Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:14:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If your Mt. Gox account has been compromised, PLEASE READ.  (Read 34527 times)
vergodusk

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:29:59 PM

im still kinda confused? i know when i tried to log in this morning it seemed that i didn't even have and account with MtGox. I havn't contacted customer service yet, but i do feel fortunate that i only had about $9.00 USD in it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zzeroo

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 09:34:32 PM

Last 2 days I receive tons of email like this

Dear Mt.Gox user,

Our database has been compromised, including your email...

The joke about, I've never registered to Mt. Gox. Is Mt. Gox in colaboration with this forum? Or any officiel Bitcoin site?
botnet

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:49:41 PM

mybitcoin.com hacked, same address as others

* How much funds did you lose?
4.53 BTC from mybitcoin.com

* To what address were your stolen funds sent?
1MAazCWMydsQB5ynYXqSGQDjNQMN3HFmEu

* What OS are you using (Windows, Linux, Mac OSX ...)?
Windows 7 x64

* How long was your old password?
12 characters

* Was your old password random?
Yes

* Was your username the same on Mt. Gox as on the forum?
Yes

* Did you use your Mt. Gox password somewhere else?
Yes, mybitcoin

* Did your old password contain lowercase letters, uppercase letters, special characters and numbers?
Yes

* Have you used any Bitcoin-related software, and if yes, what software? Think about things like miners, wallet managers, etc.
Yes, phoenix official build

* Please also include a screenshot if possible so we know it's a real report.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2hn99xw.png
Infinity1

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

I'm OG

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:54:28 PM

I saw it crash to a couple cents per coin. Luckily I didn't register there yet...
LittleGnome

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:41:38 AM

I don't know if I've lost anything, because I can no longer access my mybitcoin.com account. They have a notice up saying that if your user name and email were the same as one found in the MtGox leak they reset your password, and "We will send you a new one to your email address".

Haven't got it.

Ironically I had already reset my password in response to this mess.

So, am I out my 3.0 BTC?

'Cuz I'm pretty poor right now, and ~50 bux would have been quite useful.
Mr2001

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:55:22 AM

I've seen some other references to the "change password" feature not working in the days before the attack. Has there been any statement on what caused that? If the account database was stolen several days before the attack, could the hacker have broken it intentionally to make sure the passwords stayed valid?
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:28:27 AM

I don't know if I've lost anything, because I can no longer access my mybitcoin.com account. They have a notice up saying that if your user name and email were the same as one found in the MtGox leak they reset your password, and "We will send you a new one to your email address".

Haven't got it.

So, am I out my 3.0 BTC?

Try contacting MyBitcoin about it from the email that is registered to your account.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
LittleGnome

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:51:39 AM

Haven't got it.

So, am I out my 3.0 BTC?

Try contacting MyBitcoin about it from the email that is registered to your account.

They have no contact info on their site beyond snail mail.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:54:37 AM

mybitcoin account hacked, lost all my coins, a LOT of them

this is the direct result of the mtgox hack/leak
KMBTC11

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:22:08 AM

Just read that they've pushed back to reopening again.  Now there's no deadline just a 'reopening soon' message.  I was just beginning to test out BCs and only had a few but it would be nice to get into my account and change my word.
bitcoin.monger

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:51:27 AM

Thank you all for the info!

Please keep posting the details if you were hacked.
Bitcoin transactions can be tracked since one cannot send bitcoins from a different address than the address used to receive them.

What if we would build a database with all the addresses to which stolen bitcoins were transferred, and not accept transactions from these addresses?

A community-driven www.bitcoincop.com?

If none of us would accept transactions with "tainted" addresses in the chain, stealing coins would become pointless.
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:06:27 AM

Thank you all for the info!

Please keep posting the details if you were hacked.
Bitcoin transactions can be tracked since one cannot send bitcoins from a different address than the address used to receive them.

What if we would build a database with all the addresses to which stolen bitcoins were transferred, and not accept transactions from these addresses?

A community-driven www.bitcoincop.com?

If none of us would accept transactions with "tainted" addresses in the chain, stealing coins would become pointless.
This has been suggested before, and not a good idea as it can never be voluntary.

If you make a 'voluntary' system of blacklisting coins, that means you indirectly force EVERYONE to adhere to that system, because otherwise you may accept coins that you cannot spend anywhere later.
Not to mention how coins get mixed up in exchanges etc.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Jat1668

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:06:04 PM

I've yet to learn how much I've lost. If total..$20.00 not a whole lot.
iBug

Activity: 55

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:22:26 PM

The Mt.Gox Account recovery service has now started, please go to
https://claim.mtgox.com
and enter as many data (bank name of deposits or withdraws, last account balance, ...) as you have in order to claim your account.

And please, include lowercase and uppercase letters as well as some numbers and symbols.
And just to make sure, make it 15-20 characters long.
mahun

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:00:44 PM

The Mt.Gox Account recovery service has now started, please go to
https://claim.mtgox.com
and enter as many data (bank name of deposits or withdraws, last account balance, ...) as you have in order to claim your account.

And please, include lowercase and uppercase letters as well as some numbers and symbols.
And just to make sure, make it 15-20 characters long.

Heh... Here is what I got - The password for this account is invalid, or this account is not currently under claim process.

Password is 101% valid (well, at least it exact to one I used to register). So here it go - mtgox.com just trying to scam people away to cover their asses.
TheMummy

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:26:55 PM

I am too. The password for this account is invalid, or this account is not currently under claim process.  Huh
iBug

Activity: 55

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:00:35 PM

I am too. The password for this account is invalid, or this account is not currently under claim process.  Huh
Sorry to read this, all I can tell is that it worked for me.
Maybe you want to try it once again, as there's always the possibility of entering the wrong password.

Anyway, this message isn't something unusual, a lot of users are getting that error.
The problem is known and Mark Karpeles is working on it. (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20653.msg258264#msg258264)
Just try again in a few hours.

And don't worry, trades won't resume until most of the users have claimed their accounts, which probably will take some days. I'm not even sure if Mt. Gox is going to be fully operating before the end of this week.
MBH

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:15:37 PM

Hello people,

I have about $900 invested in MtGox and although I panicked at first, following MtGox's updated page shows that they're really working hard on recovering everything and making sure their systems are up & running.

According to their page: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20208066-huge-bitcoin-sell-off-due-to-a-compromised-account-rollback
they got compromised because of an auditor who had read-only access to their DB and his machine was infected. So the site itself wasn't hacked.

I just filed the claim process and all went well without errors. If you are getting errors, then consider putting a wrong password then put in as much info as you can for them to give your claim credit over other claims on your account. They're allowing multiple claims per account for that specific reason: In case someone changed your password before they took the site offline.

You can provide last used funds, transactions, documents and many other things.

Seeing how MtGox has been handling this and the amount of hard work they've put into it, I'm staying with them. Going to another exchange doesn't automagically solve the problem & their infrastructure might be even less secure, putting you at risk AGAIN!

I'm not promoting for MtGox. I simply appreciate the hard work put into recovering from this hellish situation.
pjce

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:30:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I made a claim at MtGox, don't know yet how much I lost.
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:37:58 PM

Sill, it is taking an UNBELIEVABLY long time to fix this problem.

Mr. "MagicalTux" should have hired some more people or brought some talented executive into his organization before this point to be able to restore confidence.  Some kind of announcement like "we are bringing in this experienced, talented financial service expert/executive to help run our exchange because we have realized we can't do it right."

He clearly doesn't have what it takes to run the #1 exchange for a $100 million plus market cap currency.  Something like this security breach should have been resolved in HOURS, NOT DAYS.  This is a major unforgiveable failure and all you posters seeing it any other way must have ZERO experience in dealing with stocks, bonds, currency, and other exchanges/financial services companies.  Imagine if a sovereign nation's currency exchange went down for a week.  Or you bank sent you an e-mail saying "someone got $1000 taken from their online banking account, so no one can withdraw or deposit money until next week".  Amateur, unforgivable bullshit.  No excuses, Tux needs to get professional help.  I rest my case.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: