Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:11:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMP eXchange wall Observer. second biggest and best exchange  (Read 89271 times)
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 07:07:55 PM

slipping....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:32:33 PM

Bitcoincharts doesn't show updated price data for bitstamp anymore. Not the first time this happened, as well. This is pretty annoying. At first I thought, no big deal, no feed for a few hours, but it's more than a day now. When will this be fixed?

To play devil's advocate for a second: could it have anything to do with the fact that bitcoincharts is owned by Tibanne Co., Ltd., the company that runs mtgox? Maybe give people a little incentive to keep trading on mtgox... I mean, who wants to trade on an exchange whose data isn't even properly displayed. Then again, it's not as if mtgox has anything to fear from bitstamp, their position as the dominant exchange is as stable as ever. Oh, wait.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 11:57:47 PM

Bitcoincharts doesn't show updated price data for bitstamp anymore. Not the first time this happened, as well. This is pretty annoying. At first I thought, no big deal, no feed for a few hours, but it's more than a day now. When will this be fixed?

To play devil's advocate for a second: could it have anything to do with the fact that bitcoincharts is owned by Tibanne Co., Ltd., the company that runs mtgox? Maybe give people a little incentive to keep trading on mtgox... I mean, who wants to trade on an exchange whose data isn't even properly displayed. Then again, it's not as if mtgox has anything to fear from bitstamp, their position as the dominant exchange is as stable as ever. Oh, wait.

No devil advocate. Yesterday bitstamp one more time banned all bot ips that are making frequent requests to their api. Happened the same also around one month ago.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:42:59 AM

No devil advocate. Yesterday bitstamp one more time banned all bot ips that are making frequent requests to their api. Happened the same also around one month ago.

Kind of unsmart if they want to show the world that they are number 1.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:53:10 AM

What makes you think Tibanne owns them?  They host the site, but I don't think they own them.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:59:46 AM

What makes you think Tibanne owns them?  They host the site, but I don't think they own them.

You're right, I have no idea who *owns* bitcoincharts. I do know that the registrar of the domain is Tibanne according to whois

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:24:29 PM

You're right, I have no idea who *owns* bitcoincharts. I do know that the registrar of the domain is Tibanne according to whois

So it is hosted by Mark Karples hosting company.... Like a hundred other Bitcoin related sites.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

Still no bitstamp data on bitcoincharts. Pretty annoying as well: bitstamp responded that, as far as they know, it's not their fault. bitcoincharts didn't even bother responding at all.

qiuness

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:20:53 PM

I love the fact that they are banning bots.. bots kill the trading.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:27:32 PM

I love the fact that they are banning bots.. bots kill the trading.

Doubt it.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

What a load of bullshit. Show me a source that says that bitstamp is "banning bots".

Their API page defines a request limit ("Do not make more than 600 request per 10 minutes or we will ban your IP address."), which rules out *high frequency trading*, but you can very much use bots on bitstamp.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:12:42 PM

In unrelated news (and more on topic of this thread), bid/ask ratio shot up in the last 24 hours, from 0.67 to 0.85 (source: coinorama).

In the recent past, this was usually followed by a noticeable increase in $/btc. Will be interesting to see if it holds this time.

tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:21:31 PM

In unrelated news (and more on topic of this thread), bid/ask ratio shot up in the last 24 hours, from 0.67 to 0.85 (source: coinorama).

In the recent past, this was usually followed by a noticeable increase in $/btc. Will be interesting to see if it holds this time.

bids are building up (1k wall @ 123).

I am expecting some nice dumps on bitstamp.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:26:17 PM

Bids are building up and you think price will *drop*?

It's not impossible I guess, but not very likely IMO.

tarmi
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 12:39:02 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 01:06:59 PM by tarmi

those 1 k walls are nothing in comparison to mtgox order book, but are big enough for bitstamp. remember that bitstamp is processing withdrawals.

we all know that volume on bitstamp is small, so we have this market depth, but with bids building slippage is smaller and you could actually effectively test the price.

last week somebody dumped 2 k btc, and brought the price to 115. today 2k dump would bring the price to 123.

For me to dump on bitstamp is now tempting .
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 03:04:16 PM

those 1 k walls are nothing in comparison to mtgox order book, but are big enough for bitstamp. remember that bitstamp is processing withdrawals.

we all know that volume on bitstamp is small, so we have this market depth, but with bids building slippage is smaller and you could actually effectively test the price.

last week somebody dumped 2 k btc, and brought the price to 115. today 2k dump would bring the price to 123.

For me to dump on bitstamp is now tempting .

That's a bold statement. Last time I checked, 30d volume on bitstamp was about 60% that of mtgox. That's not exactly small. But I agree with your comment on bitstamp market depth, it is way less than 60% of mtgox.

re: "dump looks tempting". Sure, and those dumps happened in the past. But my point was, in the past month or so, bid/ask ratio was a relatively reliable, leading(!) indicator for price movement. Pretty imprecise unfortunately (i.e. ratio change and price change aren't proportional), so I never traded directly on it, but as an indicator of the general direction, it seemed to work well.

TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 01:20:00 PM

Finally! A wall to speak of.

oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:36:45 AM

Seems to hold, so far. From around 125 (on the 16th, when the ratio started going up) to slightly below 128 today. Small, but steady.

MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:08:21 PM

Seems to hold, so far. From around 125 (on the 16th, when the ratio started going up) to slightly below 128 today. Small, but steady.

Very suspicious behaviour at stamp for last two days. I am really eagered to see what will happen.

Probably we are waiting for gox to lead the way (buy / dump).
tarmi
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:48:38 PM

Very suspicious behaviour at stamp for last two days. I am really eagered to see what will happen.

I agree on that one.

To me it looks like somebody is trying to manipulate and bring the bitstamp price to mtgox levels, when actually there isnt any real buying pressure there.

Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: