Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:04:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMP eXchange wall Observer. second biggest and best exchange  (Read 89270 times)
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 01:32:06 PM

what?

I'm also from Belgium...
Hope this issue gets resolved soon!

edit: my last SEPA transfer was 1 day ago, so must be a recent problem...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 01:38:09 PM

Moving the "Flagged" discussion to this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=270716.0
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:36:42 PM

Bitstamp SEPA account flagged for "possible fraudulent activities" in Belgium (i.e. can't send money). Bitstamp is investigating the issue.
Damn,

Cite your sources.

Just out of my local branch, had some weird error messages with sending over the daily/weekly limit (2500/5000EUR) - which made no sense. Couldn't even send 1000 EUR.

Went to the bank (BNP Paribas Fortis), they checked the account number (I wasn't the first calling in for this apparently) and confirmed it was flagged.

Could it be that it is you who was flagged? Either way there needs to be conformation on this did you create a thread already?

No, they most likely flagged the account because either:

• people sent SEPA to bitstamp, bought coins and then said "wasn't me, must have virus" or
  • people used stolen banking credentials to buy coins on bitstamp

This happens only so many times without the destination account (bitstamp) getting a flag. Happened to me with intersango in 2011. Telling them I really wanted to send the money by phone helped and no, it wasn't my account that was flagged, but intersango account.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:42:42 PM

This just makes me so happy to see:

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 07:50:22 PM

BAMMMMMMM!!!!   Will be an interesting few weeks, months....

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 08:22:30 PM

ya this is gr8!

a few more weeks like that and Stamps will be #1

Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 08:36:36 PM

fyi noobs, this is "fracturing" not decentralization of the market. The latter to remain absent until a true peer2peer exchange arises.

fracturing just makes bot manipulation easier because it costs less to do so. not good for bitcoin
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 08:45:37 PM

fyi noobs, this is "fracturing" not decentralization of the market. The latter to remain absent until a true peer2peer exchange arises.

fracturing just makes bot manipulation easier because it costs less to do so. not good for bitcoin

Ripple is the closest thing and is pretty much the most hated project in this community. So now here is your "hope".
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 09:02:25 PM

Ripple is the closest thing and is pretty much the most hated project in this community. So now here is your "hope".

Cripple Huh ... I would prefer localbitcoin or #bitcoin-otc.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

Neither of which is an exchange in the sense that it would replace mtgox, at least for most users.
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:12:34 PM

i vote coinbase
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 10:38:33 PM

Neither of which is an exchange in the sense that it would replace mtgox, at least for most users.

10s (tens) years old cripple project did not transfer enough amount (total sum of all transactions in the history) than OTC, localbitcoin or Gox in ONE day. ... I'm sorry if you cant see,feel or hear this :-)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 10:59:07 PM

I'm a short term speculator, so tell me how am I supposed to use localbitcoin or OTC?

Ripple might have issues, but it's still the best potential alternative we've got in that regard. Uh and you do know ripple is endorsed highly by bitstamp, don't you?
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 01:22:53 AM

Ripple is a good concept, if they don't have that XRP thing, it will be more successful, XRP against the basic philosophy of bitcoin

Actually the risk management part should be the responsibility of end user, e.g. always divide large capital transaction into small pieces. So in principle just an escrow service and an exchange rate is enough for anybody to trade it locally, a credit system of each user is even better, you don't really need a physical exchange, information is all you need

When you do transaction in existing banking system electronically, localbitcoins.com has advantage, banks won't be able to tell which transaction is bitcoin related, but they will easily spot which transaction was sent to a bitcoin exchange

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 01:37:16 AM

Ripple is a good concept, if they don't have that XRP thing, it will be more successful, XRP against the basic philosophy of bitcoin

You have to have a cryptographic currency inside the network to prevent against spam.  Ripple doesn't work without it.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 04:03:10 PM

You have to have a cryptographic currency inside the network to prevent against spam.  Ripple doesn't work without it.

Anyway, ripple's gateway concept is much less flexible than a dealer in localbitcoins.com, those gateways will become the regulation and confiscation target

When it comes to interfacing with existing banking system, the best way is decentralize to every private person. Currently you can not do large size transaction on localbitcoins.com, but this exactly proved that bitcoin's popularity is still very low, that is the real transaction volume, not made up by some market maker in exchange

Coinseeker

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 04:21:45 PM

You have to have a cryptographic currency inside the network to prevent against spam.  Ripple doesn't work without it.

Anyway, ripple's gateway concept is much less flexible than a dealer in localbitcoins.com, those gateways will become the regulation and confiscation target

You think busts wont occur with a localbitcoin dealer?  Please tell me you're joking.  They are probably the easiest targets to bust.  If you're buying/selling on Gox, Stamp or any other exchange, you are taking the same risk.  These are all gateways.  If you have no interest in dealing with exchanges/Gateways why are you posting in a bitstamp thread?  Who also happens to be the most liquid Ripple gateway.

When it comes to interfacing with existing banking system, the best way is decentralize to every private person. Currently you can not do large size transaction on localbitcoins.com, but this exactly proved that bitcoin's popularity is still very low, that is the real transaction volume, not made up by some market maker in exchange

Sellers on localbitcoin are just local market makers.  Not sure what your point is here.  You're complaining because exchanges/gateways can handle large volume and can do so because of market makers?  I don't know much but I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about.  If these localbitcoin dealers are not licensed MSB's they are going down eventually.  It's just a matter of time before you start seeing Bitcoin stings.  I think you, like some people here are afraid to like Ripple so you refuse to learn what it actually is and thus regurgitate or make up mindless FUD.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 01:38:54 PM

You have to have a cryptographic currency inside the network to prevent against spam.  Ripple doesn't work without it.

You think busts wont occur with a localbitcoin dealer?  Please tell me you're joking.  They are probably the easiest targets to bust.  If you're buying/selling on Gox, Stamp or any other exchange, you are taking the same risk.  These are all gateways.  If you have no interest in dealing with exchanges/Gateways why are you posting in a bitstamp thread?  Who also happens to be the most liquid Ripple gateway.

Bust? What are you talking about? Last time I checked it was not illegal to buy, sell, own bitcoins.

Unless that changes, local trading is a viable alternative for the people to acquire bitcoins for transactional and store-of-wealth purposes and also to buy fiat again if need arises.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Coinseeker

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 07:47:24 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2013, 08:26:03 PM by Coinseeker

Bust? What are you talking about? Last time I checked it was not illegal to buy, sell, own bitcoins.

Unless that changes, local trading is a viable alternative for the people to acquire bitcoins for transactional and store-of-wealth purposes and also to buy fiat again if need arises.

Might be time to check again.  Here's a couple of notable quotes:

An administrator or exchanger that (1) accepts and transmits a convertible virtual currency or (2) buys or sells convertible virtual currency for any reason is a money transmitter under FinCEN's regulations, unless a limitation to or exemption from the definition applies to the person.

Under FinCEN's regulations, sending "value that substitutes for currency" to another person or to another location constitutes money transmission, unless a limitation to or exemption from

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

So, if such person is not a registered MSB, they are in violation of the law.  However, it does not appear to be illegal to mine and spend virtual currencies for goods and services.  There's plenty more in the link below.

http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:21:59 PM

I think the philosophy of bitcoin is decentralization, by doing this it can work cross the globe and be politically neutral. An exchange or gateway will have to follow the regulations of local government, which might not be interested for another country which have a different political situation

I don't care about FinCEN regulation because I'm not living in US, and I believe that many other countries will have different view on bitcoin than US. China could be a very big mover behind bitcoin in the future because all the mining equipment production will eventually be outsourced to there, and the chinese political system is totally different

We need thousands of localbitcoins-like website to connect local buyers and sellers, when there are more and more people have coins, local trading will be practical

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: