Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:33:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins only for 'hackers' and 'gamers'??  (Read 1286 times)
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:48:56 AM

start here: http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evgonoba (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:49:55 AM

Bitcoin is a currency. It can be a way to transfer money, it be a way to create money and handout with out a central point doing it.

VISA a credit card, it is based on the fact that you have are promising to payback the money you spend, I don't see how this has anything to do with bitcoin. VISA is it is own central point, it isn't trustless, it trust you to pay back, and you trust it to say you have the money for an item/service.

My reference to VISA was to an earlier post:

[They said the same thing when internet itself got made public for normal people in the late 1980's, i watched it first hand. I was running several BBS's back in that time, and also telnet BBS's. mmmm. Good old memories. And look at internet now.  Roll Eyes

They said the same thing about VISA credit/debit card when they created that card in 1958. NOBODY would ever use it, they said; it was madness to trust a piece of plastic with unprotected numbers on it! Look at the growth of creditcards now. (Now I personally still think its madness to trust a creditcard with unprotected numbers like VISA tho, but the world seems to ignore that. Bitcoin will solve that problem once and for all)

They said the same thing with Paypal too. Who would trust a private owned non-bank corp for payments. Look at the growth of paypal now.

Same with bitcoin today. But within few years when enough web-sites has adopted it, rest assured, it's unique way of working will make sure it will be a highly popular way to transfer money. Unless we in future somehow discover a insane bug in the protocol which opens up for a major security-breach, bitcoin is here to stay.]

So, I see that 'trustless' is one of the buzzwords around here. I get the concept, but people really should stop pushing that idea since it undermines credibility when it comes to serious thinking about money. You can't talk about money without talking about trust. Yes, 'trustless' means the technology works, things happen as they say they are going to happen, etc. But, really, the accurate transmission of numbers is not that big a problem to solve.

It's the CREATION of those numbers that concerns serious people.

evgonoba (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:59:36 AM

To critique a suggestion as insane invites the same type of critique. It could also be called insane to suggest that any system is 'trustless'. Or maybe it is just plain amusing that a system could require no trust.

Is Bitcoin not based on a theoretical framework, too?

Does the money system we are to use but not trust based on 'values'?

Is this a religion or a money system?

So by trustless I mean my node doesn't need to trust what your node is sending to me. I can validate it on own, meaning it is a trustless system.

No bitcoin based on a protocol that is built and working, no theory behind it. If your talking about crypto-functions do some research. The addresses are nothing more than private public key, the bread and butter of internet commerce since about 1996 probably earlier.

This is a money system, that a lot of people are passionate about.

A lot of people are passionate about a lot of things. Nothing gained by that point.

No theory behind it? I'm sure its more serious promoters would wince at such a naive statement. There is theory of some sort behind all cultural innovations and certainly no money system stands a chance without taking money theory seriously.

The trust issues I raise have nothing to do with addresses and private public keys (technological issues) and everything to do with the conception and creation of the money itself, not whether or not nodes do or don't need independent verification.

You called us a religion or money system, I just said I am passionate about it.

I am a very serious promoter, there is no theory behind it.

There is no trust, the miners find a block it is validated, then it that miner gets 25 BTC. That is how the money is created, do research.

I am sorry but you clearly have not done any research on bitcoin, you are asking the same questions over and over and I give you the same answers over and over. You didn't prove anything beside you didn't do research. I will not keep talking unless you ask questions that actually warrant an intelligent answer.

I ASKED if it was a religion. I didn't call you a religion.

A money system with no theory. You do research. You embarrass yourself.

I understand 'how' the money is created. I also understand how Ben Bernanke creates money. Both have certain restrictions, and magic. It wasn't there, now it is.

Bitcoin is better, but it's in need of more examination and its current promoters are awfully defensive.
evgonoba (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:12:02 AM

First, this is the Newbie section. Saying "do research" is a questionable response in a section where Newbies must spend a certain amount of time.

Second, I have not been asking the same questions over and over.

Third, give up on your claim that no theory is involved with Bitcoin. You just made a misstatement...it's OK.

Fourth, thanks for all of your responses.
evgonoba (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:34:38 AM

Won't survive? My goodness....I didn't realize the stakes were so high. Smiley
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:43:36 AM

Won't survive? My goodness....I didn't realize the stakes were so high. Smiley

Now your just being a troll
Signus

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:17:52 AM

The real problem is that Bitcoins will likely never gain enough acceptance because the whole thing about 'mining' and the like will always only appeal to the rebel and hacker part of society. I'm part of that crowd....but most people aren't.

It's the wrong crowd to really change our money system cause no one takes us seriously enough. And even worse, hackers and gamers don't even really WANT to be taken seriously.

So, it's a limited idea due to it's culture. Sad to say.

Two years ago people said BTC would never gain acceptance. Even I myself started mining two years ago and stopped due to limits in my hardware (when all I had was a machine that could barely run).

However 'hackers' are not the only people who need a service like this, although it is nice because it's hard to track and it allows for a lot of anonyminity. For many people it's great because you don't need a SSN, you don't need to worry about interest, and your money isn't managed by the government. Why wouldn't everybody want that?

I don't necessarily care if it's limited to the "tech" culture, I like it that way personally. However with the rise of the BTC many people have jumped in on the game and are sparking a real interest. It's nice to see people wanting to learn something new and all, but I don't necessarily care who the market belongs to.
zordsdavini

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:25:54 AM

It looks like Bitcoin is something similar to Linux. It smells like Freedom. But here you should as in Linux understand how it works and use it with love.
Signus

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:45:04 PM

It looks like Bitcoin is something similar to Linux. It smells like Freedom. But here you should as in Linux understand how it works and use it with love.

What do you mean, smells like freedom? It is freedom, you just have to know how to use it's power.

The only difference is that Linux gives you the power to do anything you want, whereas Bitcoin involves serious commitment. Bitcoin smells like freedom in that it puts you in chains and laughs at you while you try and make a profit mining.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: