Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:43:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about one of the rigs I'm selling  (Read 714 times)
cojo244 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:40:44 AM

Hey everybody, i have this listing of mine on ebay, and i was wondering if you guys thought that it was a decent price? I didn't want to get extremly cheap parts for my customers, so what do you guys think? First post ever!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161012583303?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:45:12 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 03:03:54 AM by DeathAndTaxes

High end case, expensive processor, lots of ram, Windows 7, SSD?  None of that does anything but waste money.

With ASICs being shipped only a fool would be investing in GPU rigs ... but if one does buy a GPU rig other than quality PSU, and GPUs themselves everything else should be as cheap as humanly possible to maximize efficiency (MH/$).   Your $1.75 per MH is horrible.  Downright guarantees anyone buying it will never come close to breaking even.
alecpap

Activity: 55

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:45:43 AM

This look like a pretty solid rig. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to spend that much on a GPU mining rig right now, but it looks pretty slick. Nice work.
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:53:42 AM

High end case, expensive processor, lots of ram, Windows 7, SSD?  None of that does anything but waste money.

With ASICs being shipped only a fool would be investing in GPU rigs ... but if one does buy a GPU rig other than quality PSU, and GPUs themselves everything else should be as cheap as humanly possible to maximize efficiency (MH/$).   Your $0.75 per MH is horrible.  Downright guarantees anyone buying it will never come close to breaking even.
this rig isnt specifically for bitcoins, which the ASIC's from butterfly labs are. And, the SSD is extremely cheap, as well as the case. The processor is only $50, ram is only 2 gigs, windows 7 is pretty much a necessity.
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:55:14 AM

This look like a pretty solid rig. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to spend that much on a GPU mining rig right now, but it looks pretty slick. Nice work.
This rig isn't specifically for bitcoins, so it should be still extremely profitable for litecoin and other currencies as well. But thanks!
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 01:59:09 AM

Similar to what I'm doing, cool Smiley

2GB of RAM is hardly a lot, wouldn't go much lower especially if you plan to do Scrypt. Processor is pretty cheap, and SSD is around the same price as a 250GB Magnetic.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
fotooo

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:28:39 AM

BTC CHINA
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:30:02 AM

Similar to what I'm doing, cool Smiley

2GB of RAM is hardly a lot, wouldn't go much lower especially if you plan to do Scrypt. Processor is pretty cheap, and SSD is around the same price as a 250GB Magnetic.

Thanks!
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 02:45:51 AM

With "no sales" on a "new member" account... I seriously hope you have some realistic form of alternate sales-pitch...

From my perspective, (someone who buys/sells a LOT off e-bay), I can honestly say you and your advertisement look as fake and uninformed as can be.

RAM, SSD, CPU, CASE...

Funny that all you mention in the list comes to well over $6000 in hardware, yet, amazingly, you are selling it for a modest half-price... and can't even afford an actual photo of the actual rig being sold.

Great, you know how to google a gaming-rig and mark it down after stealing the info from the pages.

A "RIG" would consist of a low-power CPU/MOBO combo, 4GB of cheap ram, a USB boot-disk, a 600W PSU... Possibly linux, not windows.

Nice try... But you are not dealing with people here with money to waste on crap they don't need.

BTW 2GH/s... Show me it running at that speed. And show it to me on a kill-o-watt meter, then subtract the cost of electricity, and that 2GH/s (if it even gets that high), is effectively a 400MH/s machine, after electric expenses.

And you are not running this machine why? At a bitcoin estimated income of $391 a month... You would have made your money back in a year. Oh yea, you just purchased it to sell... That is believable...
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:02:03 AM

With "no sales" on a "new member" account... I seriously hope you have some realistic form of alternate sales-pitch...

From my perspective, (someone who buys/sells a LOT off e-bay), I can honestly say you and your advertisement look as fake and uninformed as can be.

RAM, SSD, CPU, CASE...

Funny that all you mention in the list comes to well over $6000 in hardware, yet, amazingly, you are selling it for a modest half-price... and can't even afford an actual photo of the actual rig being sold.

Great, you know how to google a gaming-rig and mark it down after stealing the info from the pages.

A "RIG" would consist of a low-power CPU/MOBO combo, 4GB of cheap ram, a USB boot-disk, a 600W PSU... Possibly linux, not windows.

Nice try... But you are not dealing with people here with money to waste on crap they don't need.

BTW 2GH/s... Show me it running at that speed. And show it to me on a kill-o-watt meter, then subtract the cost of electricity, and that 2GH/s (if it even gets that high), is effectively a 400MH/s machine, after electric expenses.

And you are not running this machine why? At a bitcoin estimated income of $391 a month... You would have made your money back in a year. Oh yea, you just purchased it to sell... That is believable...
For somebody that "buys and sells alot" you surely don't know anything.  Go to newegg, and look up every single one of those components, i bet you that it comes out under 2000. And this is no where near a gaming rig. Tell me what gaming rig uses a celeron processor? The MOBO is expensive because it has to have four PCIE slots, that are wide enough to hold three of the 7970's, with plenty of room left for the front panel headers. And, as far as my E-Bay account goes, this is my first sale on E-Bay. I have built many computers, but have never actually sold any. After doing much research, i decided to try it out. So, before you actually think that you are the "bomb" realize what you are posting, and maybe do a bit of research next time. Look up the hashing rate of three 7970's, even WITHOUT overclocking, and you will get 2GH/s easy. Also, with my gold rated power-supply, "that are 88% efficient btw" i would be using conciderably less power than you are implying. As far as linux goes, what percentage of the community understands any sort of linux? why would I sell anything that a consumer would not want to buy? Please, let me know.
503guy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 06:58:46 PM by 503guy

Time-Frame: This computer should be build and assembled in an extremely fast manner. However, please note that since these graphics cards are in extremely high demand, that I might have some issues obtaining them. That would be the only delay

So you're selling something that hasn't even been built yet?

I'm also thinking that 3 7970 will have some heat issues without risers in that case.  Generally closed cases are a bad idea.

7970s generally run at about 300w per card, plus mobo/cpu over head of 100w puts you at 1000w, which is 83% of your PSU -- doesn't matter how efficient it is.

I get about 620mh/s with no overclock per card, you are looking at about 1800mh/s for this build.  But, it's still going to overheat.

1800mh/s
1000w draw

WordSurfer

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:53:32 PM

Never buy from an eBay vendor with 0 feedback.
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:42:18 PM

Time-Frame: This computer should be build and assembled in an extremely fast manner. However, please note that since these graphics cards are in extremely high demand, that I might have some issues obtaining them. That would be the only delay

So you're selling something that hasn't even been built yet?

I'm also thinking that 3 7970 will have some heat issues without risers in that case.  Generally closed cases are a bad idea.

7970s generally run at about 300w per card, plus mobo/cpu over head of 100w puts you at 1000w, which is 83% of your PSU -- doesn't matter how efficient it is.

I get about 620mh/s with no overclock per card, you are looking at about 1800mh/s for this build.  But, it's still going to overheat.

1800mh/s
1000w draw
well noted, i knew that head would be a bit of a problem, since two of the cards are rather close together on that MOBO. But, i still think that I could push it to about 2GH/s with not too much of a problem...
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Never buy from an eBay vendor with 0 feedback.
I also knew that this would be a problem, but I have no idea on how to get around that. Should I just start by selling much smaller rigs, that way people are a bit less hesitant? Because I know that 3K is a lot of money...
an1m0s1ty

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:52:19 PM

it would appear that it's wildly out-performed by standard ASIC's...

I'd probably be more likely to give my money to BFL
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

it would appear that it's wildly out-performed by standard ASIC's...

I'd probably be more likely to give my money to BFL
Of course it is outperformed by ASIC's. However, with BFL, you end up getting your rig like 6-7 months from now. If bitcoin were to ever crash or something were to happen, then it is a waste of money. however, at least with this rig, you can mine any sort of crypto-currency that were to come out
nave
Donator

Activity: 162

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:17:15 PM

Pretty much this. That case is tiny, and beyond that the cards you've chosen don't expel the hot air out of the case, but just circulate inside the case. Seeing as how you haven't built this, and just compiled the parts I can see how it would be easily overlooked. But I can guarantee that you will have serious overheating problems with those cards. If anything I'd switch to reference designed cards, so at the very least a majority of the hot air will be pushed out by the card fans. Even then I wouldn't expect to be able to overclock much and maintain safe temps.
cojo244 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:30:52 PM

Pretty much this. That case is tiny, and beyond that the cards you've chosen don't expel the hot air out of the case, but just circulate inside the case. Seeing as how you haven't built this, and just compiled the parts I can see how it would be easily overlooked. But I can guarantee that you will have serious overheating problems with those cards. If anything I'd switch to reference designed cards, so at the very least a majority of the hot air will be pushed out by the card fans. Even then I wouldn't expect to be able to overclock much and maintain safe temps.
Okay, thanks for the input, ill look into that. I was talking to one of my friends on this forum, and he said that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, except for with the middle card, since it will be pulling in the exhaust from the far card. I will also be adding an extra fan to that case, in increase air-flow as well... Do you agree?
503guy

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:46:13 PM

Okay, thanks for the input, ill look into that. I was talking to one of my friends on this forum, and he said that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, except for with the middle card, since it will be pulling in the exhaust from the far card. I will also be adding an extra fan to that case, in increase air-flow as well... Do you agree?

I foresee the card temps to be about 90c+ inside that case, a fan won't help much.  They need open air and plenty of space between cards.  No one runs a mining rig 24/7 with a closed case (or any case for that matter).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: