Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:56:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make sure your machine isn't software key logged ?  (Read 3012 times)
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:00:38 AM

Back up your files reinstall OS from a boot-up CD. Thats the only real way of making sure.

I thought we had to take off and nuke the whole site from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:27:48 AM

Back up your files reinstall OS from a boot-up CD. Thats the only real way of making sure.

I thought we had to take off and nuke the whole site from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure.
Don't troll. AVs are a joke and if you've got a lot of money in bitcoin wallets its not worth risking it on your own ability to identify keyloggers. Could be a rootkit for all you know in which case you're really screwed.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:57:51 AM

Considering how valuable are these digital goods, there would be no problem in investing time and money in developing some very nasty 0 ring rootkits.
Even if you scan with an AV a harddrive as slave or from a bootable disk, it still doesn't ensure the cleanness of a drive if it wasn't on a sterile environment... ESPECIALLY if it is running Windows.

Considering the AmiBIOS source leak, accessing ring 0 would be trivial, and a BIOS Rootkit would be impossible to be cleaned up by an AV.
I would normally not worry that much, but with bitcoins a certain level of paranoia is expected.

There is no need of worrying as long as you follow very simple rules:
Ideal:
1) Nuke everything and start from zero.
2) Make a new partition and install Linux
3) Never use root
4) Use that partition only for Bitcoins and never use it for leisure browse anything.

If you are using Windows 7 (if you are still using previous version, you better kill yourself):
2) Create a user with user privileges.
3) Use sandboxie for browsing, even with Chrome. Thinking of it... better sandbox everything. Sandboxie is your internet condom. Cherish it, learn to love it.
4) Use Kaspersky Antivirus. Better something than nothing.
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:19:03 AM

Considering how valuable are these digital goods, there would be no problem in investing time and money in developing some very nasty 0 ring rootkits.
Even if you scan with an AV a harddrive as slave or from a bootable disk, it still doesn't ensure the cleanness of a drive if it wasn't on a sterile environment... ESPECIALLY if it is running Windows.

Considering the AmiBIOS source leak, accessing ring 0 would be trivial, and a BIOS Rootkit would be impossible to be cleaned up by an AV.
I would normally not worry that much, but with bitcoins a certain level of paranoia is expected.

Ideal:
3) Never use root
4) Use that partition only for Bitcoins and never use it for leisure browse anything.

If you are using Windows 7 (if you are still using previous version, you better kill yourself):
3) Use sandboxie for browsing, even with Chrome. Thinking of it... better sandbox everything. Sandboxie is your internet condom. Cherish it, learn to love it.

Dude, windows XP is super legit. You can get full source now. XP > Lunix.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:11:46 AM

Ideal:
3) Never use root

Dude, windows XP is super legit. You can get full source now. XP > Lunix.
Either that is a joke or you are a joke.
Kaiji

Activity: 140

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 03:57:57 PM

Can your computer become infected with a keylogger just by clicking on a compromised website link?
w00t

Activity: 188
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:15:59 PM

Can your computer become infected with a keylogger just by clicking on a compromised website link?

Theoretically yes.

First PC game is using Bitcoin as the currency: Fallout 2
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Kaiji

Activity: 140

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:36:05 PM

Theoretically yes.

So does that mean it could be done but hackers don't usually use that method?
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:53:25 PM

Theoretically yes.

No. It isn't just theoretically, but very practically exploited that way.
It is heavily exploited in pass-by exploits.
Either with Adobe PDF vulnerabilities, Flash, and especially Java.
w00t

Activity: 188
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 04:59:46 PM

Theoretically yes.

Yes if you have any of those above enabled. I though more of vulnerability in the browser itself.

First PC game is using Bitcoin as the currency: Fallout 2
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
CRkfx1

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 05:11:24 PM

How do I ensure that my machine does not have a software key logger ? I.e. that a software key logger isn't already on my machine ?

Like others have stated, you can never be absolutely sure you're not infected, unless you're using cold storage and the container has a physical lock and is under constant trusted surveillance, even then it's not truly secure.

In the meantime, I'd recommend using an offline password manager such as http://keepass.info/.
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:39:02 PM

Theoretically yes.

Yes if you have any of those above enabled. I though more of vulnerability in the browser itself.

Which are also exploited with 0day exploits, even for Chrome.
There is nothing theoretical about that.
If you want to browse securely use Sandboxie, that's your internet condom.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:55:43 PM

What about using it in a virtual environment? It is a secure sterile environment with controllable variables, I've read up on it since I have a lot of dangerous programs on my computer, to test them they have to be run in a Virtual Environment for security and monitoring purposes, it could work for the Bitcoin wallet as well.

Does anyone know any drawbacks to this method? because if they are using a hardware Keylogger or maybe it's one of those keyloggers that uses the tilt sensor to decipher keys pressed on a smart phone, it is not going to be very effective.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:26:01 PM

What about using it in a virtual environment? It is a secure sterile environment with controllable variables, I've read up on it since I have a lot of dangerous programs on my computer, to test them they have to be run in a Virtual Environment for security and monitoring purposes, it could work for the Bitcoin wallet as well.

Does anyone know any drawbacks to this method? because if they are using a hardware Keylogger or maybe it's one of those keyloggers that uses the tilt sensor to decipher keys pressed on a smart phone, it is not going to be very effective.

I would propose the inverse, use the virtual environment for browsing and anything network related.
In the real operating system use the client with USER privileges, either you use Windows or Linux.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: