Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:56:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Migrating from Bitcoin Core to Bitcoin Unlimited  (Read 1863 times)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:41:52 PM

It should be as easy as Danny describes, but it would be great to have a better write up that includes screenshots.  If you're using Windows or Mac (not Linux) and if you're interested in earning a bounty while you migrate, take screen shots and document the process that you went through, and then write a brief "idiots guide to safely migrating from Bitcoin Core to Bitcoin Unlimited" and post as a new thread here or on Medium, and I can send you $100 - $150 from our outreach fund (actual amount will depend on the quality of the finished product and be at my discretion).  

I use both windows and linux. My nodes aren't pruned, and I'm not on 0.14 (which introduces compact blocks). Could any of these represent issues for those who have?

Pruning was introduced in Core 0.11 and BU branched at a later point, and so BU supports pruning too.  Updating from Core to BU should be the same as updating to a newer version of Core for both pruned and unpruned nodes, but I've never actually verified this myself (I updated from a unpruned version of Classic to Bitcoin Unlimited on my Mac following the process that Danny described and had no problem).  I don't see why being on 0.14 would matter, but again I haven't verified that myself.  

If you want more info about the code-level details of BU, the best people to talk to are sickpig, thezerg, freetrader and Peter Tschipper (bitsenbytes), who can all be pinged at bitco.in or on Reddit.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:43:31 PM

- snip -
it would be great to have a better write up that includes screenshots.  If you're using Windows or Mac (not Linux) and if you're interested in earning a bounty while you migrate, take screen shots and document the process that you went through, and then write a brief "idiots guide to safely migrating from Bitcoin Core to Bitcoin Unlimited" and post as a new thread here or on Medium, and I can send you $100 - $150 from our outreach fund (actual amount will depend on the quality of the finished product and be at my discretion).  

I may take you up on that.

That would be very helpful.  We need simple and easy to understand guides to make people more comfortable migrating from Core to BU on all the various platforms. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
noodle_dam

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:45:59 PM

I have it on my desktop unzipped and not installed.
Just waiting to see what happens next to the core and this saturated long times for confirmations.
Once it is done with I will might end up installing it and using it after all having it on my desktop for soo long since last December.

AngryDwarf (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:48:13 PM

Thanks all for the info. I think I'll try upgrading my linux mining node first using compiled code. My 2 GH/s U2+ asic hasn't got lucky yet, so no risk there to see what it looks like!

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 01:48:26 AM

Pruning was introduced in Core 0.11 and BU branched at a later point, and so BU supports pruning too.  Updating from Core to BU should be the same as updating to a newer version of Core for both pruned and unpruned nodes, but I've never actually verified this myself

After running BU on an Ubuntu dev & test system for several months, I upgraded my production OS X node/wallet (the one that I trust with the bulk of my BTC) from Core 0.11.1 to BU 0.12.1. BU just happily used the bitcoin.conf & database dirs (and all other 'work' files) that Core had already been using. No pain. Only issue was in opening inbound connections - which ended up being a Tor config issue.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
AngryDwarf (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 02:31:52 AM

Migrated linux nodes from core 0.13.2 to unlimited 1.0.1.0. No issues whatsoever.

Looks like a fork of the code from the core 0.12.x series, just before the segwit technical debt bloat was added.

Some nice little BU configuration options, can set send/receive bandwidth limits if you don't want to max out your internet connection.

Nice little TPS counter in the mempool statistics too, can't remember that being there in core.  Cool

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
AngryDwarf (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:08:19 AM

Windows binary updated from precompiled installer without issue too. The migration procedure is just like updating bitcoin core at the moment.

Nice little earner on offer from Peter R.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:14:05 AM

its the case of reading the code and seeing what things have changed and what you agree on.

for instance if you dont agree on either side dont upgrade to either new version.
if however you realise things like
core v0.13.2 minimum fee relay was 0.00001000 ($0.012)
but now
core v0.14.0 minimum fee relay is 0.00005000 ($0.06)

and you disagree with being part of the nodes that will only relay transactions with higher fee's than before.. then stick with what you have or go for a version that doesnt have such fee war inducing new rules

What Franky pointed out staying on an older version of core that keeps Free Transaction Relay and Priority Transactions also known as Coinage would be a valid reason to not upgrade at this point in time.

The calculation priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes
Will be removed from this edition forward
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees#Priority_transactions
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy

From 0.14.0 Release notes
Support for “priority” (coin age) transaction sorting for mining is considered deprecated in Core and will be removed in the next major version
https://bitcoin.org/en/release/v0.14.0

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:25:14 AM

With the release of bitcoin core 0.14, do I upgrade bitcoin core or migrate to Bitcoin Unlimited?

Should I decided to migrate to Bitcoin Unlimited, what are the recommended steps or risks associated in performing this operation?

In my own opinion the best choice would be to upgrade your bitcoin core than to shift to bitcoin unlimited. Bitcoin unlimited has so many flaws and the consensus on using Bitcoin Unlimited did not come to be realized as yet. And so not until there is a clear consensus I suggest that you should just upgrade your core. But I dont have to really place my opinion on you and in the end its up to you as to what will be your decision.
AngryDwarf (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 11:30:58 AM

With the release of bitcoin core 0.14, do I upgrade bitcoin core or migrate to Bitcoin Unlimited?

Should I decided to migrate to Bitcoin Unlimited, what are the recommended steps or risks associated in performing this operation?

In my own opinion the best choice would be to upgrade your bitcoin core than to shift to bitcoin unlimited. Bitcoin unlimited has so many flaws and the consensus on using Bitcoin Unlimited did not come to be realized as yet. And so not until there is a clear consensus I suggest that you should just upgrade your core. But I dont have to really place my opinion on you and in the end its up to you as to what will be your decision.

Decision made and I have switched to Bitcoin Unlimited. I can always switch back.

What are these flaws you talk about? People just seem to say it has flaws without any technical explanation behind it.

aarturka

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 01:30:45 PM

If you want to migrate to alt better choose Litecoin, Unlimitedcoin reportedly has too many flaws because it's controlled by some rascals like Roger ver and it's just a toy for chinese miners
AngryDwarf (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2017, 02:25:57 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2017, 02:49:26 PM by AngryDwarf

If you want to migrate to alt better choose Litecoin, Unlimitedcoin reportedly has too many flaws because it's controlled by some rascals like Roger ver and it's just a toy for chinese miners

Please read above comment:

What are these flaws you talk about? People just seem to say it has flaws without any technical explanation behind it.

My current thoughts are (which I am entitled to change my mind about):

1. Bigger block sizes. More users. Bitcoin (BTC).
2. Status quo. Users restricted to big bag holders who can pay huge fees. Exclusive Bitcoin (EBC).
3. Those who believe in the Segwit/LN off-chain scaling services. Bitcoin Derivative Coin (BDC).

1. Seems closer to the original vision to my current understanding, which is why I call it bitcoin and give the others alt coin names.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: