Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:18:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CNN : The Bitcoin Bubble Re-Inflates  (Read 2193 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 01:30:34 PM

BItcoin prices are back in rally mode, just one week after it looked like the bubble had started to burst.

Early Friday, Bitcoin prices traded as high as $136.43 before pulling back to $119.36. That's more than double this week's low of $50.

Trading volume doubled in just two hours.

The price of the virtual currency, which was created by an anonymous hacker just four years ago, has increased almost 20-fold this year. It gained particular attention in the wake of a mini-bank run in Cyprus, which had raised concerns about the health of government-backed paper currencies like the euro and the U.S. dollar.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/19/investing/bitcoin-prices-rally/

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:31:57 PM

and they will continue to be surprised.
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:02:38 PM

This is good stuff. A lot of people probably thought that they had heard the last of Bitcoin after the "crash", yet here we are - Bitcoin still going strong. The media can only do so many "Bitcoin bubble" stories, at some point people capable of thinking for themselves are going to make the conclusion that maybe it's not a bubble when it just refuses to pop and go away.

By the way, CNN Money also did an article "I lost $50,000 in Bitcoin crash, but I'm still a believer" which is linked there. And that's just dreadful writing once again, the guy couldn't possibly have lost 50k when he's only invested 4k in total. Another way to look at it is that he turned 4k into 20k, but that's not the TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS LOST headline CNN was looking for.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
denizen

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:38:46 AM

I would love to secretly replace the mt gox ticker with the output of a random function and watch the analysis on this forum and from the media as the price lurched around.
stayeduptolate

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 12:43:04 AM

Bitcoins will continue to climb again I am confident ! Smiley
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 01:04:32 AM

which was created by an anonymous hacker

I have noticed this being mentioned more in the government media lately.

Taking either the original definition of hacker or the newer derogatory term for hacker, Satoshi does not fit either.

He wrote a computer program on his own computer and then released it to the world.

The original term for hacker referred to someone who would go into other people's computer systems to check things out and discover things that other people were doing, even hacking into a software program to see what it does and change things to learn more about it.

The new media term refers to people who break through security of other people's computer systems and cause mischief.

Satoshi was neither.

Am I to be considered a hacker because I write computer programs for my company?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:22:50 AM

Taking either the original definition of hacker or the newer derogatory term for hacker, Satoshi does not fit either.

He wrote a computer program on his own computer and then released it to the world.

The original term for hacker referred to someone who would go into other people's computer systems to check things out and discover things that other people were doing, even hacking into a software program to see what it does and change things to learn more about it.

The new media term refers to people who break through security of other people's computer systems and cause mischief.

Satoshi was neither.

Am I to be considered a hacker because I write computer programs for my company?

ive also noticed this and im not a fan of people using this term. especially when mainstream media usually uses the term hacker is criminal. i worry a lot of mainstream people will hear the word hacker and the fact that no one knows who satoshi is and be turned off.  all it takes is one looney politican to hear this and go on a rampage about how bitcoin was created by hackers and silk road an blah blah blah...protect the kids!

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:31:48 AM

Satoshi was neither.

To be frank, they're the only ones using this term incorrectly; I believe they're doing it on purpose.  What's so wrong about referring to Satoshi as he is?--a programmer.  Most everyone (except Linux enthusiasts I suppose) considers a hacker to be a criminal who compromises the security of various computer systems.  Funny how they picked up the unpopular term in lieu of the accepted term.  Is Zuckerberg a hacker, too?  According to wiki:
Mark Zuckerberg (born 1984), American programmer and internet entrepreneur, founder of Facebook

The media should also refer to him as a hacker.  But it's cool, because he didn't invent satan money, and Facebook is generally accepted; hell, it's encouraged, since CISPA's about to reap the benefits of that.

Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 03:50:42 AM

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:29:15 PM

I would love to secretly replace the mt gox ticker with the output of a random function and watch the analysis on this forum and from the media as the price lurched around.

You should input some random 'lag' and 'hack attack aka ddos' gifs with appropriate snail or flame animation in the background as well.
papa_snurf

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 09:35:02 PM

BItcoin prices are back in rally mode, just one week after it looked like the bubble had started to burst.

Early Friday, Bitcoin prices traded as high as $136.43 before pulling back to $119.36. That's more than double this week's low of $50.

Trading volume doubled in just two hours.

The price of the virtual currency, which was created by an anonymous hacker just four years ago, has increased almost 20-fold this year. It gained particular attention in the wake of a mini-bank run in Cyprus, which had raised concerns about the health of government-backed paper currencies like the euro and the U.S. dollar.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/19/investing/bitcoin-prices-rally/

Bitcoin is like a cockroach (in a positive way). The damned thing just won't die Smiley.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

What will be funny is if there's another mini-bubble now up to 180, then 'crash' back to 60, and then a new rise, then the headlines will read: The Bitcoin Bubble Re-re-inflates. lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: