Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:19:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Cold Staking a 'must have feature' moving forward for all PoS?  (Read 1787 times)
dannon

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 10, 2017, 12:40:03 PM

No. You should not be able to earn coins without contributing to he network. In pow, miners earn fees and block rewards. In POS, staking nodes earn fees and % of their coin. Rewarding a wallet for existing is pointless. If everyone has 1% more coin tomorrow, no one is better off than they were today.

Sad Sad Anyone else sick of trying to join signature campaigns and being denied after you have worn their signature for a week? Sad Sad
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 03:03:01 PM

DNotes 2.0 will feature cold staking when the update is released in September.

Core updates:

Proof of Stake
Will move power of the network away from miners, and into the hands of currency users / holders who share the network's best interests. Effectively pays out an interest (~2%) for running a node on the network. Paying out the block reward to holders creates a benefit to holding the currency by means of earning 'interest' from the currency, which combined with a reduced block reward (more than half) will likely mean many fewer DNotes on the sell side at exchanges, and what is there will likely dry up over time.

Non-Staking savings accounts / CRISP 2.0
All deposits held at our secure DNotesVault will earn a further ~2% on all deposits held for 30 days or more, which encourages savings - the foundation of any healthy economy. Both the staking reward, and the CRISP reward can be earned at the same time for a total of ~4%.

Cold Staking
Users can defer privileges to stake coins from one wallet to another. So a wallet with no coins in it can be awarded the privileges to stake on behalf of an offline wallet containing many coins. This means coins are never exposed to security risks connected to the internet, and can still earn the stake reward. DNotesVault accounts will be cold-staking capable to allow DNotes holders to both run a node to earn the staking reward, and earn the CRISP savings reward - all the while having their coins held securely in cold storage.

Automated Invoicing...

Continued...  -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1924858.680

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
RandomEvent

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 05:56:05 PM

the "Deep Freeze"
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 06:07:21 PM

It's a nice feature but its name is confusing. Cold storage is offline storage so I thought cold staking would mean offline staking. But that would be dumb and you obviously need (one of) the wallets to be online.

It's closer to multisig but for staking, not for transactions. Not sure what it should be called though.
After reading the title i also thought that it would be like that the coins will be staked even with the wallet being offline and I was dreaming me. me making coins with my POS wallets offline.
But now I see what is the concept behind this.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 06:04:48 PM

It's a nice feature but its name is confusing. Cold storage is offline storage so I thought cold staking would mean offline staking. But that would be dumb and you obviously need (one of) the wallets to be online.

It's closer to multisig but for staking, not for transactions. Not sure what it should be called though.
After reading the title i also thought that it would be like that the coins will be staked even with the wallet being offline and I was dreaming me. me making coins with my POS wallets offline.
But now I see what is the concept behind this.

I guess DNotes 2.0 is giving a new definition to cold staking. You can keep your DNotes in a secure offline wallet, and have that wallet stake to an online wallet (that can have a zero balance). You could then transfer the staked coins to your offline wallet if you wish.

Part of the September 2017 massive upgrade to DNotes:

"Cold Staking
Users can defer privileges to stake coins from one wallet to another. So a wallet with no coins in it can be awarded the privileges to stake on behalf of an offline wallet containing many coins. This means coins are never exposed to security risks connected to the internet, and can still earn the stake reward. DNotesVault accounts will be cold-staking capable to allow DNotes holders to both run a node to earn the staking reward, and earn the CRISP savings reward - all the while having their coins held securely in cold storage."

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
SativaL.

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 02:39:58 PM

Particl.io p2p private decentralized marketplace will activate it via fork in november  Smiley
balehubucks

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Powering Commerce

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 07:40:29 AM

No. You should not be able to earn coins without contributing to he network. In pow, miners earn fees and block rewards. In POS, staking nodes earn fees and % of their coin. Rewarding a wallet for existing is pointless. If everyone has 1% more coin tomorrow, no one is better off than they were today.

Well not everyone will be staking.  But through staking, you will be in essence freezing the supply of tokens. If demand remains constant, then it increases the equilibrium price, that would actually make everyone better off.  Especially those staking and receiving rewards for it.  Once more people catch on to this idea, we'll definitely see more POS coins doing this. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: