Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:33:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Charts: How an ETF Approval Could Impact Bitcoin's Price  (Read 1551 times)
alyssa85 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 07:27:39 PM

Turns out that the Winklevoss ETF is not the only one trying to get approval:

http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2017/01/20/another-bid-for-a-bitcoin-etf/

The race to launch a bitcoin exchange-traded fund for retail investors became a three-way competition.

According to Paul Vigna at The Wall Street Journal, Grayscale Investments, a firm run by technology entrepreneur Barry Silbert, filed with the SEC to list its Bitcoin Investment Trust (GBTC) on the New York Stock Exchange.

Grayscale joins two other groups seeking approval for their bitcoin ETFs. Winklevoss Capital, the firm operated by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, is awaiting an SEC decision on its filing, which is expected by March. SolidX is also seeking SEC approval for its bitcoin ETF, which also would be listed on the NYSE.

As the newspaper reports:

The move by Grayscale Investments, a unit of Mr. Silbert’s Digital Currency Group, could expand the audience for the fledgling virtual currency if the fund is approved by the SEC. It also could prove an early test for how an SEC run by a Donald Trump appointee will greet innovations that may raise investor protection or other market-structure issues.

…The benefits of being first on a major exchange could be big, assuming that bitcoin does manage to establish itself as a viable asset class. The SPDR Gold Shares ETF launched in Nov. 18, 2004, and has $31 billion in assets. The iShares Gold Trust ETF launched on Jan. 21, 2005, and has $7.7 billion in assets. Gold, a commodity not backed by any particular government, appeals to investors for some of the same reasons that bitcoin does.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 09:00:35 PM

I really can't see the ETF happening. Just my opinion and can't really back this up with anything.

It just doesn't seem like the right time. I'm usually bullish but I expect a large drop come March the 11th when everyone realises it's not happening.

Too much hype on this.

Edit.

Winkle lawyer says ETF unlikely. Well that says it all to me.
I hope I am wrong.

This.
And the fact it is taking so long suggests.... a problem.
If it were a hot commodity, it would have come out already.
The whole ETF smells of BS - why not just buy Bitcoin, cut the middleman out?
JMHO
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 09:35:17 PM

I really can't see the ETF happening. Just my opinion and can't really back this up with anything.

It just doesn't seem like the right time. I'm usually bullish but I expect a large drop come March the 11th when everyone realises it's not happening.

Too much hype on this.

Edit.

Winkle lawyer says ETF unlikely. Well that says it all to me.
I hope I am wrong.

This.
And the fact it is taking so long suggests.... a problem.
If it were a hot commodity, it would have come out already.
The whole ETF smells of BS - why not just buy Bitcoin, cut the middleman out?
JMHO

because there are lots of institutional investors who are - by law - only allowed to invest in exchange traded assets. On top of this especially those investors happen to be very big investors with billions to invest. They cannot buy physical gold but they can buy gold etf. same with bitcoin: they cannot buy bitcoins directly - it is against the law.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 10:40:56 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2017, 02:12:58 PM by Torque

because there are lots of institutional investors who are - by law - only allowed to invest in exchange traded assets. On top of this especially those investors happen to be very big investors with billions to invest. They cannot buy physical gold but they can buy gold etf. same with bitcoin: they cannot buy bitcoins directly - it is against the law.

Not to mention, any inflows of fiat directly into Bitcoin ETFs will go only to buying and selling of bitcoin (e.g. that investment/trade money would not be allowed to flow into BTC/altcoin pair trades).  So in theory, Bitcoin marketcap would pull away from other altcoins.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 05:10:59 PM

Not to mention, any inflows of fiat directly into Bitcoin ETFs will go only to buying and selling of bitcoin (e.g. that investment/trade money would not be allowed to flow into BTC/altcoin pair trades).  So in theory, Bitcoin marketcap would pull away from other altcoins.
Initially, probably. Yet the average newcomer will see they can purchase the likes of LTC and ETH for way cheaper and they then get to buy more substantial amounts. Big money will flow into BTC but the average, interested person that lives just beyond paycheck to paycheck will fuel certain alts. Will they be able to keep up w/ the big buyers and keep a stable parity or more is the question.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 09:51:44 PM

Fail.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/sec-rejects-winklevoss-bitcoin-etf/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: