Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:08:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL's Jalapeno exists - I have one in my hand and just uploaded a video  (Read 12916 times)
briannguyen

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:44:02 AM

This is an awesome news. Thanks for sharing the video

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:46:17 AM

There is a lot of debate what this means.   I would think we should let the market tell us if this is real or not.   Just watch the price of ASICminer shares.   If they drop a lot, it probably means people believe BFL will actually ship and that will impact dividends.   If they do not, it means people do not believe this is anything important.
people can talk and talk is cheap, but watch what they do with their money for their true opinions.

zif33rs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:55:17 AM

Very nice vid man...thanks. Hope it turns out well for all involved. I really like the part where you mentioned checking the hash distribution.

+1

New to bitcoin? Want to mine? Not sure where to start out?
Check out www.hostedmining.com
Donations and Tips  btc - 1MkjKHpZbSaRepeYaAcmRMcqt8o3HKQCF   ltc  - LNz48TP8MZmke38qbZD5gXi53KrktbJG7V  ftc  - 6iDt92cyDvxXkrDhCzMh4zEmK1b9PqShs4
18RATTT

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:05:06 AM

Custom BFL shipping boxes?  C'mon guys, we don't need the fancy schmancy!  Mount my single SC's in a shoe box, I don't care - just move 'em out!
haha, so true lol.

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:07:02 AM

This maybe a noob question.  But if this is the first time you have ever opened the box, then why when you plugged it in for the first time (and it said drivers not found) why did you immediately know that you were missing generic USB drivers...(that you found "embarrassing")?

My first instinct when plugging in a new device and seeing drivers not found would be to start rummaging around in the box for a driver disk?

Also (not directed to the OP) what is the thinking behind shipping out free demo models before shipping out (or even giving a concrete shipping date) for orders that were paid in full 10 months ago?
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:32:50 AM

I was under the impression (from the BFL website) that there would be specialized software included to run with the asic products. Is it really just plug & play? also.. what is you 24 hr BTC reward looking like? I realize this all is variable from the network difficulty etc, but a ballpark figure would be nice to know.
thanks for the sharing mang! I thought the video quality was fine.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:42:46 AM

This maybe a noob question.  But if this is the first time you have ever opened the box, then why when you plugged it in for the first time (and it said drivers not found) why did you immediately know that you were missing generic USB drivers...(that you found "embarrassing")?

My first instinct when plugging in a new device and seeing drivers not found would be to start rummaging around in the box for a driver disk?

Also (not directed to the OP) what is the thinking behind shipping out free demo models before shipping out (or even giving a concrete shipping date) for orders that were paid in full 10 months ago?

My guess is because he is using the FPGA Single already and ran into it before. You have to go through the same thing with the USB drivers for the latest versions of cgminer, so I would assume the same is true for bfgminer.
mojod

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:29:58 AM

He paused recording the video, then restarted it. He even said "I'm going to pause it" He just didnt edit it very well.

Nobody gives a shit, make sure you let Josh fuck you extra hard tonight. I bet all the other 50k people will get theres soon.

This guy is really mad.

BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:30:34 AM

The way I see it, we are left with exactly two options here:

1. BFL is actually capable of putting out some real product, and slowly but surely they'll start shipping soon.

2. BFL has now taken the scam to a new level where they've written an app that appears to be a mining program, but in actuality it is just telling another set of miners back in Kansas to mine during that time to his pool, therefore giving the appearance of actually mining itself.

That would be pretty deep scamming indeed. I'm starting to waver in my belief now... But it sure would be a good test if we could isolate that box from BFL somehow while testing it.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
baad

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:46:26 AM

Thanks, good vid!
enmaku (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:24:34 AM

My guess is because he is using the FPGA Single already and ran into it before. You have to go through the same thing with the USB drivers for the latest versions of cgminer, so I would assume the same is true for bfgminer.

Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner!

The Jalapeno is now sitting right next to my good old FPGA Single.
sunblaster

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:47:36 AM

The bit about tipping over 50% was halsrious. Now what are the chances of that fancy box actually arriving to its destination?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 05:50:31 AM

my beefs with this video:
  • >check network hashrate to make sure he doesn't accidentally 50% the network
    >OH IT'S JUST 5GH IT'S NOT GOING TO MATTER
  • I find your pool statistics a bit off. Between time you paused the video, your ~500 MH/s miner got 51 shares, and your jalapeno got 717 shares. This implies the jalapeno operates at 14x the speed of your ~500 MH/s miner, or about 6.67 GH
  • The AC adapter has 0 W idle usage? The kill-a-watt has 1 decimal place accuracy, so the AC adapter is using less than 0.05W idle.
  • all the sucking up to BFL at the end. You either got a Little Single SC that hashes 6x less than advertised, or a Jalapeno that is 5x bigger than expected, and uses 5x the power

C'mon grue. That means nothing. If you don't know what the submission difficulty is for each device you can't compare them. And even if they're the same, you still can't do a simple comparison like that. Even at D1 the variance in the number of shares submitted by the 50Mhps device will be high. If the expected number of shares was actually 51, then the 95% confidence interval would be 38 to 65 in the same time frame. 32% higher is no big deal.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:31:10 AM

The Jalapeno is now sitting right next to my good old FPGA Single.
Thanks for your review. It was very in-depth and appreciated.

Have you opened up the box yet and seen one of these inside?

Perhaps one like that but with a BFL logo on it?  Wink

Technically they could still be scamming us all if the special miner they gave you is just a proxy for a real miner back in kansas. Any way to disprove that theory?

Thanks again!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Zedster

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:03:15 AM

Wow hater's just gonna hate aren't ya.  Jealously is an ugly emotion people.  Referring to half the posters in this thread.

Nice vid sir. 

Well done BFL also, no matter what.

Geddi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

It's the muffins that must be stopped.

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:04:13 AM

I almost choked when I saw that  Lips sealed  
chipd

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:16:09 PM

The way I see it, we are left with exactly two options here:

1. BFL is actually capable of putting out some real product, and slowly but surely they'll start shipping soon.

2. BFL has now taken the scam to a new level where they've written an app that appears to be a mining program, but in actuality it is just telling another set of miners back in Kansas to mine during that time to his pool, therefore giving the appearance of actually mining itself.

That would be pretty deep scamming indeed. I'm starting to waver in my belief now... But it sure would be a good test if we could isolate that box from BFL somehow while testing it.

Or they send out their dev boards they've been working on since last year and while everyone is busy testing and sheering that BFL will finally ship, they quietly close the shop and go underground.
grue
Legendary

Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:30:13 PM

• I find your pool statistics a bit off. Between time you paused the video, your ~500 MH/s miner got 51 shares, and your jalapeno got 717 shares. This implies the jalapeno operates at 14x the speed of your ~500 MH/s miner, or about 6.67 GH
  • The AC adapter has 0 W idle usage? The kill-a-watt has 1 decimal place accuracy, so the AC adapter is using less than 0.05W idle.
  • all the sucking up to BFL at the end. You either got a Little Single SC that hashes 6x less than advertised, or a Jalapeno that is 5x bigger than expected, and uses 5x the power

C'mon grue. That means nothing. If you don't know what the submission difficulty is for each device you can't compare them. And even if they're the same, you still can't do a simple comparison like that. Even at D1 the variance in the number of shares submitted by the 50Mhps device will be high. If the expected number of shares was actually 51, then the 95% confidence interval would be 38 to 65 in the same time frame. 32% higher is no big deal.
It's right in the video that the submission difficulty for the ASIC is 1. Also, the hashrates between the two updates (of the ~500 MH/s miner) were fairly close to each other, so the variance is not a relevant issue.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

It's right in the video that the submission difficulty for the ASIC is 1. Also, the hashrates between the two updates (of the ~500 MH/s miner) were fairly close to each other, so the variance is not a relevant issue.

It doesn't matter how close the updates are. Can't escape variance, even at D1. Much as I'd like to.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:07:12 PM

Good review and great to see BFL shipping something, even if it is a prerelease version to a very few select users.  What we're all looking forward to is BFL shipping an ASIC to people who ordered last year and aren't related to any blog or special interest group.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: