Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:46:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best BTC wallets? Learning the basics  (Read 698 times)
Nachalnik (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:44:25 AM

I'm looking to buy some bitcoin but don't know much about wallets and how they're used.

Any tips or links on where I can read up on it?

I use android and windows if it matters at all. What is the friendliest and most secure wallets available out there right now?

Thanks Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ReLieD

Activity: 546
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 11:32:52 AM

I'm looking to buy some bitcoin but don't know much about wallets and how they're used.

I use android and windows if it matters at all. What is the friendliest and most secure wallets available out there right now?

Thanks Smiley
Firstly let me tell you using online wallets in not recommend as they keep crashing.
By online wallets i mean blockchain.info . Even when I try to make transactions it crashes.

Now using offline wallets like mycelium and electurm is the most recommended.
You can even use electurm as your pc wallet.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█          ▄         ▄      ▄▄▄▄▄
█       ▄███      ▄███      █████
█        ████      ████     ▀▀▀▀▀
█         ████      ████
█          ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█           █████████████████████
█            ▀█████▄   ▀█████▄
█              ▀█████▀   ▀█████▀
█                 ▀▀        ▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 12:01:48 PM

Thanks Smiley
Firstly let me tell you using online wallets in not recommend as they keep crashing.
By online wallets i mean blockchain.info . Even when I try to make transactions it crashes.

Now using offline wallets like mycelium and electurm is the most recommended.
You can even use electurm as your pc wallet.

I've heard of Electrum, is it able to transfer/exchange between different kinds of coins? or is it able to change to fiat money in any way?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6108

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 12:06:15 PM

Wallets and exchanges are two different things, If you want to store your coins securely then I suggest using Electrum for Windows and Mycelium for Android. These wallets allow receiving and sending clearly so you will be able to deposit into exchanges, do what you have to do and then withdraw later.

There is no wallets that could make change your BTC to USD and keep it there, If you want a wallet that have built-in exchange (for other coins) then Exodus.io would be the best choice.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 12:21:13 PM

Wallets and exchanges are two different things, If you want to store your coins securely then I suggest using Electrum for Windows and Mycelium for Android. These wallets allow receiving and sending clearly so you will be able to deposit into exchanges, do what you have to do and then withdraw later.

There is no wallets that could make change your BTC to USD and keep it there, If you want a wallet that have built-in exchange (for other coins) then Exodus.io would be the best choice.

And i'm guessing that Electrum and Mycelium would be synced? or are they separate accounts?

So if you can't exchange to USD permanently then selling your coins to other people is the only option to get USD? if so, where would be the best place to do so?
I know of a company that will do this in the future but who knows how long it will take to get banks to sign off on it, might be years from now.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6108

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 01:04:28 PM

And i'm guessing that Electrum and Mycelium would be synced? or are they separate accounts?

So if you can't exchange to USD permanently then selling your coins to other people is the only option to get USD? if so, where would be the best place to do so?
I know of a company that will do this in the future but who knows how long it will take to get banks to sign off on it, might be years from now.

Electrum have an android version too, you could use the seed from the Desktop wallet to recover it on the Android (I have never tried that but It should work), a lot of people prefer Mycelium on android because the GUI is much better and It has more features.

I don't know where are you from so I can't give you any services at the moment, but If you have payment methods like PayPal, Skrill, Neteller etc... then I suggest using the "currency exchange" section on the forums and trade with individuals instead of companies.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
greenwall2002

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 01:13:43 PM

I use blockchain.info. it is fast in received and send bitcoin, almost instant. and the fees is low. I recommend it.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 02:02:59 PM

I definitely recommend using the Electrum wallet. Ever since Blockchain.info changed their UI, I haven't been a fan. If you want a simplistic wallet, it will work, but if you want more complete control I definitely recommend something like Electrum. With Electrum, you can control which addresses you send funds from and it has better fee estimation with the Dynamic Fees feature which is now enabled by default in new versions.
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 03:41:22 PM

I definitely recommend using the Electrum wallet. Ever since Blockchain.info changed their UI, I haven't been a fan. If you want a simplistic wallet, it will work, but if you want more complete control I definitely recommend something like Electrum. With Electrum, you can control which addresses you send funds from and it has better fee estimation with the Dynamic Fees feature which is now enabled by default in new versions.

Yes, It will probably be the one I am going to use... just doing a bit more research to understand how the keys and trading works in general before I start buying or selling any coins. I don't want to make any noob mistakes xD

Thanks )
kuckong

Activity: 184
Merit: 10

Token That Will Transform The Venture Capital Mark

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 03:48:49 PM

i use coinbase & Blockchain, this 2 very recomended for me Smiley

Myfe

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 04:32:52 PM

There are a lot of different types of a wallets, each different type offers different benefits and drawbacks. So to ask which one is the "best" won't get you a good answer. There's hardly such thing a single "best" wallet. It depends on balance size, your use for bitcoin, your interest in level of management of your wallets (do you want to be your own bank), and your personal threshold for security.

Instead of asking us here, check out this site to help you choose your wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

There's more information out there on each, but this will help you narrow down the choices from the universe of options.

One last thing, there is one "wallet" that's paying interest on deposits. I put wallet in quotes because it actually started as a bitcoin faucet, so no one thinks of it as a wallet. But you can deposit your coins to this faucet and they will pay interest on your balance, daily. The interest is at 4% annually...so better than what's available in the fiat world. PM me if you want more details.

Mikellev

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:33:05 PM

i use coinbase & Blockchain, this 2 very recomended for me Smiley

I had used both of them and currently using coinbase and i would suggest coinbase over blockchain any-day because coinbase is much more user friendly when compared to blockchain or any other wallets and secure as well at the same time but there is nothing against blockchain but you need to make sure you never forget your password in blockchain or else it almost equal to impossible for retrieving the password in blockchain but coinbase is much more simple you can retrieve the forgotten password through the email address registered with the wallet.
Nachalnik (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:57:10 PM

There are a lot of different types of a wallets, each different type offers different benefits and drawbacks. So to ask which one is the "best" won't get you a good answer. There's hardly such thing a single "best" wallet. It depends on balance size, your use for bitcoin, your interest in level of management of your wallets (do you want to be your own bank), and your personal threshold for security.

Instead of asking us here, check out this site to help you choose your wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

There's more information out there on each, but this will help you narrow down the choices from the universe of options.

One last thing, there is one "wallet" that's paying interest on deposits. I put wallet in quotes because it actually started as a bitcoin faucet, so no one thinks of it as a wallet. But you can deposit your coins to this faucet and they will pay interest on your balance, daily. The interest is at 4% annually...so better than what's available in the fiat world. PM me if you want more details.

Thanks for the link Smiley

I'm not sure what a faucet is though, elaborate?
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 06:57:33 PM

Thanks Smiley

You can use web or desktop wallets. If you are looking web wallet which can available in Google playstore means you can blockchain.info, coinbase.com or spectrocoin.com
If you looking to have a desktop wallet for windows start with electrum wallet or multibit. both have a good features such private key sweeping, multiple wallets under one email address and some more.
NH

Activity: 422
Merit: 250

🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 03:21:30 AM

if you using android, you can use mycellium..
This wallet is pretty good  Smiley

A revolutionary decentralized digital economy 
Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
Myfe

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2017, 03:59:40 AM

Hi. I'm happy to elaborate...just sent you a personal message. If anyone else has questions, please feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks for the link Smiley

I'm not sure what a faucet is though, elaborate?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: