Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:49:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I was just robbed (edit... I wasn't robbed. Victim of my own ignorance)  (Read 2349 times)
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:22:06 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2013, 01:41:18 AM by dhenson

Please tell me it isn't so, and if it is, please tell me what I did wrong, how this could have bee avoided.

1) I saved an offline version of btcaddress.org to generate an offline wallet.
2) I created a linux pen drive boot stick and installed ubuntu to my computer as a dual boot.
3) I installed bitcoin via the following method: (http://www.distrogeeks.com/install-bitcoin-qt-ubuntu/)
4) I copied my wallet.dat to my ubuntu partition (mounted the windows partition)
5) I attempted to perform a .1 btc transfer to my offline address 17JyyT1V4XzQoJ8Y6vHvXSEe9YLrSLbCzv
6) logged back over to windows to check the status and noticed that my original address had been drained (19YNvp4fxQWonc7NVjzA2QEzFy9MsBkUSE )
7) I quickly logged back over to ubuntu to attempt a double spend (in the hopes that it would invalidate the initial transaction. (not sure if this was a valid thing to try or not)

Am I hosed?  What happened?

edit... it's worse than I thought.  They drained my other address to. (1NMjGzpJxAseMJ7cng3yCuYtL2XZgjpeK9)

FML
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:29:46 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/19YNvp4fxQWonc7NVjzA2QEzFy9MsBkUSE

Looks like it was sent to 17JyyT1V4XzQoJ8Y6vHvXSEe9YLrSLbCzv

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:34:00 PM

btcaddress.org leads to a default looking GoDaddy address. Sounds like user error.

If you want a new wallet, perhaps just move the existing one and bitcoin-qt will create a new one.

Also, windows.. when you have Ubuntu to hand.. replace user.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:34:54 PM

Are you saying I'm just reading it wrong and my second send to my offline wallet was legit?

I can hardly type this as my hands are shaking so bad.
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:35:44 PM

sorry, bitaddress.org not btcaddress.org
kiko

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:39:00 PM

The rapid timing would suggest a key-logger was just waiting for you to enter your passphase.

How long had it been since you last unlocked that wallet?
bitcoinminer

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:39:59 PM

Are you saying I'm just reading it wrong and my second send to my offline wallet was legit?

I can hardly type this as my hands are shaking so bad.

https://blockchain.info/address/1NMjGzpJxAseMJ7cng3yCuYtL2XZgjpeK9

-Warren Buffett
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:41:49 PM

When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address. The wallet holds upto ~100 addresses for transactions. Perhaps you're just reading it wrong.

bitcoinminer's reply looks clear enough.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:42:46 PM

The rapid timing would suggest a key-logger was just waiting for you to enter your passphase.

How long had it been since you last unlocked that wallet?

This was the first time I had unlocked the wallet on Ubuntu.  The thing is, I haven't browsed with that install at all.  The only way it could have an infection is if the bitcoin install I used had an infected source.

Was that not the official repository? (bitcoin/bitcoin)
Liberty Payout

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:43:00 PM

It looks like the balance is indeed in your offline wallet.
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:43:50 PM

When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address. The wallet holds upto ~100 addresses for transactions. Perhaps you're just reading it wrong.

bitcoinminer's reply looks clear enough.

^^ I really hope this is what it is.

I'd much rather be a stupid noob, than a broke stupid noob.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:45:25 PM

I created a lecture in my course to discuss backing up your wallet without losing your money:

https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

I'd recommend checking it out. Backing up your wallet shouldn't be hard.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
bitcoinminer

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:45:29 PM

Yeah there are coins in the addresses you've posted.  I suggest using the blockchain explorer in the future.  We have enough panicked "I've lost all my BTC/Money" threads on this board already.

-Warren Buffett
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:53:22 PM

you did this with a copy of the same wallet dat. The old client on windows with the old copy of the wallet file just did not yet notice that you had moved BTC around with the copy of the same wallet file on the Ubuntu machine.

Rescan the wallet on the Windows machine and everything will be ok again.

Moving wallet files between different clients always leads to these kinds of confusions. After that you need to run it with -rescan to bring the seemingly wrong wallet in sync with the new reality again.

scintill

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:56:37 PM

Assuming the "thieve accounts" are just OP's change addresses, it makes me wonder if the pseudonymous features should be made "opt-in": by default, you only have one address and the client always spends change back to that one.  Having multiple "accounts" that only get used once and change every time you make a transaction is too foreign of a concept for the lay user.  And with current client behavior and transaction graph analysis it doesn't even afford much anonymity.

The "wallet copy" aspect as prof7bit mentioned may have also played into this.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 10:15:26 PM

I thought the same thing when I checked my address (in my sig). I saw that 12 BTC was moved. I freaked out.

Then I remembered that I paid for my hosting service from my BTC client. This sent about 13 BTC out, paid the .6 for the hosting service and returned the 12 or so BTC to a different address (the change).

Bitcoin does this on purpose to mix your addresses to help with anonymity.

Using a single address is not how it was designed to work.

To remedy this I went into my client and sent the full amount in my wallet back to my vanity address.

I usually use the few BTC I have on MtGox for spending but that day Gox was lagged up so I had to load my vanity address up to do the spending.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:04:15 PM

Just to put this to bed, and to allay any fears of new to bitcoin people reading my terror filled lesson.  I have all of my Bitcoins.

I was unaware of the fact that the bitcoin client auto sends the remainder to a different address.

Thank you to all who helped and sent PM's of concern.  The bitcoin community although seemingly arrogant and gruff at times has a good heart and helps when needed.

Again, thank you and all is well.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 11:13:41 PM

Just to put this to bed, and to allay any fears of new to bitcoin people reading my terror filled lesson.  I have all of my Bitcoins.

I was unaware of the fact that the bitcoin client auto sends the remainder to a different address.

Thank you to all who helped and sent PM's of concern.  The bitcoin community although seemingly arrogant and gruff at times has a good heart and helps when needed.

Again, thank you and all is well.

Strong work all. We have a good community. Glad your coins are safe. Now you've got a good story to tell...a story with a lesson too! I made the same mistake in my early days.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Loozik

Activity: 378

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:36:14 PM

When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address.

Newbie here. Let's assume I have 3 addresses and 10 bitcoins are in only one (two others are empty). Does it mean that when I send 1 BTC to a friend of mine, 9 bitcoins will be automatically sent to either of the remaining addresses of mine?

Thanks
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 12:03:52 AM

When you send BTC the remainder goes to a new address.

Newbie here. Let's assume I have 3 addresses and 10 bitcoins are in only one (two others are empty). Does it mean that when I send 1 BTC to a friend of mine, 9 bitcoins will be automatically sent to either of the remaining addresses of mine?

Thanks
Or to a new one you didn't even know existed in your wallet (there are many change addresses pre-computed in your wallet). Some have lost money by not understanding this concept and only having backups of the addresses they knew about. The way these change addresses were pre-computed was changed in bitcoinqt to make this less of a problem.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: