Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:35:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core functionalities  (Read 684 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 12:57:21 AM

Hello,

I didn't touch bitcoin core in ages so please forgive me the noobish questions. Tongue I only just installed the newest version again.

I would like to ask how to use more than one core installation at the same time. It looks the new version is portable so all the details are in the dir I wanted it in, no data somewhere on C:\. I know there was the -data-dir flag which seems to be still working though I'm not sure if that's what I search for. I do not want to interfere the different wallets with each other. I just want to save disc space by using the same files of the blockchain. -loadblock doesn't sound like that also, I do not want a copy of the blockchain, I want multiple wallets use the same blockchain storage files. How to do this?

Second question, I searched for an option but didn't found it. Core creates reserve addresses though they are invisible. When exporting the addresses I only can see the visible addresses. I want to do 2 things, make all reserve addresses visible so that I can export them and secondly I want to raise the amount of reserve addresses. How can this be done?

Thank you!
Sebastian

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:12:20 AM

Hello,

I didn't touch bitcoin core in ages so please forgive me the noobish questions. Tongue I only just installed the newest version again.

I would like to ask how to use more than one core installation at the same time. It looks the new version is portable so all the details are in the dir I wanted it in, no data somewhere on C:\. I know there was the -data-dir flag which seems to be still working though I'm not sure if that's what I search for. I do not want to interfere the different wallets with each other. I just want to save disc space by using the same files of the blockchain. -loadblock doesn't sound like that also, I do not want a copy of the blockchain, I want multiple wallets use the same blockchain storage files. How to do this?

Second question, I searched for an option but didn't found it. Core creates reserve addresses though they are invisible. When exporting the addresses I only can see the visible addresses. I want to do 2 things, make all reserve addresses visible so that I can export them and secondly I want to raise the amount of reserve addresses. How can this be done?

Thank you!
Sebastian

I think I can only answer your first question and tell you that it is not possible to use multiple clients and only one blockchain directory folder due to the fact that wen bitcoin core loads now it has to have a LOCK on the directory.
You could probably have multiple copies of bitcoin cores running at the same time but you'll have to use the -conf=<file> command in order to do this and just specifiy different files you need for configurations. Also, you'll then need the -prune<size> to shorten the blockchains of the other clients running (They should then use about 2GB each after that point).
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:16:49 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 01:59:57 AM by xhomerx10

I haven't played with core and multiple wallets so I can't help you there but I believe that the version 0.13.0 wallet became a hierarchical deterministic wallet and dispensed the reserve addresses as all the addresses you will ever need are readily calculable from the seed.

edit: help fail!
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 01:44:19 AM

You can't. Bitcoin Core does not support this yet, although Multiwallet functionality is in the works.

Second question, I searched for an option but didn't found it. Core creates reserve addresses though they are invisible. When exporting the addresses I only can see the visible addresses. I want to do 2 things, make all reserve addresses visible so that I can export them
I don't think you can do this. You can export all of the addresses using the dumpwallet RPC command which will export all of the private keys to a text file wherever you specified.

and secondly I want to raise the amount of reserve addresses. How can this be done?
Add keypool=<n> to your bitcoin.conf file where <n> is the number of keys you want to have in the keypool (aka reserve keys) at all times.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 02:11:54 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 03:01:45 AM by SebastianJu

Thanks for the answers.

Where can I find the bitcoin.conf-file? I remember in an old data I could take it from AppData but now I do not find it. It's not portable it seems, only other path's now.

I will try everything mentioned.

Edit: I exported addresses and found they have different types:

change
hdmaster
inactivehdmaster
label
reserve

I guess every type is just a normal bitcoin address that can be used for depositing?

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 03:15:35 AM

Thanks for the answers.

Where can I find the bitcoin.conf-file? I remember in an old data I could take it from AppData but now I do not find it. It's not portable it seems, only other path's now.

I will try everything mentioned.
The bitcoin.conf is a file you need to create. In windows, put it in the datadir. You can find out what it is by going to Help > Debug Window and it will tell you there.

Edit: I exported addresses and found they have different types:

change
hdmaster
inactivehdmaster
label
reserve

I guess every type is just a normal bitcoin address that can be used for depositing?
I think on "label", "change", and "reserve" are actual addresses. "hdmaster" and "inactivehdmaster" are all master private keys for the BIP 32 derivation.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 11:52:07 AM

You can have different wallets use the same data dir, by passing -wallet=wallet.dat on launch. This will significantly increase your startup time whenever switching a wallet though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 06:29:26 PM

I have my data-dir placed in a subdir of the installation. So the bitcoin.conf wasn't there. Seems to be I would have to create it then. I was told there is a command keypoolrefill also. Will check it out.

I made it so that I have a dir for the wallets. Then subdirs for each wallet and shortcuts in the mainwallet to each installation. I copy the blockchain and blockstate dirs into a new installations data dir. Then add in the shortcuts -datadir to the matching datadirectory and -prune when pruning.

Looks like it works so far. Just need to check out the creation of more reserve addresses still.

Thanks for the tips!
Sebastian

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 07:34:34 PM

I have my data-dir placed in a subdir of the installation. So the bitcoin.conf wasn't there. Seems to be I would have to create it then. I was told there is a command keypoolrefill also. Will check it out.

I made it so that I have a dir for the wallets. Then subdirs for each wallet and shortcuts in the mainwallet to each installation. I copy the blockchain and blockstate dirs into a new installations data dir. Then add in the shortcuts -datadir to the matching datadirectory and -prune when pruning.

Looks like it works so far. Just need to check out the creation of more reserve addresses still.

Thanks for the tips!
Sebastian

I don't think a bitcoin.conf file is made until you specify for it to be created. You may want to search as to how this is created or just open notepad/a text editor and type the commands you wanted to input into it (such as the keypool one). Then, if it's in the same file as the portable executable it should spot it, otherwise use the conf=<file> command specifying the absolute path of the file (if necessary).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: