn't provide the goods or services.

In addition to that, if two parties are in disagreement about a transaction or contract, there is a court system available to settle the dispute and mechanisms in place to attempt to force payment of funds determined by the court to be owed.

I'm not aware of any settled court cases yet regarding a dispute involving bitcoins, but in theory the courts should treat a contract that requires payment in bitcoins the same way they would any barter contract.  If the court finds that the merchant did not deliver on their contractual obligations, the courts should either require them to deliver as promised or require that they compensate the consumer with local currency (U.S. dollars?) an amount equivalent to the court determined value of the obligation.

The sort of protections that Visa supplies are already available in bitcoin through escrow services.  In time, I suspect that payment processors and banks will be developed to supply consumer protections.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:33:00 PM

Amusingly you can actually buy bitcoin. I don't mean those physical ones from 2011 with a code on the back. I've seen people selling bitcoins, and the prices are actually higher that mtgox pices.

How is this amusing?  You can buy Euro, Yen, and Dollars as well.  How else would one convert their local currency for some other currency?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: