Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:55:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 humans. virgin planet. how long for them to make a functioning laptop?  (Read 461 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 11:13:22 PM

100 average people land on a planet that has all of earth's natural resources. they have some food to survive and some very basic tools.

how long do you think it would take for them to construct a functioning laptop computer entirely from stuff dug out of the ground? would it take generations? a couple of decades? would it prove to be totally impossible without an entire planetary society supporting them?

what do you reckon?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7979

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 02:24:24 AM

I don't know the answer but one would think that at least one of 100 people of average intelligence would have had the foresight to carry a laptop with them on the journey if for no other reason than to occupy their mind playing Candy Crush on the long flight.
zokora

Activity: 532
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 07:08:07 PM

100 years? if people are smart enough
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 07:38:06 PM

I don't know the answer but one would think that at least one of 100 people of average intelligence would have had the foresight to carry a laptop with them on the journey if for no other reason than to occupy their mind playing Candy Crush on the long flight.

this is a scientific experiment so we can't have any cheating.

https://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites_how_i_built_a_toaster_from_scratch   this is an interesting example. the guy built a toaster genuinely from scratch. a really bad one.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:15:11 PM

100 average people land on a planet that has all of earth's natural resources. they have some food to survive and some very basic tools.

how long do you think it would take for them to construct a functioning laptop computer entirely from stuff dug out of the ground? would it take generations? a couple of decades? would it prove to be totally impossible without an entire planetary society supporting them?

what do you reckon?

To address this problem, you could create a game akin to FarmVille, where an Earth-like planet is seeded with 100 primitive inhabitants, half men and half women, where they virtually procreate, the process in which to onboard new players (X hours = number of years, like in FarmVille where hours/minutes = months). Their task is to build a laptop a rocket so to get off the planet prior to their sun exploding.

It'd be design as a fun educational game, where every step of the process is peer reviewed declaring what works and what doesn't based on current knowledge here on Earth. The game ends when the last person either virtually dies or turns the lights out as he or she boards the last rocket bidding adieu.

You can call it EarthVille, but open to some better name.

BTW, Craig Steven Wright aka Fake Satoshi Nakamoto one made pencis from scratch.
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:29:55 PM

To address this problem, you could create a game akin to FarmVille, where an Earth-like planet is seeded with 100 primitive inhabitants, half men and half women, where they virtually procreate, the process in which to onboard new players (X hours = number of years, like in FarmVille where hours/minutes = months). Their task is to build a laptop a rocket so to get off the planet prior to their sun exploding.

It'd be design as a fun educational game, where every step of the process is peer reviewed declaring what works and what doesn't based on current knowledge here on Earth. The game ends when the last person either virtually dies or turns the lights out as he or she boards the last rocket bidding adieu.

you sound like a man who knows what he's doing. you can take the idea and run with it. i wouldn't know where to start.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 04:18:22 AM

you sound like a man who knows what he's doing. you can take the idea and run with it. i wouldn't know where to start.

At least I knew where to start, viz. conjuring up the idea. Sadly, we're now in the same boat, but at least we have a boat and one oar. Hey, didn't we pass that same reef 36 minutes ago?
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 05:25:05 AM

All this talk about oars and boats reminds me of Mark Twain's - The Great Revolution in Pitcairn of if you don't like reading, you can listen to it here.

At the time of its writing, there were reportedly 90 people on the island.  They haven't produced any laptops yet but we can monitor their progress.  Hmmm... Not so promising  Shocked

Here's an excerpt from the essay:

...Moreover, the relationships are wonderfully, even astoundingly, mixed up and complicated. A stranger, for instance, says to an islander:

"You speak of that young woman as your cousin; a while ago you called her your aunt."

"Well, she is my aunt, and my cousin, too. And also my stepsister, my niece, my fourth cousin, my thirty-third cousin, my forty-second cousin, my great-aunt, my grandmother, my widowed sister-in-law--and next week she will be my wife."

This excerpt combined with the factual information about Pitcairn Island leads me to wonder if 100 people will allow for enough genetic diversity to carry the colony far enough into the future to develop anything high tech.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 05:41:15 AM

All this talk about oars and boats reminds me of Mark Twain's - The Great Revolution in Pitcairn of if you don't like reading, you can listen to it here.

At the time of its writing, there were reportedly 90 people on the island.  They haven't produced any laptops yet but we can monitor their progress.  Hmmm... Not so promising  Shocked

...Moreover, the relationships are wonderfully, even astoundingly, mixed up and complicated. A stranger, for instance, says to an islander:

"You speak of that young woman as your cousin; a while ago you called her your aunt."

"Well, she is my aunt, and my cousin, too. And also my stepsister, my niece, my fourth cousin, my thirty-third cousin, my forty-second cousin, my great-aunt, my grandmother, my widowed sister-in-law--and next week she will be my wife."

This excerpt combined with the factual information about Pitcairn Island leads me to wonder if 100 people will allow for enough genetic diversity to carry the colony far enough into the future to develop anything high tech.

"Starting with 100 people would surely result in a master race considering all Pakleds are direct descendants of only two of our kind according to the New Pakled Translation of our Bible - Bob O and Alice 1. They made us so to go and look for things take make us go."
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 05:52:47 AM

At the time of its writing, there were reportedly 90 people on the island.  They haven't produced any laptops yet but we can monitor their progress.  Hmmm... Not so promising  Shocked

"Starting with 100 people would surely result in a master race considering all Pakleds are direct descendants of only two of our kind according to the New Pakled Translation of our Bible - Bob O and Alice 1. They made us so to go and look for things take make us go."

Yeah but they needed help to things go.  They look for things.  Their ship is broken.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: