Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:29:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Letter to GMaxwell and Sincere Rational Core Devs  (Read 34836 times)
traincarswreck (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 05:57:24 AM

One last question to maybe get me back on track:  Is Bitcoin the metric of value?
No, we are looking for a stable metric of value.  what good is an instable metric of value?  If you are going to measure something with a measuring stick, and the measuring stick changes length at an unpredictable rate, what good is the measuring stick?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 05:58:49 AM

(6) "Ideal money" is the end result of the competition. (?)
(7) "Ideal money" will be fiat money pegged to "Ideal gold" (?)
---
Check 6 and 7, do you agree? If so, explain the "Ideal gold" more since I
do not think you have explain in depth prior.
yes to 6.
There is no need for 7.

Ok good, so below is the theory simplified so that certain sections
could be referenced for discussion.

Quote from: The Bitcoin & Ideal Money Theory Simplified
So, if bitcoin maintains current gold like properties,
including not increasing the TPS whether on-chain or off-chains, then:
(1) bitcoin will increase in value.
(2) bitcoin is the "other alternative" due to increase in value.
(3) bitcoin cannot be the "ideal money".
(4) "other alternatives" existence is to force fiat to compete in value.
(5) "other alternative" ushers in the "ideal money".
(6) "Ideal money" is the end result of the competition.

So my last question will be, what happens to the "other alternatives" after many years of
"Ideal Money" being successful? Will they still need to exists as a counter to that system,
or do they become obsolete?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:01:15 AM

So my last question will be, what happens to the "other alternatives" after many years of
"Ideal Money" being successful? Will they still need to exists as a counter to that system,
There you go Smiley  Now you are asking the correct question from the correct frame. Well done.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 06:03:50 AM

One last question to maybe get me back on track:  Is Bitcoin the metric of value?
No, we are looking for a stable metric of value.  what good is an instable metric of value?  If you are going to measure something with a measuring stick, and the measuring stick changes length at an unpredictable rate, what good is the measuring stick?
OK, I did misunderstand that part.

It appears you are saying that Bitcoin does change in value, it is not the metric of value, it somehow creates a metric of value.

Also the value of Bitcoin is assumed to increase over time.

Then why does the rate of increase in value over time matter?  Why is the rate of value increase so critical?

If we make no changes then the value increases over time, right?  If we increase TPS then the value increases over time but at a different, possibly faster rate.

Why does this difference in the rate of value increase matter?  Why does one rate of increase lead to the creation of ideal money while a different (faster) rate of increase not lead to ideal money?

I see nothing in this:

So, if bitcoin maintains current gold like properties,
including not increasing the TPS whether on-chain or off-chains, then:
(1) bitcoin will increase in value.
(2) bitcoin is the "other alternative" due to increase in value.
(3) bitcoin cannot be the "ideal money".
(4) "other alternatives" existence is to force fiat to compete in value.
(5) "other alternative" ushers in the "ideal money".
(6) "Ideal money" is the end result of the competition.

that can be used to calculate which rates of increase in value will work and which ones will not work.  Statement (2) only requires an asset that is increasing in value - the rate of increase appears to be arbitrary.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:12:12 AM

One last question to maybe get me back on track:  Is Bitcoin the metric of value?
No, we are looking for a stable metric of value.  what good is an instable metric of value?  If you are going to measure something with a measuring stick, and the measuring stick changes length at an unpredictable rate, what good is the measuring stick?
Why does this difference in the rate of value increase matter?  Why does one rate of increase lead to the creation of ideal money while a different (faster) rate of increase not lead to ideal money?

My understanding is that ANY TPS increase, allows more flow which decreases value.
The value only exists and increases because the TPS is fixed at 3 (give or take).
So as Bitcoin scales, it become a currency more and leaves behind digital gold.
If Bitcoin had 10,000 TPS, its value would be extremely low and thus would
not have enough momentum to cause the financial world to reform.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:14:27 AM

OK, I did misunderstand that part.

It appears you are saying that Bitcoin does change in value, it is not the metric of value, it somehow creates a metric of value.

Also the value of Bitcoin is assumed to increase over time.

Then why does the rate of increase in value over time matter?  Why is the rate if value increase so critical?

If we make no changes then the value increases over time, right?  If we increase TPS then the value increases over time but at a different, possibly faster rate.

Threatening the tp/s won't increase the value, its an attempt at increasing the value. The markets need something the can have confidence in the predictable nature of in regard to value.  Bitcoin can do this, but not if there is a political battle over it.  That would obviously necessarily put the value into flux.

Changing the value proposition does not cause our fiat legacy system to adjust any faster.  Changing the value proposition (tp/s money supply underlying fundamentals etc.) just disturbs the implied unchangeable nature of bitcoin.

We want to guard its stability of value, not seek to increase it. You can't stir muddy water clean.  doesn't matter how hard you stir.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:14:32 AM

I see nothing in this:

that can be used to calculate which rates of increase in value will work and which ones will not work.  Statement (2) only requires an asset that is increasing in value - the rate of increase appears to be arbitrary.

I think what you are missing is that OP is really saying Bitcoin is a weapon and that is all.
Everything else is really secondary.

traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:15:29 AM

Yes arbitrary but unchangeable.  Needs to be predictable
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:17:09 AM

My understanding is that ANY TPS increase, allows more flow which decreases value.
The value only exists and increases because the TPS is fixed at 3 (give or take).

Ha im pretty confident you didn't understand this and burt did and now you do and they don't.

Yes but its more so the CHANGE that the markets won't like. People ask why is 1mb the magic number.  its not, but whatever satoshi put it at, I think we need to consider leaving it there, in this case its 1mb
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 06:21:09 AM

OK, then I see nothing special about 3 TPS, the whole system could be "increasing and quasi-stable" at 100 TPS or 200 TPS just fine as long as TPS did not change after that.  See traincarswreck's post right before this one, not quoted, but is basically states that the long term stability in parameters = trust in the system is what is needed.

OK, I understand the idea (again).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 06:24:27 AM

I think what you are missing is that OP is really saying Bitcoin is a weapon and that is all.
Everything else is really secondary.

Weapon.  Interesting new comparison that I have never heard before in my years here.  A weapon aimed directly at the current banking system?  This post will get homeland security's interest I am sure.  I wonder if they still monitor my activity on this board.  I guess we will find out.

traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:26:47 AM

OK, then I see nothing special about 3 TPS, the whole system could be "increasing and quasi-stable" at 100 TPS or 200 TPS just fine as long as TPS did not change after that.  See traincarswreck's post right before this one, not quoted, but is basically states that the long term stability in parameters = trust in the system is what is needed.

OK, I understand the idea (again).
yup. it must be good that we are dancing in and out of it.

And for example we could have chosen (satoshi) like 2 4 6 like back suggested or whatever for blocksize, and that would fine.  The problem is, that now we know that its not necessary, and therefore potentially damaging.  what is not damaging is realize that 'no change' will guard the implied future value, and so it will be predictable as possible, It will become the sun that the other fiats will revolve around....

as things come into order, the people will learn to understand "value" and then we will be able to use the process of democracy and fiat and say "let it be", and then we will have a stable metric of value for all time.
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:27:26 AM

Weapon.  Interesting new comparison that I have never heard before in my years here.  A weapon aimed directly at the current banking system?  This post will get homeland security's interest I am sure.  I wonder if they still monitor my activity on this board.  I guess we will find out.
The intelligence agencies already know.  It's a finger trap for central banks. (and it can't be stopped or altered)
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:29:45 AM

It would be a dramatically changed world. I have some ideas, but they are a different nature in regard to the discussion involve. The relevant point is that inflation hedges or "alternative options" are only needed when the fiat system is instable.  As it stabilizes gold for example, and perhaps bitcoin, lose their monetary/hedge nature. 

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 06:32:05 AM

Great conversation, no trolling, no stupid posts just to get their daily post quota, great thread.  Rare on this board.  Thanks and good night!

traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 06:35:06 AM

Great conversation, no trolling, no stupid posts just to get their daily post quota, great thread.  Rare on this board.  Thanks and good night!
That's because we have something of value to discuss, we are getting somewhere. Also cause we are invoking bohmian dialogue. Weird that people were calling me the troll

Cheers!

Tell ur friends, we won the block size debate!
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 07:16:33 AM

Great conversation, no trolling, no stupid posts just to get their daily post quota, great thread.  Rare on this board.  Thanks and good night!
That's because we have something of value to discuss, we are getting somewhere. ...

Yes, it is a fun discussion. Much more novel and interesting than the average here.
Creates many new ideas and possibilities I did not anticipate. I do not know if I advise this path,
but now I understand your reasoning/argument and it worthy of expanded discussion.

Until next time.

danda

Activity: 201
Merit: 157

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 07:36:02 AM

good stuff.   yes, markets like predictability.   bitcoin's consensus code is 100% predictable.   Unless an immoral change is made without 100% agreement of invested parties.   Fortunately that is hard to do.  The more people that are aware of this point of view the better because a small number can veto, and a veto is all that is necessary.

mybitprices.info - wallet auditing   |  hd-wallet-derive - derive keys locally |  hd-wallet-addrs - find used addrs
lightning-nodes - list of LN nodes  |  coinparams - params for 300+ alts  |  jsonrpc-cli - cli jsonrpc client
subaddress-derive-xmr - monero offline wallet tool
traincarswreck (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 07:37:53 AM

good stuff.   yes, markets like predictability.   bitcoin's consensus code is 100% predictable.   Unless an immoral change is made without 100% agreement of invested parties.   Fortunately that is hard to do.  The more people that are aware of this point of view the better because a small number can veto, and a veto is all that is necessary.

Nash's discourse on ideal money is brilliant. He ushered in the new era.  Everyone will know.  And yes for now, its just a matter of getting a few elites with significant influence to join the dialogue.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 08:04:50 AM

Yes but its more so the CHANGE that the markets won't like. People ask why is 1mb the magic number.  its not, but whatever satoshi put it at, I think we need to consider leaving it there, in this case its 1mb

Now it may be useful to get back to the Economic Change Event. The idea in a nutshell: until about a year ago, the block size cap had no effect upon the system. Blocks were consistently well below 1MB in size. On the few occasions that the max size was hit, it did not create a persistent backlog of transactions awaiting inclusion in a block.

From an economic perspective, the hitting of the block size was in itself a change.

Many perceive the economic change as more significant then would be a technical change to the block size. The evaluation of the effect of either of these changes upon the value of Bitcoin would be significant towards purposing Bitcoin as a step towards Nashian ideal money, would it not?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: