Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:44:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave ( PART 2 !!!!!!!!)  (Read 106652 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
darkshaddows

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 05:46:47 AM

@ Citronik, since it's 1 Warehouse, I think it's best to have 1 big Core switch like Bhugatti's recommendation of the 48 Gigabit Cisco.  I have that switch but the older 10/100 which great but I think the Gigabit one is much better as it can handle negotiation better with newer switches.  It does P.O.E as well so you can power your security camera via Ethernet which is anothe plus.  Put it in a location where it is easy to run to other devices.  If your warehouse is not massive, the distance should be well within the latency range.  I run from garage to Shed which is over 100 ft wires, and no latency issues.  Best part is that it's super Cheap and is Enterprise class even better than Biz class.

Yes, people are reporting great results with SRR.  Mine is coming soon and I can't wait.  Right now I'm trying to see when the Expansion pack will be available.  My goals is to use multiple SRR bases.  One for each of my Rack so that if a client wants to reboot or work with their Rack, they can do so without asking for my assistance.  For my Shed it would require just 1 base SRR and 1 Expansion pack.  The APC haven't help me save any money, if anything, it cost me over $600 more for the 6 APC over using my more powerful Dell PDUs that I already have.  The more rigs you have, the more likely 1 of them is going to act up.  SRR will pay for itself very fast.  

@ darkshaddows - Rosewill cases.  I do everything myself as it's too expensive to buy prebuilt nor would that solution meet my need for the Furies.  One man show.  However I break it down to assembly line type style where even my kids and wife can help move the line and I get things done in 1/4 the average time someone else would do these.  I will discuss that assembly line in later.    I do have a demanding full time job so efficiency is a must because at the end of the day, I must still leave some time to enjoy dinner with my kids and wife plus walk my wonderful Dog.  

If possible, can you link us to the cases? Will try it out.

Cheers
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:20:39 AM

As I am writing this, I just won a 24 port HP Procurve Enterprise switch for $3 plus 17 shipping.  Hahaha.  Great for backup in my office.  I don't need anything beyond 10/100 for mining.

P.S If you have DSL and you're forced to use their Router / DSL Modem, that could cause some headache if it's underpowered once you have over 20 hosts.  

Procurve for 20 bucks -- omg - you da man!

Btw, thanks to you... my first Rosewill case just arrived.
Plenty to experiment here and hopefully tidy up by warehouse and get those temps down.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
darkshaddows

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:36:42 AM

As I am writing this, I just won a 24 port HP Procurve Enterprise switch for $3 plus 17 shipping.  Hahaha.  Great for backup in my office.  I don't need anything beyond 10/100 for mining.

https://i.imgur.com/YWbVmPB.jpg

P.S If you have DSL and you're forced to use their Router / DSL Modem, that could cause some headache if it's underpowered once you have over 20 hosts.  

Plenty to experiment here and hopefully tidy up by warehouse and get those temps down.

Hi Citronick!

What case did you get buddy?
How difficult is the modifying process?

This info will be of great help, Cheers!
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 06:49:12 AM

Is there a reason you guys aren't using wifi?

On aliexpress, usb wifi sticks are $2 each with shipping. I tried it on one rig and the ping only increased 100ms and is very stable. Simple, cheap and no cables. 2 wifi routers for redundancy and good to go.

Granted that may change if we get a coin which requires a lot of data to be sent.
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:52:53 AM

Hi Citronick!

still in the box - I will probably get started tomorrow.

Description: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis / Server Case / Rackmount Case, Metal Rack Mount Computer Case support with 15 bays 7 Fans Pre-Installed (RSV-L4500)

In US: you can get it from Amazon, Newegg the usual suspects.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B0091IZ1ZG

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:00:07 AM

On aliexpress, usb wifi sticks are $2 each with shipping. I tried it on one rig and the ping only increased 100ms and is very stable. Simple, cheap and no cables. 2 wifi routers for redundancy and good to go.

Granted that may change if we get a coin which requires a lot of data to be sent.

This makes sense actually. Even more KISS I would think.

Especially for my case where all the rigs are contained within the warehouse and racks not more than 5-10 10-20 feet from each other.

I have about a dozen EDIMAX USB adapters and works well with Windows and Linux.

Also got Tytanick to get his smOS to support WIFI.

reelen

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:15:55 AM

Hi Citronick!

still in the box - I will probably get started tomorrow.

Description: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis / Server Case / Rackmount Case, Metal Rack Mount Computer Case support with 15 bays 7 Fans Pre-Installed (RSV-L4500)

In US: you can get it from Amazon, Newegg the usual suspects.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B0091IZ1ZG

Unless you are using Spotswood insert, that requires the 15 bay EATX, save yourself some coin and go with the 8 bay version found here: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Rackmount-Computer-Pre-Installed-RSV-L4500/dp/B0056OUTBK?th=1

Trust me I've built a few of these now. (haven't finished with clean up yet) Smiley

bughatti

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:21:24 AM

Especially for my case where all the rigs are contained in the warehouse and not more than 20 feet from each other.

So many issues could arise with doing this, me personally I would not but if you want to, a few things to think about.

--At least make sure it is all 5ghz.
--Get a wifi scanner app for your phone and scan for other freq's in the area, most people will leave basic home wireless routers on auto to choose the least used freq and auto change.  Find the least used and set it to that freq so it doesn't change.  Im in a heavily populated suburb and to quit having issues with neighbors, I set all 3 of my wireless AP's to 5ghz upper and set freq to an unused freq.
--Get a wireless router that will support DD-WRT and flash them all.  Make sure all are set to pure AP mode and keep wireless security to same SSID and passwords so if 1 goes down, another will pick up.
--Here is the biggest kicker, some people and devices have the ability to shut your wireless connections down by sending deAuthentication packets via wireless.  If you have a nosy neighbor or someone just bored, this can get very frustrating.
--Best thing would be to disable SSID broadcast and setup mac authentication.  Its a bit of work up front because you have to input all wireless device MACs into the AP but it helps and is much more secure, unless someone can spoof your mac Sad

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:31:06 AM

Especially for my case where all the rigs are contained in the warehouse and not more than 20 feet from each other.

So many issues could arise with doing this, me personally I would not but if you want to, a few things to think about.

--At least make sure it is all 5ghz.
--Get a wifi scanner app for your phone and scan for other freq's in the area, most people will leave basic home wireless routers on auto to choose the least used freq and auto change.  Find the least used and set it to that freq so it doesn't change.  Im in a heavily populated suburb and to quit having issues with neighbors, I set all 3 of my wireless AP's to 5ghz upper and set freq to an unused freq.
--Get a wireless router that will support DD-WRT and flash them all.  Make sure all are set to pure AP mode and keep wireless security to same SSID and passwords so if 1 goes down, another will pick up.
--Here is the biggest kicker, some people and devices have the ability to shut your wireless connections down by sending deAuthentication packets via wireless.  If you have a nosy neighbor or someone just bored, this can get very frustrating.
--Best thing would be to disable SSID broadcast and setup mac authentication.  Its a bit of work up front because you have to input all wireless device MACs into the AP but it helps and is much more secure, unless someone can spoof your mac Sad

Wifi isn't a pro solution, there is far too much problems with it (stability, security, jamming, radiation emission and so on), especially when you concentrate many wifi devices in a small space, recipe for disasters, believe in the wire or the optical fibers, it's been proven to be the best ! As we demonstrated you can get very cheap switch & cables. go for them ! Don't be cheap, and go for the easiest / cheaper solution you'll come to regret it when you're losing mining time.
yun9999 (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:46:27 AM

FIRST RULE OF MINING if you want to MAKE Money.  You will thank me later.

1) SAY NO TO WIFI!  
2) SAY NO TO POWERLINE Adapters

Let's not have a hundred back and forth discussion on this.  I will explain why.  

WIFI is good for a few rigs, maybe for Test Stations.  The more devices you add, the more it will cause interference / issues.  Even my trusted Power Line Adapters started having issues over time and this COST ME LOTS of $$$.  All this because I didn't want to pay for the Ethernet runs.  I end up paying for the Ethernet run anyway plus the revenue loss.   Most Home router CPU are not designed to handle too many devices at once either.   If you're mining inside your HOME or garage, not only is your gear if open Air, going to JAM the signal pretty badly, it will also degrade the WIFI signal badly.  I got to a point where I can't even open my Garage door due to interference.  This is via the Garage door Clicker and outside panel.  My Chamberlain and Rachioo both are wireless stop working until I shut everything off.  All my friends who did WIFI and PowerLine eventually shell out for hard wire.  You simply can not beat hard wire.  Would you trust a cell phone or a land line when you have a very important call?  Same idea.  It would work most of the time, but the 1 time you need it to work it may fail on you.  

FOR TEMP solution - SURE but plan on having hard wire ONLY if you're going to be SERIOUS about mining.
emdje

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 08:02:43 AM

1) SAY NO TO WIFI!  

Let's not have a hundred back and forth discussion on this.  I will explain why.  

WIFI is good for a few rigs, maybe for Test Stations.  The more devices you add, the more it will cause interference / issues.  Even my trusted Power Line Adapters started having issues over time and this COST ME LOTS of $$$.  All this because I didn't want to pay for the Ethernet runs.  I end up paying for the Ethernet run anyway plus the revenue loss.   Most Home router CPU are not designed to handle too many devices at once either.   If you're mining inside your HOME or garage, not only is your gear if open Air, going to JAM the signal pretty badly, it will also degrade the WIFI signal badly.  I got to a point where I can't even open my Garage door due to interference.  This is via the Garage door Clicker and outside panel.  My Chamberlain and Rachioo both are wireless stop working until I shut everything off.  All my friends who did WIFI and PowerLine eventually shell out for hard wire.  You simply can not beat hard wire.  Would you trust a cell phone or a land line when you have a very important call?  Same idea.  It would work most of the time, but the 1 time you need it to work it may fail on you.  

FOR TEMP solution - SURE but plan on having hard wire ONLY if you're going to be SERIOUS about mining.

Hallelujah  Cheesy

Especially the Powerline adapters are the worst, ever been on the same power group with your speakers and listened to music? You can here the data being downloaded  Roll Eyes

Always go wired indeed!
citronick
Legendary

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 08:58:10 AM

1) SAY NO TO WIFI!  

Hallelujah  Cheesy

Especially the Powerline adapters are the worst, ever been on the same power group with your speakers and listened to music? You can here the data being downloaded  Roll Eyes

Always go wired indeed!

Thats reminds me of my first few rigs - that were on wifi - it was ok at first but had to move to wired when I moved to the warehouse because the layout of racks and also I had to now support ASIC miners for my team. WIFI is still ok for test or very useful for troubleshooting.

groovy1962

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 09:35:38 AM

I'm still working on my open air rigs, but wanted to ask about how you guys with racks deal with maintenance.  Years ago I had a 42U rack full of stuff and it was always a hassle.  Everything was held by the bolts in the from flanges.

I wanted to get some sort of drawer system to pull things out, like this:
Rosewill Server Rack Rails / Server Slide Rails / Server Rails , 26" Three Section Ball-Bearing Sliding Server Rail Kit (RSV-R27LX) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3FJ5HC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CluTyb9TVYEM5

But IIRC in the other thread someone said this was a bad idea.

How do you handle it if one of the nodes in the middle of a rack goes down?

Also- anyone got a primer on how to work with 240V?  A link would be good.  I don't need a stove, LOL!, perfect spot for a half rack.  But i would want to use off the shelf cabling to go from the stove outlet to a PDU to the power supplies.  But finding adapter cables has proven difficult- there are so many different formats for NEMA connectors for 249V.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 11:46:39 AM

I'm still working on my open air rigs, but wanted to ask about how you guys with racks deal with maintenance.  Years ago I had a 42U rack full of stuff and it was always a hassle.  Everything was held by the bolts in the from flanges.

I wanted to get some sort of drawer system to pull things out, like this:
Rosewill Server Rack Rails / Server Slide Rails / Server Rails , 26" Three Section Ball-Bearing Sliding Server Rail Kit (RSV-R27LX) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3FJ5HC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CluTyb9TVYEM5

But IIRC in the other thread someone said this was a bad idea.

How do you handle it if one of the nodes in the middle of a rack goes down?

Also- anyone got a primer on how to work with 240V?  A link would be good.  I don't need a stove, LOL!, perfect spot for a half rack.  But i would want to use off the shelf cabling to go from the stove outlet to a PDU to the power supplies.  But finding adapter cables has proven difficult- there are so many different formats for NEMA connectors for 249V.

photo your stove plug post it.

also tell us your circuit beaker size for the stove.

I will give you links

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
bughatti

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 03:28:49 PM

For anyone interested here is a good find on ebay, they have more than 10 available.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C3750G-24T-S-Switch-24-Port-Layer-3-Gigabit-EnterpriseSwitch-Latest-IOS-/301698023821?hash=item463e9a818d:g:MKMAAOSwcu5UOiVe  I think I may get this to replace my 7 year old 3560g and move the 3560g to the ToR for my mining rigs.
groovy1962

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 03:53:29 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2017, 04:13:11 PM by groovy1962

I will give you links

Thanks. Planning to start with dryer outlet. Then stovexlater if/when I run out of watt capacity.

Stove- 40A:
https://imgur.com/a/fRfJQ

Dryer- 20A:
https://imgur.com/a/NmQSO

Would like to go from these to a to a bunch of NEMA 5-15.  I'm using off the shelf HomeKit smart plugs to monitor energy usage and switch things on and off. (They are rated at 240V). But that's not a requirement.
dumpida

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 05:41:16 PM

Mining Motherboard Review

See Slot 2 not showing up as connected / RED?  That's the one I need to fix.  Open Case cover, receded or replace that riser.  FAST / EASY!  For other MBs, I would have to do isolations testing which is more time consuming.  Oh yeah, that's my Long Island Ice Tea.  Got to have a nice drink while working on Rigs.

How does the above process work? Is that a BIOS feature or you use heat detector to find which one is not red?

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████████ ▀███████▄
▄█████████████   ▀██████▄
▄█████████ ▀████▄   ▀█████▄
██████████  ██████▄   █████
█████ ▀████▄ ▀██████▄ █████
█████   ▀████▄ ▀ ██████████
▀█████▄   ▀████▄ █████████▀
▀██████▄   █████████████▀
▀███████▄ ████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
Emporium.
Finance
Decentralized Peer-to-Peer
Marketplace and DeFi
Liquidity Mining Platform
▄▄█▀▀██▀██▀▄▄
▄███▀██▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄   
 ▀          ▄█▀▄█▄     
▄▄▄▄▄        ▀   ▀██▄███▄
▄██████▄          ▄▄██████▄
███████▌       ▄███████████
█████████▄  ▀█▄████████████
███████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀████████
▀█████████████▀     ▀▀████▀
▀████████████▄        ██▀
▀████████████▌    ▄▄██▀
▀██████████▌  ▄███▀
▀▀██████ ▄█▀▀
Available
in +125
Countries
▄███▄
█████
▀███▀
▄▄▄     ▄█████▄     ▄▄▄
█████    ███████    █████
█████    ███████    █████
▄███▄               ▄███▄
███████     ███     ███████
███████ ██▄█████▄██ ███████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███▀ ▀███  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▄ ▄███
██▀█████▀██
███
Community
Governance
System
▄▄██████▄▄ ▄▀▄
      ▀▀▀ ▄██▄
          ▀██ ▄██▄       ▄█
        ▄██   ▀▀███▄   ▄███
       ▄██        ▀█▄   ███
      ▄██           ▀  ▄███
     ▄██        ▄▄     ▀███
    ▄██        ██▀      ███
   ▄██                ▄████
  ▄██         ▄█████████▄ █
  ▀▀      ▄▄▄█████ █▀  ████
      ▄▄██▀▀██▀  ███▄  ▄███
    ▄██████████████████████
Liquidity
Mining
Platform
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
.JOIN NOW.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 05:43:59 PM

I will give you links

Thanks. Planning to start with dryer outlet. Then stovexlater if/when I run out of watt capacity.

Stove- 40A:

Dryer- 20A:

Would like to go from these to a to a bunch of NEMA 5-15.  I'm using off the shelf HomeKit smart plugs to monitor energy usage and switch things on and off. (They are rated at 240V). But that's not a requirement.

you could buy these right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-2-Dell-0TP065-Switched-Rack-PDU-Power-Distribution-Units-/122322455260?

the plugs come off with a screwdriver .  

they are a great price.  35 for the 2

I still need to find you replacement plugs that match the outlets.

home depot or lowes should have them

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
yun9999 (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:27:38 PM

@ Dumpita - Yes it's a BIOS feature of MSI call BOARD Explorer.  RED = Plugged in and detected not related to HEAT.
reeferman

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 06:59:53 PM

hero status

Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: