Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:41:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $20k Missing at Mt. Gox  (Read 1764 times)
dustintrammell (OP)
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 02:46:47 AM

tl;dr: Review and reconcile your Mt. Gox account history against your other systems (Dwolla, Bank account, etc.), you very well could have missing money...

A couple of days ago I was reviewing my Mt. Gox account history and I noticed a strange discrepancy.  I had two withdrawals in the past few weeks, each for $10k, that were marked as "error".  I withdraw to Dwolla, so I went and checked my Dwolla history and indeed found that those two withdrawals had not shown up in my Dwolla account.  The terrifying thing was that the transactions marked as "error" had deducted the USD from my account, but NOT CREDITED IT BACK TO MY ACCOUNT AFTERWARD.  Thus, $20k USD was essentially missing from my account.

I opened a support ticket with Mt. Gox to make them aware of the issue and once a support representative was assigned to my case (~24 hours later or so), and after convincing them that this was indeed a real issue (their side showed all withdrawals processed), they were very expedient and attentive to my issue and we had it solved within 48 hours.  The solution was for them to re-process transactions in question which then succeeded and changed the status of the withdrawals in question from "error" to "processed" and the expected funds then showed up in my Dwolla account.

For all the flak that Mt. Gox has been getting lately regarding their technology, I am impressed more and more each time I have an issue by their attention to customer support.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jp

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 01:57:24 AM

That's inexcusable. For a company their size that is able to practically print money, they should be able to have the resources to hire more expedient support. Sorry to hear about your troubles =(

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
Phil21

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:35:58 AM

48 hours sounds like a pretty fair resolution time to me.  Kudos to mt.gox.

I've not been Mtgox's biggest fan, but I also had an issue (100% caused by myself) and they handled it well with a proper resolution when they really didn't have to.  I gained a lot of respect for them after that.

Now if only other exchanges were so forthcoming.. I'm missing a wire that is now 8 days past due from another exchange which will remain nameless for now.  Perhaps just a mixup, but I'm slowly losing faith based on them stating they re-sent the wire and it still hasn't shown.  Mtgox wires?  No problem.
Mt.Gox_Support_Natalie

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

tl;dr: Review and reconcile your Mt. Gox account history against your other systems (Dwolla, Bank account, etc.), you very well could have missing money...

A couple of days ago I was reviewing my Mt. Gox account history and I noticed a strange discrepancy.  I had two withdrawals in the past few weeks, each for $10k, that were marked as "error".  I withdraw to Dwolla, so I went and checked my Dwolla history and indeed found that those two withdrawals had not shown up in my Dwolla account.  The terrifying thing was that the transactions marked as "error" had deducted the USD from my account, but NOT CREDITED IT BACK TO MY ACCOUNT AFTERWARD.  Thus, $20k USD was essentially missing from my account.

I opened a support ticket with Mt. Gox to make them aware of the issue and once a support representative was assigned to my case (~24 hours later or so), and after convincing them that this was indeed a real issue (their side showed all withdrawals processed), they were very expedient and attentive to my issue and we had it solved within 48 hours.  The solution was for them to re-process transactions in question which then succeeded and changed the status of the withdrawals in question from "error" to "processed" and the expected funds then showed up in my Dwolla account.

For all the flak that Mt. Gox has been getting lately regarding their technology, I am impressed more and more each time I have an issue by their attention to customer support.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment.  It means so much to our Team for all that has been happening lately.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:55:01 PM

I have the same issue. I initiated a withdrawal and funds were deducted from my account, and the Status shows as error, and the funds did not reach dwolla. Opening a support ticket asap. Thanks for the heads-up. 

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:06:32 PM

That's inexcusable. For a company their size

What size? They are two fat dudes in a basement.
jp

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:47:36 AM

That's inexcusable. For a company their size

What size? They are two fat dudes in a basement.

Sorry, I thought that my entire sentence made it clear as to what the word "size" meant in this context. Here's the sentence:

For a company their size that is able to practically print money, they should be able to have the resources to hire more expedient support.

I'd think that Mt. Gox could use their resources (i.e. size) to hire expedient and attentive support.

-JP

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:43:49 AM

Money magically evaporates out of your account? If you haven't been paying attention, that's how Dwolla works.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:15:21 AM

I have the same issue. I initiated a withdrawal and funds were deducted from my account, and the Status shows as error, and the funds did not reach dwolla. Opening a support ticket asap. Thanks for the heads-up. 

Wanted to say I am very pleased with the quick resolution of this issue by MtGox support!

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: