Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash Drive or Disk Drive?  (Read 1005 times)
IamFuzzles (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 07:17:05 AM

I'm looking to create a portable, bootable Linux system to take with me, encrypted with some wallets. I'll probably end up using ubuntu, since I'm familiar with it. But I need to get a drive. I don't need anything big, but I've never tried installing an OS on a flash drive and I was wondering how viable it is? Unfortunately the smallest disk drives that seem reliable are all 80gb plus and $40 or more. But if they're a better option I'd probably choose that. Any ideas or recommendations?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alex0

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:06:15 AM

If you choose Flash note that to boot from a USB drive, your computer's motherboard and BIOS must support USB booting.
IamFuzzles (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:09:26 AM

If you choose Flash note that to boot from a USB drive, your computer's motherboard and BIOS must support USB booting.

Would I not have that same problem from a disk drive? I guess I should have made it more clear I meant an external disk drive. Like I said, I want to be able to take it with me. Also, how much of a problem is that? I mean, do many MB nowadays not have that support? (I do already know mine does, just curious about odds)
Gdecelia

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:12:50 AM

I would do a disk drive, you can easily find a disk drive for cheap. Plus its safer!
newunit16

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:37:45 AM

it is difficult more (i am not even sure possible, as i have searched [albeit not rather intensely] to find a way to install windows 7 onto a flash USB drive) to run a USB drive loaded with anything other than linux, than it is to run a hard drive. the power savings will be rather minuscule, unless your only option for a hard disk is a large, fast, power hungry mofo.

as far as initial price goes, you can get sata/IDE drives on ebay for ~10$.

"but those drive are pulls from used workstations!"
-well, then use a new drive. or linux on a usb drive.

keep in mind, if you have a rather small amount of ram, and/or the operating system of choice is caching to HDD, USB drive will offer lackluster performance. this may or may not affect your mining depending on the use of the system.

also, if you consider running a CD drive loaded with your OS, do not forget that you must either a) re-setup your mining software/system settings on each reboot or b) run another disk drive (likely usb) to save such settings, so you may or may not be saving any electricity.
IamFuzzles (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 08:44:01 AM

it is difficult more (i am not even sure possible, as i have searched [albeit not rather intensely] to find a way to install windows 7 onto a flash USB drive) to run a USB drive loaded with anything other than linux, than it is to run a hard drive. the power savings will be rather minuscule, unless your only option for a hard disk is a large, fast, power hungry mofo.

as far as initial price goes, you can get sata/IDE drives on ebay for ~10$.

"but those drive are pulls from used workstations!"
-well, then use a new drive. or linux on a usb drive.

keep in mind, if you have a rather small amount of ram, and/or the operating system of choice is caching to HDD, USB drive will offer lackluster performance. this may or may not affect your mining depending on the use of the system.

also, if you consider running a CD drive loaded with your OS, do not forget that you must either a) re-setup your mining software/system settings on each reboot or b) run another disk drive (likely usb) to save such settings, so you may or may not be saving any electricity.

I'm definitely going for an external setup here. Basically install the OS on the drive (flash or disk) and boot it up when I'd like. And yes, I'm going with Linux, encrypted and all. Clearly Disk seems to be the way to go from most people's suggestions so far.
newunit16

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:15:23 AM

I'm going with Linux, encrypted and all. Clearly Disk seems to be the way to go from most people's suggestions so far.

its not really necessary to encrypt the drive the operating system and mining software run on. the mining software merely mins for bitcoins and tells the mining pool what address to send TO. unless you plan on running the bitcoin wallet software, along with the wallet you are sending to, on the same system, its not advisable to encrypt. though, its also not advisable to run bitcoin wallet on on the same system as a miner.

also for the record, in case anyone is reading and wondering, encrypting a volume and running bitcoin with your wallet, does not protect you. when you decrypt the data, and it is accessible, its just as easily intercepted by nefarious parties. if you have a wallet.dat INSIDE an encrypted volume that is NOT mounted and decrypted, it is "safe"... until you decrypt/mount the volume. you should ONLY access your "savings" wallet within a known virus-free operating system. you should not access it elsewhere.
IamFuzzles (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:17:00 AM

I'm going with Linux, encrypted and all. Clearly Disk seems to be the way to go from most people's suggestions so far.

its not really necessary to encrypt the drive the operating system and mining software run on. the mining software merely mins for bitcoins and tells the mining pool what address to send TO. unless you plan on running the bitcoin wallet software, along with the wallet you are sending to, on the same system, its not advisable to encrypt. though, its also not advisable to run bitcoin wallet on on the same system as a miner.

also for the record, in case anyone is reading and wondering, encrypting a volume and running bitcoin with your wallet, does not protect you. when you decrypt the data, and it is accessible, its just as easily intercepted by nefarious parties. if you have a wallet.dat INSIDE an encrypted volume that is NOT mounted and decrypted, it is "safe"... until you decrypt/mount the volume. you should ONLY access your "savings" wallet within a known virus-free operating system. you should not access it elsewhere.

This is not for mining, this is for holding wallets only, hence the encryption. I plan to avoid even connecting this online too much.
newunit16

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:22:52 AM

This is not for mining, this is for holding wallets only, hence the encryption. I plan to avoid even connecting this online too much.

i would also suggest you backup your wallet.dat files onto cd AND dvd. perhaps multiple copies of each. WHY cds AND dvds? only due to the idea that it may be difficult to find a CD-Rom in 10 years. dvd is likely to fully replace it by then.

either way, you will WANT multiple, physical, copies of each wallet you associate a value to. fire, data corruption, etc. can occur.

i may be paranoid, but i wear a flash drive around my neck with an encrypted copy of my "savings" wallet. this is just one copy, mind you:)
newunit16

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 09:24:09 AM

also keep in mind that it has been reported that burned cd-r's deteriorate over time. so dont expect them to last for the times.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: