Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:48:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban useless replies  (Read 4303 times)
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:34:15 AM

Can we ban useless replies like

this
^^^^
great!
what he said
+1
interesting...

they do nothing except to bump up post count and clutter up the forum.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:40:30 AM

so, free speech as long as you use more than what, 5 words?

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:44:09 AM

Ban useless topics

mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:06:36 AM

Ban useless users

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:05:38 AM

They generally are disallowed, though I don't delete them all the time.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:39:11 AM

I'm going to try and start cracking down on spam a little more... there's just so much of it.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:40:35 AM

I'm going to try and start cracking down on spam a little more... there's just so much of it.

^^^ This. +1  (Sorry, had to.  Cheesy)

If you really want to stop the pointless mini-responses, add ratings for comments like Reddit and pretty much every other social network site in the universe and pretty much all modern forums have. When you upvote a comment, you won't *need* to respond to it.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 05:20:29 AM

I don't like the way a certain user posts or responds so lets ban them GRRRRRRR! Holy shit, considering some of you are supposedly proponents of an unregulated free market you sure hate the idea of people having freedom of speech don't you? I don't care what people post as long as it isn't bot spam and virus'.
drakahn

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:23:18 AM

I thought my '-1' post that got deleted said everything it needed to, that i did not agree

But then i thought my free speech joke was... well a joke...

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 05:37:59 AM

I thought my '-1' post that got deleted said everything it needed to, that i did not agree

The irony of it is that most of the deleted posts were put up for exactly that reason.

But, Theymos made his point by deleting them.

Honestly, I don't really care how people respond. Sometimes, "+1" is all that really needs to be said. Upvoting would solve that, but probably be a pain to implement, and they'd likely only show up on the default theme anyway.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
OdinHephaestus

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:40:47 AM

A lot of these features suggested by users would be a pain to implement.  He would almost be better off by designing his own board software, with all the bells and whistles needed by a bitcoin-oriented community.

Bitcoin: 1odinQ5YUdbfuopNF2D1FZRN8qcrC4y1L
Litecoin: LeodinXzG7CgHqPDZxaUgsDKUKBUu46qa5
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:33:05 AM

I don't think someone saying "I don't support this" would get deleted, even through it conveys no extra information.
drakahn

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:38:43 AM

I don't think someone saying "I don't support this" would get deleted, even through it conveys no extra information.
ahh, so free speech in 4 words instead of five, so much better, 3 words is right out though

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 12:35:13 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2013, 07:19:15 PM by paraipan

@tysat i recommend you cool down and don't delete people's replies right and left, even if you see them as nonsensical or spam. Everyone is free to express in their way!

Btw, my reply was a joke to such lame request and posted only once, guess you can't read between the lines.

Can we ban useless replies like

this
^^^^
great!
what he said
+1
interesting...

they do nothing except to bump up post count and clutter up the forum.

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
klenker

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

Prospecting on the net, in a rundown old shack..

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:46:32 PM

*Looks for Thumbs Up icon, Star icon, I agree icon*

Ahh Ren and Stimpy is there anything you cannot do?! Wink

I think there is a need for a sort of 'agree' option though, as while most forums that are discussion forums catering to a wide range of things, here there seems to be a lot of support for ideas, which might not be expressed properly given people would have to then add content to their support.

I know of a forum that has a Star system above the post that allows you to star a post rather than reply to it and "+1" or "I agree" - and they get removed as 1 line posts that add nothing to the topic.

An idea such as crypto currency is all about user support, and it would probably help if there was a way to show it, and not clutter the forums..

How that could be done is beyond me, I stick to userscripts for things I need to implement on forums that don't have such features, but that wouldn't work in this case.

But I don't think deleting/banning people for such infringements should be the way to go. Maybe have the forums count words to check for sufficient content, or have an "I understand the rules" tick box if the content really doesn't need padding out with random words to fit the bill. If someone were then to tick the box, and continue to +1 things with no real support, they get the usual hammer of justice.

However, I'm a mere user... I submit to the ways of those wiser than I!

Wink

BTC: 1LJk6Ck83fqwoCzFB7KqHVkurhsFfuk9zv
LTC: LP1LBMd4Cxth8uada3wF2kTZu8ub7LfyRH
FTC: 6gsQ1WqzpEi8ioQ3irkhjVj8z7Wznos12C
--
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:06:33 PM

Slashdot? The problem with voting/autohiding systems is that they are subject to manipulation by sockpuppets, and a few missing posts can break up the flow of a conversation.

A subclass of elected moderators called voters could vote down or autohide junk posts and post count pumping. Too much downvoting and a poster could be temporarily hidden or banned from new posts.
grue (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:36:13 PM

I don't like the way a certain user posts or responds so lets ban them GRRRRRRR! Holy shit, considering some of you are supposedly proponents of an unregulated free market you sure hate the idea of people having freedom of speech don't you? I don't care what people post as long as it isn't bot spam and virus'.
No, it's just pathetic that people clutter up the forum with meaningless replies.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 02:44:15 PM

No, it's just pathetic that people clutter up the forum with meaningless replies.

Define meaningless please.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:25:58 PM

Poop.

grue (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:37:39 PM

things that add nothing to the discussion. If all you're doing is making one liners like the ones I mentioned, you're not contributing to the discussion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: