Bitcoin Forum
December 12, 2017, 08:38:51 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free electricity  (Read 795 times)
cointardd

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:58:53 AM

Hello everyone,

Im based off this remote site where I have free electricity and a small split air conditioner in my room turned on 24/7.  Grin

I got a 7870 Pitcairn GPU and I thought I'd give mining a shot. But my concern is the heat and effects on the hardware. My questions are:

1) Will other hardware (besides GPU) be affected?  (PSU for example - also got an overclocked Phenom X6 - which has a huge power draw when oc'd, so I do not want my CPU participating in the mining)

2) What if I make the AC blow into my case and make it cold like lets say ~50C GPU temp at load, would it reduce the effects of shortened lifespan considerably? Or is it just that 100% usage 24/7 that is the issue

Sorry if the questions are dumb, im a tard.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Bonz

Activity: 215

Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 11:59:31 PM

step 1. install speed fan
step 2. put all fans to 100%
step 3. monitor for 24 hours less than 80oC = safe

if it goes above 80 clean your case and fans with compressed air

if it still goes over 80 point the AC at it

if it is still over change your intensity in cg miner

if still over get water cooling for the card or quit mining

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:14:16 AM

Of equal or greater concern is thermal cycles.

That is, a steady state temperature of 70C will be easier on your machine than going room temp to 60C twice a day.

So, if possible, make sure your rig is running constantly.

If you _have_ to shut down or start up, allow as much time as possible to machine to warm up / cool down.  For example, shut down the mining software, allow the temp to stabilize, then shut down the machine.  Same thing, reverse order, for start up.

This basically comes down the extremely small connections between the chip and the formed leads on the package being stressed by heat cycles.

It should also be obvious that mechanical shock during a temperature transient is a bad thing.  For example, grabbing your laptop, turning it off and tossing it in your backpack for a quick jog to the bus stop is not doing your laptop any favors.

Hope this helps.

(Yes, I do have some experience with heat transfer, fluid flow, design of electronics and life time longevity engineering.)

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
detail3

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 12:27:55 AM

That is, a steady state temperature of 70C will be easier on your machine than going room temp to 60C twice a day.

If you _have_ to shut down or start up, allow as much time as possible to machine to warm up / cool down.  For example, shut down the mining software, allow the temp to stabilize, then shut down the machine.  Same thing, reverse order, for start up.

This basically comes down the extremely small connections between the chip and the formed leads on the package being stressed by heat cycles.

It should also be obvious that mechanical shock during a temperature transient is a bad thing.  For example, grabbing your laptop, turning it off and tossing it in your backpack for a quick jog to the bus stop is not doing your laptop any favors.

Hope this helps.

(Yes, I do have some experience with heat transfer, fluid flow, design of electronics and life time longevity engineering.)

This is very good advice.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1260

bloginhell.me

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 12:42:27 AM

Hope this helps.

chuckles thinking about how many gpus have suffered from this in all devices from computers and laptops to the much more common xbox360's and PS3s

▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
.JOIN THE CLUB !
 Bitcointalk.club
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
▄▄
BLOG:  www.bloginhell.me        BTC: 192tyaiwWxJ2UhSxUCbQW4JuA3Le5CEhWH                 Free 5GB Storage Cloud.Bloginhell.me 
Bonz

Activity: 215

Mining history: BTC->LTC->FTC->CRC:2200kh/s

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 12:46:26 AM

Hope this helps.

fantastic advice.  can't even count how many RROD's and YLOD's I've fixed because of this

If I've helped you, who knows it could happen =) PLZ donate      BTC - 34CGHYkhKi2eFP5GBhtsNpQdFvrxo7WT1u     LTC - WfGiVRgBTLWzfiEfg69QVReWiDvMuQxxHW
                                                                                              FTC - 9x9DT1QDe9bP5E75gSDnkwbVWmwjevpiAQ     CRC - Q5swva1yTrD3Gh7HijDSiETvk6evpe5apl
greenie214

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:11:47 AM

Nice bit of infor there. got my 6970's running at 70oC all the time now. at 925 and 985 mhz with over 800 mhash. Smiley
Trongersoll

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:39:36 AM

No such thing as Free electricity. Somebody is paying for it somewhere. If you are mining, you are changing their money into your Bitcoins. Kinda sounds like stealing without the victim knowing it.
Joshster

Activity: 42

Your average Bitcoin enthusiast.

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:40:27 AM

I'm sure the bill payer will notice the spike in electricity, not very fair to make them pay for it.

If Bitcoin ever became widely used, we can all say we was in it from the start.
Mark2013

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:11:02 AM

I would suggest a Water-Cooling, its powerful & silent  Wink

⚡Semux - First Java-based BFT Blockchain
TomUnderSea

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:32:57 PM

Probably not free,  more likely a flat rate with no individual metering.   Think dorm room.  When I lived in barracks, I "owned" one outlet for whatever I wanted to plug in.  That Commodore 64 was well used.

BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 06:38:09 PM

Once the person paying notices (one or two month spike) they will either stop the usage or raise the flat fee.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:44:21 PM

One of the properties I have access to has a flat annual fee for rent and utilities.  Water and electricity are included because there is no individual metering possible for water or electricity.  Usage is limited by the size of the water pipe and the circuit breaker.  The circuit breaker is 120V/20A but only about half that is not currently being used.

It even has free wifi access but I am not sure it can handle the data rates required for operating a mine.  First I need to figure out what the data rate is, then figure out if the free wifi access will tolerate that.

The next challenge would be getting a mine and physically installing it. 

Short answer, yes there are places where electricity is available for a flat rate as part of a larger package.  Next time you park your RV at a campsite and plug in, think about how you are paying for that electricity.

TooM

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:53:03 PM

Hello everyone,

Im based off this remote site where I have free electricity and a small split air conditioner in my room turned on 24/7.  Grin

I got a 7870 Pitcairn GPU and I thought I'd give mining a shot. But my concern is the heat and effects on the hardware. My questions are:

1) Will other hardware (besides GPU) be affected?  (PSU for example - also got an overclocked Phenom X6 - which has a huge power draw when oc'd, so I do not want my CPU participating in the mining)

2) What if I make the AC blow into my case and make it cold like lets say ~50C GPU temp at load, would it reduce the effects of shortened lifespan considerably? Or is it just that 100% usage 24/7 that is the issue

Thanks!

If electricity is free for you, you would not need any ASIC or FPGAs! buying 2nd hand ATI GPU cards are far cheaper!

For cooling you could even put your rig in a freezer, better than any cooling system in the world!
bitchess

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

I think mining will definitely decrease the life of you GPU.  It might slightly decrease the life of your motherboard.  But nothing quantitative just my guess
IslandGuy

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:02:45 PM

Has anyone tried to use a solar panel or two? That could at least make the price of the electricity fixed.
coinbender

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 03:36:32 PM

Free solar rocks
siknix

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:07:59 PM

It seems that no matter what, you're going to be running an intensive process on your graphics card which will end up shortening the life span of it.
JX8P

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:07:40 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

If electricity is free for you, you would not need any ASIC or FPGAs! buying 2nd hand ATI GPU cards are far cheaper!

For cooling you could even put your rig in a freezer, better than any cooling system in the world!

All the ASICs I have seen have much greater performance than GPUs at a similar price. I wouldn't put your rig in a freezer either. Your freezer will balk at all that heat. Freezers keep things cool-- they're not designed to remove heat constantly.

Try and keep your card cold. Many folks will say 'Use 100% fan speed!' -- I'm inclined to disagree. Fans spinning fast are noisy and have a greater tendency to wear out the bearings. I've also heard that the centrifugal force they exert has been known to damage cards.

I noticed someone said that it would be wiser to run a card at 70c, 24/7, than have it fluctuate from ~20c to 60c. That is sound advice. Thermal related expansion and contraction of card components has a tendency to break solder joints. That's only fixable by reflowing the joints, which is a difficult process.
BitcoinBoss

Activity: 392

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 05:12:38 PM

Has anyone tried to use a solar panel or two? That could at least make the price of the electricity fixed.

Solar powered mining, I like the sound of that! Smiley

FREE BITCOIN ! ---> FreeBitco.in (Faucet + Multiplier) <--- FREE BITCOIN !
FREE LITECOIN ! ---> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223514.0 <--- FREE LITECOIN !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.