Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:37:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The History of the Bitcoin  (Read 1957 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 07:23:47 PM

I've been developing a comprehensive introductory course on the Bitcoin for mainstream consumers and I'd like to include a lecture on the history of the Bitcoin in the course. Do you guys have a suggestion for authoritative resources on the history of the Bitcoin? If not, then lets build one. Start posting major events in the History of the Bitcoin

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:30:36 PM

There are at least 100 good stories. Probably 1000. Here are some events at random (kids screaming): Satoshi's cypher punk release post. Hal Finney's receiving the first transaction (which he wrote about here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155054.0). MyBitcoins.com. 10kBTC pizza. Knightsmb making people crap their pants with his screen shot. Zhou tong. Pirate. Glbse. BitBills.com. Mike Caldwell Casascius coins, including the typo. The slashdottings. June 2011. There are so so many more.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:32:44 PM

The more nefarious side of Bitcoin history.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:00:49 AM

Hi Charles,
Just to let you know that the history of Bitcoin has precursors, so if you wish to include mention of it, it could be an avenue of study for those who want deeper insight.
I have noticed distinct differences between the left-brain logical thinkers, who delve on the more immediate, and the right-brained theorist who come from other disciplines and backgrounds. Usually the hardcore group wants to know what it is, what it can do for me, how to best use/develop it, and disregard the other, less pragmatic types.
The right-brained theorists are valid and often prescient in their pronouncements of trends but carry little credence on direction or development. 
Check out early postings by Hal or Satoshi and the rogue beginnings of cryptocurrency. If you need links or short explainers, there are many here to help.

FF
PS. good job on the videos!

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 12:03:13 AM

Thanks. My hope is to record the collective knowledge of this community and put it in video format. We can't afford to lose our history.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:44:36 AM

I was thinking on similar lines last night. especially... the very early history and the core of earliest adopters.
http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
as this chart shows, until ~ july 2010 there were very few unique bitcoin addresses. The small group of developers who were the entire bitcoin economy until then would most definitely have some interesting stories; I am sure most of them are here, and I couldn't blame them if they opted to remain anons, still, if you really want to understand a system, you should go back to its genesis and early steps.
I also like the analysis of how the very notion of virtual currency comes from video games. And how MtGoX was originally a trading center for "magic, the game" cards. Brilliant! Its got a bit of "life imitating art" thing to it. The dilettante is often the purest of creators, for they create from the love of their craft alone!
hak8or

Activity: 172

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:28:31 AM

Knightsmb making people crap their pants with his screen shot.

I was hoping if you could explain this? I never heard of such a thing before.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:30:58 AM

Can anyone make an introduction for me to some of the older members? I'd like to interview them about the history of the Bitcoin.

FreddyFender

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:34:45 AM

Knightsmb making people crap their pants with his screen shot.

I was hoping if you could explain this? I never heard of such a thing before.
The screenshot of the drop from $28 to $0.01 after the MtGOX hack.

Not to be outdone by the Cosby Caper hack of bitcointalk.
Salt them hashes boys!

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:35:36 AM

Can anyone make an introduction for me to some of the older members? I'd like to interview them about the history of the Bitcoin.

There is no "the Bitcoin", it is simply Bitcoin. When used to refer to the blockchain, protocol or underlying technology it is referred to as Bitcoin (upper case 'B'). When referring to the value of the currency then it is referred to as bitcoin or bitcoins (lower case 'b') like one would refer to dollars with a lower case 'd'.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
FreddyFender

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:38:49 AM

There is no "the Bitcoin", it is simply Bitcoin. When used to refer to the blockchain, protocol or underlying technology it is referred to as Bitcoin (upper case 'B'). When referring to the value of the currency then it is referred to as bitcoin or bitcoins (lower case 'b') like one would refer to dollars with a lower case 'd'.

I'll introduce you to Elwar! Usually whatever is rising/falling is due directly to Elwar!
 Wink
Can take/give a joke too!

jml

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:44:39 AM

I have the research paper from Nakamoto sitting on my desktop though you can download it here: http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
There are other crypto currencies that are branching off from BTC. A new paper that I am reading is based on zerocoin which addresses the anonymity issues that bitcoin fails to deliver.

"Everything is a matter of degree"
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:57:02 AM

I read satoshi's paper a few years back when the bitcoin was a very small project. I initially didn't think it was special at all. Then I thought about it and invested during the 4 dollar btc days. Everyone said I was nuts

jml

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 02:42:41 AM

I read satoshi's paper a few years back when the bitcoin was a very small project. I initially didn't think it was special at all. Then I thought about it and invested during the 4 dollar btc days. Everyone said I was nuts
Tell me about it; even my colleagues think its ludicrous and don't take it seriously.

"Everything is a matter of degree"
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 03:15:30 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=564.msg5607#msg5607

Knightmb. 370kBTC.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 04:51:21 PM

We do speak of _the_ Dollar though...For example, one would never say, I'm writing about the history of Dollar Smiley But I agree, we often rephrase things to avoid placing a "the" before Bitcoin ("I'm writing about Bitcoin history," for example).  And we do use Bitcoin to mean something very different from bitcoin or bitcoins. 

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:08:30 PM

How about the history of the Bitcoin Open Sourced Project. I decided the Bitcoin was a shorter title, but apparently the semantics police have come crawling early this morning Smiley

kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:18:07 PM

Wow, that old thread was a blast to read.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:32:39 PM

The MNW bet deserves a mention.

I think we should have a child board dedicated to preserving our history.  Anyone feel the same?

coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:42:53 PM

The history is rich and interesting, fortunately much of it is preserved.  Check out this March 2009 snapshot of bitcoin.org http://web.archive.org/web/20090303195936/http://bitcoin.org/

(Yes, that is satoshi's email address at the bottom)

Bitrated user: Rees.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: