Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:17:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the first steps in installing a second GPU Card?  (Read 836 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2618
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2017, 09:03:33 PM

I have a machine which has a functional gpu it's using and I bought another gpu card to install.  What are the first steps after installing the second card?  I noticed that it tried to use the new card as the monitor gpu but since the drivers aren't in, the monitor wasn't working.
Using an older Ubuntu Suse with a Radeon HD 5570.  I know it won't mine much but I already do ASICs and wanted to get started at least. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2017, 12:41:23 AM

I have a machine which has a functional gpu it's using and I bought another gpu card to install.  What are the first steps after installing the second card?  I noticed that it tried to use the new card as the monitor gpu but since the drivers aren't in, the monitor wasn't working.
Using an older Ubuntu Suse with a Radeon HD 5570.  I know it won't mine much but I already do ASICs and wanted to get started at least. 

Remove first gpu.

Install new gpu.

Install new gpu drivers; don't do a clean install if asked.

Once miner works on new gpu; install old gpu as well and it should work fine.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2017, 02:28:16 AM

Remove first gpu.

Install new gpu.

Thanks, but how do you remove an onboard gpu?

molitar

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 03:48:25 AM

Remove first gpu.

Install new gpu.

You have two options.  Go into BIOS and turn off the onboard video or leave it on and set the PCIe to primary.  Use the onboard one for another monitor if you want.  Having the onboard one active will not cause any issues at all as I have 7 GPU's running on my mining rig and one is used for the monitor video.. (lower in graphics)
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2017, 05:21:33 AM

Remove first gpu.

Install new gpu.

You have two options.  Go into BIOS and turn off the onboard video or leave it on and set the PCIe to primary.  Use the onboard one for another monitor if you want.  Having the onboard one active will not cause any issues at all as I have 7 GPU's running on my mining rig and one is used for the monitor video.. (lower in graphics)

Thanks again.  Preferably having the PCIe to secondary will free up more hashing power from it.

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2017, 07:54:53 AM

most boards will have problems trying to use their onboard along with a 16x card.....

Typically you choose internal, or external video.  not both.....  Too much heartache in most instances.

I have also tested on my daily use PC;  putting my faster hashing card as a secondary did not increase hashrate at all.  Being able to trim up the intensity on it, and lower on my screen-use video card did not yield a net gain in hashrate ever.  So I always run the best card as primary (for use) and the others purely for mining.

I did see issues in windows when mining on a secondary card and gaming on the primary card at the same time.  The hashing on the other card somehow used the GPU for some things in the nvidia driver.  HArd to explain as I don't know much about it, but I know the driver has an ability to select what GPU(s) to use in the control panel... and I think that paid a part in it.

I wish I could game from one card, and mine at un-reduced intensity on the secondary cards... but I just get too much weirdness from mining on other cards while gaming on the primary GPU.

Hopefully this adds some help and skips some hurdles for you.  It can be applied in several ways; not just to gaming.

For reference this was on a first gen i7 that I utilize every bit of pretty much all day.... I've been in need of a generational upgrade.  Been looking for a high core/high ghz Xeon ES chip... Feelers have already been sent out... just waiting....  Then I select a board for the chip and upgrade.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: