Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:27:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between a "coin" and "token"?  (Read 8160 times)
charlop24
Copper Member

Activity: 560
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:12:39 PM

In most cases, we use coin and token interchangeably. But I think, a token is simply a smart contract effected on an ecosystem which has a blockchain. A token is very simple to create and requires little or no technical expertise because its code has already been built on the ecosystem. A coin on the other hand requires a great deal of technical expertise because the blockchain needs to be built, together with the entire ecosystem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Igopraise

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 03:13:11 PM

coins are the tokens used for trading while tokens are a unit of the blockchain
joey alexander

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:26:50 PM

Both can be called cryptocurrency, but if coins (such as bitcoin or litecoin) work using their own blockchains, tokens live on top of existing infrastructure, such as the Ethereum blockchain. Blockchain, in fact, is a record of transactions protected by the network.
So, coins have their own independent transaction registers, and tokens rely on some third-party network to confirm and secure transactions. Coins are often used to transfer financial assets. Tokens have much more functions – this is a kind of digital contract for almost anything; physical objects, events tickets, loyalty points, etc.
Kakarot01

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:59:02 PM

The key purpose of contrast between a token and a coin is that a coin is issued by an administrative neighborhood or national expert and is unreservedly replaceable for products or different coins, while a token has a considerably more constrained utilize and is regularly issued by a privately owned business, gathering, affiliation or person. On account of "money tokens" issued by an organization yet additionally perceived by the state there is a union among-st tokens and cash.
USDOLLAR

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:28:42 PM

In my views, Coins are computerized cash, made utilizing encryption strategies, that store an incentive after some time. Fundamentally, it is a computerized likeness cash. Bitcoin is the most renowned case. Tokens are computerized resources, issued by the undertaking, which can be utilized as a technique for installment inside venture's biological system, Coins are the only strategy for installment while tokens may display an organization's offer, offer access to item or benefit and perform numerous different capacities. Coins are monetary standards that can be utilized for purchasing and offering things. You can purchase a token with a coin, yet not the other way around. Coin works autonomously, while token has a particular use in the task's biological community.
jon0008

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:05:36 AM

The different of coins and token.

Coins or Altcoin - are digital money, created using encryption techniques, that store value over time. Basically it is a digital equivalent of money. Bitcoin is the most famous example.

Token -Tokens are digital assets, issued by the project, which can be used as a method of payment inside project’s ecosystem, performing similar functions with coins, but the main difference is that it also gives the holder a right to participate in the network.

i hope this will help you. thank you
Tigra3458

Activity: 134

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:41:37 AM

Bitcoin is a coin. Then there are two kinds of altcoins. 1. Bitcoin forks: Litecoin, Dogecoin, they are built on the bitcoin code.  2. Other altcoins use their own blockchain such as Ethereum. And tokens do not create code from scratch, they use existing platforms and make a template, such as the standard ERC-20 .
nizamcc
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 10:53:31 AM

Bitcoin is a coin. Then there are two kinds of altcoins. 1. Bitcoin forks: Litecoin, Dogecoin, they are built on the bitcoin code.  2. Other altcoins use their own blockchain such as Ethereum. And tokens do not create code from scratch, they use existing platforms and make a template, such as the standard ERC-20 .
For many, there is no fundamental difference between these concepts. Currency includes the characteristics: the unit of account, medium of exchange and store of value. Coins and tokens differ in the method of creation.
surtiml

Activity: 39

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:07:11 AM

Perhaps I'm misconception something, yet why this expressed evasion and play with words? For normal shoppers this is a proportional idea, would it say it isn't? Talking about the digital currency - we mean a token, saying a token - we mean cryptographic money. In the wake of perusing the point, I positively now comprehend the distinction, however in the event that somebody lets me know the "token of the ether," I'll comprehend what I'm discussing and won't right it.
Rika eparani

Activity: 110

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:13:58 AM

if according to my analysis the difference between COINS and TOKEN is?
A coin is a coin that has a platfrom, while the token must be attached to another coin plate to get the price.
But the coin with the token remains the same coin. The token is usually called the Ethereum ECR-20 Asset, while the transaction token coin is faster than the coin because the token is an ethereum asset.
nianastasia62

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:55:51 AM

I understand that the difference is that the token is not mine but the coin well and the difference in the protocols is available.

GIGZI - INDEPENDENT WEALTH MANAGEMENT
www.gigzi.com
bryle10

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 10:11:59 AM

for me
the difference between token and coins and token is a reward when you join a bounty campaign that you can sell when the market value is out. you can accept it when you join airdrop facebook, twitter, signature that you do not need to invest you just need to work.

In coins you do not need to work as long as you have money you can invest and wait for the right time and recover your money when the value or market change is great.
Shenzou

Activity: 1400
Merit: 283

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 10:56:31 AM

I've heard of some companies offering tokens instead of coins, is this the same thing?

Coins are a method of payment and have a many uses like bitcoin or litecoin, you can use them in many ways and for many things, while tokens are just a type of currencies issued by a company or a site, specific to it so you can only use it for getting things or services from that specific place, and usually you are able to buy tokens with coins but not the other way.
diazen

Activity: 33

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 11:03:49 AM

Token is used when that ICO did not publish in the market.
Coin is used when that project is published already.
People will get many offers and benefits in buying Token and being one of the foundators of that ICO.
jeanross10

Activity: 15

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 02:32:13 PM

Coin is a means of payment. Bitcoin is a coin. Token is an asset that guarantees the compliance with the conditions, it works like a receipt for services or goods a person paid for.
calebwa

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 12:26:52 PM

Good question. For some time I couldn't grasp the distinction between “coin” and “token”. Then I've found this article from CITOWISE: https://blog.citowise.com/the-basics-coin-vs-token-what-is-the-difference-5cd270591538. Simple explanation there.
Actually, most companies offer both tokens and coins, for example, CEX.

terible.hunter

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

Bitfresh - iGaming with 90s UI

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 12:29:40 PM

The difference is very significant and of course as you guessed it, the coin has its own blockchain which can vary greatly in its beliefs, but as for the token, it is based on a common platform and has limitations in the changes.

KarinaMix

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 12:33:29 PM

honestly, I do not see a difference, I know only one thing that tokens is so to speak a digital coin that you are paid, then you convert tokens into coins, and then into currency. Maybe I am.
Haynes

Activity: 518
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 08:25:23 AM

The token is a cryptocurrency that still attaches its network to another coin, for example the Ethereum coin that always gives its token network to ICO participants.

If Coin is a cryptocurrency that stands on its own network or has its own Explorer.
Thomas-s

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 10:39:50 AM

Tokken is a component of the coin, they can be obtained for special actions for the company , after which the company pays you tokens.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"