Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:13:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it take an external event to pop a bubble?  (Read 1006 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

A soap bubble pops when you touch it, or when it rises higher right?

Tulip bubble popped because of the rumors of bubonic plague.

Last 2 bitcoin bubbles popped because of Mtgox.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:55:12 PM

I'd say yes and no.

I think the more inflated the bubble gets the more trivial can the trigger be to pop it. If this current one is pumped back up again, yes it can go to ridiculous heights, but it could also pop because of something equally ridiculous like a unfounded rumour. You see if somebody is irrational enough to buy in during the end of the bubble they will also sell just as easily.
In short: People subject to panic buying are subject to panic selling.

If I had the resources to do such a pump & dump on that magnitude I'd do just that: Prepare two unfounded rumours about Bitcoin one positive one negative. Spread the positive rumour to inflate it and expose the positive and spread the negative one to pop it.
xorglub

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:13:44 AM

Did the 2011 and 2013 bubbles pop because of MtGox ?

In 2011, MtGox was hacked *after* the price crashed to ~18, or 10 days after.
In 2013, the lag was bad, but it wasn't anything new. It was mostly felt on the way down.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:30:46 AM

In 2013, the lag was bad, but it wasn't anything new. It was mostly felt on the way down.

I agree with this!
No one is denying that Gox has become a terrible service plagued with problems. But the popping of bubbles is not their fault. The lag only kicks in after orders begin processing. The ddos was not the cause of the burst either. If anything, the lag/ddos slowed the sell-off, otherwise we may have seen $10 after the ensuing panic. The lag and the "cool off period" allowed people to rethink their decision to panic sell. 

codro

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:25:09 AM

I agree with this!
No one is denying that Gox has become a terrible service plagued with problems. But the popping of bubbles is not their fault. The lag only kicks in after orders begin processing. The ddos was not the cause of the burst either. If anything, the lag/ddos slowed the sell-off, otherwise we may have seen $10 after the ensuing panic. The lag and the "cool off period" allowed people to rethink their decision to panic sell.  

I disagree, the bubble did not pop because people cashed out. It popped because people wanted to make a day trade and grow their portfolios. This is apparent from the record volume following in the days after the "pop".

Personally, after seeing lag get to 20 minutes+, I sold for this exact same reason. I knew people would sell after me, I was almost guaranteed a good trade by the time it executed, and I could always cancel it if it didn't pan out as planned.

I assume there's a very minor percentage of people that actually cashed out, as in, withdrawn their fiat after selling.

But yes, the trading lag did contribute greatly to the bubble popping the way it did. It offered everyone who was vigilant an incredible advantage. I'm fairly certain that if there wouldn't have been any lag, the drop would've stopped much sooner - maybe in the ~$180 range.
xorglub

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:46:21 AM

I would say bubbles pop when reaching the tipping point between greed and fear.
The smart investors feel the unsustainable growth and start cashing out, but new money keeps flooding in. The price explodes up faster and faster as long as there are more greedy people throwing money at it, making more people wanting out, and simultaneously more people greedy, etc...
At some point the trend reverses, and then everybody wants out. Boom.

How to call the top, is the 21MBTC question.

BTW there was no lag in 2011. In fact there was no lag yesterday when it went $90->$130 in a few hours and crashed back down either. Lag just adds to the panic. As do hacks, bad news, etc...
There was already lag during the weekend dips on the way up. Lots of it. I don't really remember when it started, sometime around January I guess, but it didn't stop the price from going 10x up since then.

Extreme bad news such as the fork did indeed induce a flash crash, but that's a change in fundamentals. Bubbles are fueled by irrationality.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:52:35 AM

There never was a "2013 bubble", not yet at least. Nothing there in the monthly chart. Sorry.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:54:26 AM

There never was a "2013 bubble", not yet at least. Nothing there in the monthly chart. Sorry. Lalala I can't hear you.
codro

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:56:16 AM

In 2011 there wasn't an actual flash crash, it merely went from a quick rise to $31 back to $18 in the timespan of a few days, after which there was a major hack at MtGox which knocked it offline for a few days.

There was a lot of bad press surrounding this, and people lost confidence - also, there was much less liquidity in the market then, and barely any places to spend any coins. Hardly any bad press now.
xorglub

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:10:11 PM

Every bubble is a correction, and every correction can be seen as a bubble. It just depends on the timescale.

There was blood in the streets in 2011, yet on today's all time chart it merely looks like a small bump in the road.
2013 will probably look the same in a few years.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 12:15:49 PM

Does it take an external event to pop a bubble?

Markets are generally thought to be chaotic systems (hugely sensitive to tiny variations in initial conditions), so chasing explanations of causality is probably futile.

There is a human need to ascribe causality after the fact, and a journalistic need to package any causality claims into simple terms.

I'd be much more interested in learning of evidence of attempted market manipulations - successful or not - analogous to the Hunt brothers silver market saga.

Who, if anyone, tries to pull BTC levers on a large scale, and why?... not the routine "BUY, BUY, BUY", "SELL, SELL, SELL", "HOLD, HOLD, HOLD", "AVOID, AVOID, AVOID" chatter, of course.

Naturally, I'd be looking for evidence of such behavior from the usual suspects in the financial sector, but without evidence (now or in the future) it is just guessing.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:19:37 PM

Last 2 bitcoin bubbles popped because of Mtgox.

http://youtu.be/K2ku1A5Ox8U  Cool

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: