Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:06:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can ETH be an attractive long term investment?  (Read 1268 times)
pereira4 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 05:06:20 PM

ETH is inflationary currency, which means more coins will be added into the supply infinitely.

ETH is a PoS (soon to be) coin, which means all the big banksters can control it.

ETH is a system that has shown weakness in the past, hard forked in a stupid way, and its creator told exchanges to stop all trading to avoid people from panic selling, a total disaster. Can you imagine if satoshi told exchanges to stop trading?

In any case, I think ETH will grow in short-midterm, but long term? Im not sure about that at all. In fact, I see nothing but bitcoin as a good long term investment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Calydon

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 05:15:25 PM

You're right... But only future will tell...
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 06:24:06 PM

Yeah, ETH killed itself with the hard fork.  They should have just let learned from that instead of being butt hurt.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Rockie1234

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 07:30:32 PM

Yeah, ETH killed itself with the hard fork.  They should have just let learned from that instead of being butt hurt.

I wouldn't say it killed himself, that's perhaps too far, but it's hard to see them making progress any time soon. ETC is equally stagnant and has been for a while now. The problem with any altcoin to do with smart contracts is it is much harder to grow. For most bitcoin-related people, smart contracts are not that high up on their priority list. That's because most people aren't developers, and therefore they can't use them to their full extent. If bitcoin people find ethereum complex, imagine what ordinary people would think.
mining1

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 07:32:46 PM

How exactly is ETH being stagnant ? It's the fastest developing project out there. Only a fool would think otherwise. And, if eth killed itself with a hardfork, then wait for it because 2-3 more hardforks will follow in the future. Which means it will kill itself atleast 2-3 times more. Idiots.
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 07:38:13 PM

I wanted to start getting into ETH but then whenever i do something in the back of my mind always stops me from pulling the trigger and actually buying any with the bitcoin that i have.
And then the memory of the etc/eth split and the hard forking always puts my mind back into perspective.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
Rockie1234

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 07:39:57 PM

How exactly is ETH being stagnant ? It's the fastest developing project out there. Only a fool would think otherwise. And, if eth killed itself with a hardfork, then wait for it because 2-3 more hardforks will follow in the future. Which means it will kill itself atleast 2-3 times more. Idiots.

Sorry if that came off the wrong way. ETH is not "stagnant" so to speak, but for a coin that has such a significantly larger market cap to other coins (for example 5x the market cap of DASH), the price is not doing that well recently. Of course, the developers and communities are active, just in the same way as ETC, who are also planning major updates soon. I really don't understand your point about hard forks, ETC branched because it was the "original" chain. It also proved ETH developers had the power to roll back a blockchain, not exactly trustworthy is it?
mining1

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 08:01:27 PM

Lol. You're clearly either missinformed or have no ideea about what you're talking. First of all, you cannot compare ethereum with any other project out there. It's like comparing a fusion nuclear power plant with a bonfire. Ethereum aims high, overly ambitious roadmap and huge dev pool, and the likes of dash aim low, aiming to be able to do the basic tasks of what blockchains natively do, transfer of value / currency.
ETC is a joke, it doesn't really have a development team that can keep up with ethereum's original promises, that's why they are trying to fork it into something similar to what bitcoin is, a project aiming to become currency / transfer of value ( which even bitcoin failed to achieve ).
Original chain is the chain with the biggest community, projects in work, live projects and development team. And that's ethereum, not even worth a debate. Ethereum developers can only provide options for the future path, not enforce it, since miners actually vote / chose. If they could enforce it then they wouldn't have to beg the community to lower or rise the gas when the spams happened, or after when they were stopped.
P.S: Who really is decentralized, ethereum, which casts vote whenever something important comes up ( like the dao ) or the likes of ETC, which planned to move away from ethereum's original promise of a dapp/contract platform and move it to something similar to bitcoin what bitcoin is ?
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:21:30 AM

Ethereum might never realize it's goals. Look how they burned through the first millions. Once the money dries up, so will ethereum. Unless they can keep development afloat with pump&dumps that is.

Buterin also admitted in one of his early blogs, ethereum would eventually become a community project. You can decipher that for yourself.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 03:08:08 AM

Yes many projects be builded on ethereum network, and always there are projects be builded on ethereum network, that is mean ethereum be updated by developers, investors and comunity, also hard fork are not kill itself but it is fixing the bugs on ethereum blockchain.
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 03:22:47 AM

ETH is inflationary currency, which means more coins will be added into the supply infinitely.
Gold is an inflationary currency too. I think the world gold supply increases around 2% every year. How much does Etherium increaee each year?
ekoice

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:38:40 PM

Yes, people have already lost faith in Ethereum due to hard fork.I dont think Ethereum will benefit when kept as a long term investment.Its already bleeding due to bitcoin rally.
azgal0r

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 06:44:09 PM

USD is inflationary currency, which means more coins will be added into the supply infinitely.

All the big banksters can control it.

USD is a system that has shown weakness in the past, some exchanges to stop all trading to avoid people from panic selling, a total disaster.

In any case, I think USD will grow in short-midterm, but long term? Im not sure about that at all. In fact, I see nothing but bitcoin as a good long term investment.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 10:21:26 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2017, 06:20:46 AM by iamnotback

In any case, I think USDETH will grow in short-midterm, but long term? Im not sure about that at all. In fact, I see nothing but bitcoin as a good long term investment.

Agreed. <-- click link

Other thoughts:

Ethereum can't scale adoption decentralized.

@iamnotback but you do realise that, compared to all other projects out there ( except bitcoin since it was first ) ethereum is really undervalued, that if you take under consideration the whole ecosystem it has build around it. I mean, if clones like dash can have 1/4 of ethereum's cap it's really sad.
Also, leaving aside everything that makes ethereum what it is today, it also brought blockchain developing as a job into the mainstream.

I agree unless someone demonstrates that both Dash and Ethereum are not truly viable for adoption and another way is. Then you can see both of them implode, if they can't adopt that other paradigm quickly enough.

That is a lot of "ifs". For the near-term, I agree with you that the likely outcome is more interest piled into these (what I think are "mine the speculator") paradigms.

I see nothing worth in Bitcoin except speculation.

Bitcoin is the most liquid hub or reserve currency of all the experimentation required to bring blockchains out of the Pong and Pacman era to where they are headed.

Lower highs, lower lows, and a trend downwards for Bitcoin's dominance:

http://coinmarketcap.com/charts/#btc-percentage
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 10:28:25 PM

Yes many projects be builded on ethereum network, and always there are projects be builded on ethereum network, that is mean ethereum be updated by developers, investors and comunity, also hard fork are not kill itself but it is fixing the bugs on ethereum blockchain.

Ya it is true that latest their are so many ICO which are performing their project on Ethererum Platform so this is a good for ETH as this all project coins have to move through eth network and for all transaction you have to pay gas through ETH so i think that this is good for long term investment on ETH as the projects started on ETH platform if flourish then it will be good for ETH only as their will lot of transaction and like this ETH will receive lot of transaction fees as profit.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 10:31:01 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 11:18:11 PM by iamnotback

Ya it is true that latest their are so many ICO which are performing their project on Ethererum Platform so this is a good for ETH as this all project coins have to move through eth network and for all transaction you have to pay gas through ETH

Unless you consider the possibility of my point which was that ICOs may drain (cannabilize) ETH into app tokens (which presumably might be sold for BTC or fiat by those issuing the ICO) if you don't have new money entering ETH from BTC. Also there could be 0 gas demand for these app projects since they seem to mostly be delusional "scams" which will never attain any adoption.

I tend to agree there will be a near-term speculators wet pants boost for ETH, but long-term I see Ethereum as a massive failure in the making. I see the app tokens ICO proliferation as the last hooray for ETH and it will die smoldering in hacks and the inherent lack of utility of the concept of an app token and the proliferation of pie-in-the-sky "scam" projects. Besides Ethereum's blockchain can't scale to massive adoption. And Casper (PoS plans) can't scale decentralized (c.f. the Ethereum Paradox thread). And the competition is coming...

Ethereum will be known as the scammers and hackers paradise ecosystem after this. I'm waiting for someone to do a Bruce Wanker-style subtitled YouTube with Coolio's Gangster's Paradise as the video and background music.

Okay the wildcard is that via all the experimentation that some Ethereum app becomes a killer app of blockchains and Ethereum copies my decentralized blockchain design (but do you think I am going to let them to that!). If the experimentation does produce any good ideas, the community will just steal it over to the blockchain that can scale. In short, I don't think Ethereum has anything special. Even the model of a Turing-complete blockchain is prone to hacks.

Well Ethereum has one thing special, which is it enables massive, permissionless (decentralized) experimentation and speculator demand. This also brings more people into the crypto ecosystem. Sometimes the details are less important then the main theme as stated in the prior sentence.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: