Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:41:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing Private Keys - Paper Wallet  (Read 1342 times)
pufy (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 07:39:39 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2017, 09:02:55 AM by pufy

Im doing research first before making an actual test (then serious transactions) with regards to paper wallets. I have done research on youtube but what I am getting is mostly "how to make paper wallets" or "how to import private keys (of bitcoin wallet) to blockhain.info".

Other than that I still have questions and even here I can't find a thread that closely matches my expectations so I will make my own questions..

Bitcoin paper wallet first:

I have watch a tutorial how to import private keys to blockchain.info and base on the video the transaction was a success. But----

assuming that my private key has a pass phrase

B1. Can I reuse that wallet? even the private keys has already touches the internet... (what I mean for reuse is: the public address is a donation address, or even its not I just don't want to make another one)
base on your replies then I will decide if what method should I use

B2. My p-wallet contains 2 BTC, is possible to just take 1 BTC and the wallet will still have a ballance of 1 BTC?

B3. other than blockchain.info what other website can you recommend (legit) for importing private keys of papaer wallets?

B4. Is there a transaction fee upon importing private keys? if there is, is it automatically deducted from my current ballance?

Altcoins:

I'm guessing that the procedures for p-wallets are the same

A1. Bitcoin has blockchain.info, Where can I import private keys for

-> ethereum
-> dashcoin
-> litecoin
-> monero
-> dogecoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brobbel

Activity: 966
Merit: 342

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 07:53:00 AM

B1: Yes you can (are able to) reuse the wallet. But (as you already mentioned) the private key was on internet, so you can't be sure if noone else has it too. So if you want to be absolutely safe, don't reuse it.

B2: Yes and no. You will have to pay transfer(miners)-fee, so it will be less than 1 BTC.

B3: Website: I don't know, but you can take a look at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys . For example: you can install Mycelium on your computer to do the same thing on your own computer. This will be safer then using a website.

B4: No.

A1: I'm not aware of any website importing private keys, but you can do with a local wallet. Depending on the currency there are different possibilities.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16325

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 08:03:31 AM

B2: Yes and no. You will have to pay transfer(miners)-fee, so it will be less than 1 BTC.
Let me add to this: NO NO NO! You can mess up your change address if you don't know what you're doing, so just swipe the entire balance (and pay a transaction fee for this) instead of importing the private key.
I like using Mycelium Android wallet, it's very easy to import from the QR-code.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:39:11 AM

B1: You can reuse it. Most will suggest to use a new address because it's better for your privacy. But using the same address is safe. Also your private key is not in the open, only for a split second while signing the transaction (which you could also do offline). Otherwise all miners and nodes could see the key it is broadcasted and take advantage of it. 

B2: Yes this is possible. It depends on the UTXOs. Imagine that you send all your coins and get change back to the same address.

B3: Every wallet should have the option. Do you know the difference between sweeping and importing?

B4: Importing: No. Sweeping: Yes.

brobbel

Activity: 966
Merit: 342

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 08:48:32 AM

B3: Every wallet should have the option. Do you know the difference between sweeping and importing?

Maybe they should have the option, but not every wallet can import private keys.
pufy (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 08:52:45 AM

Let me add to this: NO NO NO! You can mess up your change address if you don't know what you're doing, so just swipe the entire balance (and pay a transaction fee for this) instead of importing the private key.
I like using Mycelium Android wallet, it's very easy to import from the QR-code.

-> swipe so when swiping (it gets the whole balance of the wallet) I don't need to import private keys .... That would work for a donation address right? , use that address (fix) just swipe it every time the balance got higher... [private key never touches the internet]
but how do i swipe a paper wallet in that way? (only way to spend coins is thru private keys right?, then still touches the internet)..
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 09:21:05 AM

-> swipe so when swiping (it gets the whole balance of the wallet) I don't need to import private keys .... That would work for a donation address right? , use that address (fix) just swipe it every time the balance got higher... [private key never touches the internet]
but how do i swipe a paper wallet in that way? (only way to spend coins is thru private keys right?, then still touches the internet)..
Address A hat 1 BTC.
I import it to my Wallte. Then my Wallet just adds adress a to my Wallet.
If i sweep adress A, then all the funds of adress A will be send to address B and a transaction fee will be necessary.
With importing you have the private keys in two places now and can spend from two wallets. With sweeping it is just on the new one.

Also private key touching the internet as you call it is something you should research more. you just use your private key to sign the transaction and can do this offline. then the keys get encrypted again and send to the internet. this is quite safe.

BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 10:36:04 AM

A1. Bitcoin has blockchain.info, Where can I import private keys for

-> ethereum
-> dashcoin
-> litecoin
-> monero
-> dogecoin

- Ethereum has http://www.myetherwallet.com/, it's a website that runs on your pc, so you private keys will not touch the internet.
- Dash: you can use https://electrum-dash.org/, a local dash lite client, your private keys wont touch the internet.
- Litecoin: https://electrum-ltc.org/ same as dash electrum but for LTC.
- Monero: I don't know much about monero :/
- Dogecoin: Go here https://my.dogechain.info/#/overview and click "redeem paper wallet"
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 3160

View Profile
March 12, 2017, 07:15:18 PM

it's sweep, not swipe, though I guess you can use whichever one you want.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: