Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:51:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt Randomly Crashing  (Read 710 times)
TheBanksLife (OP)

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:07:18 PM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Bitcoin Core QT 0.13.1 AND 0.14.0
Operating System: ROKOS V7
System Hardware Specs: Raspberry PI 3
Description of Problem: Bitcoin-qt will continuously crash at random times and the error log doesn't seem to say why.
Any Related Addresses: N/A
Any Related Transaction IDs: N/A
Screenshot of the problem: N/A
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client: http://satoshispalace.com/debug.log

Notes:
- I've tried wiping everything and starting with a "fresh" install of ROKOS 7.
- The issue appears to be worse with 0.14.0, but both versions crash. (not sure if it's just bad timing when I check on it)
- I downloaded the blockchain on my computer then switched it over due to the terrible download time using the Raspberry PI.
- Strangely when I download the blockchain on my main computer and it's right up to date and then I transfer the files/folers over to the Raspberry, the wallet stays open at least 6- 10 hours. However when the wallet crashes and it says it's catching up on a couple days / hours is when it tends to freeze.
- I'm using the Raspberry for strictly the wallet, not trying to run any additional applications.

I've tried with and without setting my peer connection limit to 8, also have tried adjusting my db mem cache to 100mb.

I've uploaded the debug.log which can be viewed at the link above. Hopefully someone can help!
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6637

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 08:49:01 PM

You are probably running out of memory. Decrease the dbcache and the maxmempool parameters (defaults for both is 300 IIRC).

TheBanksLife (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 10:04:55 PM

You are probably running out of memory. Decrease the dbcache and the maxmempool parameters (defaults for both is 300 IIRC).

Yeah that is what I thought, because the application is completely freezing, I can't force close it, nor move the mouse for that matter.

I've lowered the dbcache to 100.. Not sure about the maxmempoool.
thunderjet

Activity: 916
Merit: 312

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 12:59:44 AM

Yeah that is what I thought, because the application is completely freezing, I can't force close it, nor move the mouse for that matter.

From your debug log I can see you limited dbcache to 100MB, but your mempool is still on 300MB

You have to change mempool database size to 100MB too

Put in your bitcoin.conf file:

maxmempool=100
TheBanksLife (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2017, 09:11:26 AM

From your debug log I can see you limited dbcache to 100MB, but your mempool is still on 300MB

maxmempool=100

Yeah that seems to have helped, it has lasted quite a bit longer. I will update if it crashes again.
thunderjet

Activity: 916
Merit: 312

View Profile
March 15, 2017, 09:08:46 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2017, 09:16:25 AM by thunderjet

maxmempool=100

Yeah that seems to have helped, it has lasted quite a bit longer. I will update if it crashes again.

It seems that 0.14 wallet has quite a big memory leaking problem.

I tested mine machine (4 GB RAM) with 0.13.2 wallet and dbcache set to 500 MB.It crashed (run out of memory) after 10-12 hours of continuous working,while with 0.14 crashed after 30 minutes.

Setting dbcache on 300MB on 0.13.2 works fine for now after more than 18 hours of contionuos working.

I think that low RAM computers (2GB) should set dbcache and maxmempool to 150 MB or less(maybe 100MB will be optimum) and try to run 0.13.2 wallet

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: