Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ISP throttling during mining process?  (Read 3580 times)
biiiiigsexy (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:42:33 PM

Hey all. I'm new to mining and started mining Feathercoins a few weeks ago. Every time I mine for about 5 hours, my internet connection slows down and occasionally lose internet connection completely and for a few hours. Never had internet issues before and only happens while mining. My ISP is Comcast Xfinity 50 Mbps down/ 10 Mbps up. My hash rate is usually about 30 to 50 and plan to upgrade in the future after I resolve this issue. Thanks guys Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Protagonus

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:50:49 PM

+10
I have the same issue with the same provider; go figure.  I know any ISP in the US "Can" throttle a connection if they deem the person a high rate user.  There are no set amounts when this would kick in.  I know Comcrap sent a email about this a couple years ago; stating if you were in their top 10%, you would be throttled.

Myself, I've had this playing online games a lot and such.  If I played regularly; they would slow and then cut my net off.  Sometimes I had to wait 1hr until they decided to turn my service back on.

Now, with mining specifically; They have not fully shut me off, however my speed will slow daily.  It kinda sucks, but hey; it's all about the monopolies now. Couldn't get another ISP even though I DO want to. Doh!
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:08:47 PM

I don't know jack didly squat about alt coins.

But I use Comcast as well and I mine Bitcoins and have never had an issue.  Bitcoin mining doesn't use very much bandwidth so it should never trigger a bandwidth limitation on a cable modem.  My bitcoin-qt on the other hand can use allot of bandwidth consistently but still less than 2Mb.

I watch almost all of my TV through Hulu and Netflix on my Roku player and I have never been throttled.  Now sometimes on Friday or Saturday nights my quality will go down but I'm sure that it is more of a case of a larger number of customers all using the bandwidth at the same time and Comcast can't keep up.  Even this is pretty rare, but irritating when it happens.  Who wants to watch a high def movie at sub TV resolutions?

Also I doubt that playing games online use that much bandwidth to where you would get throttled?  You could be right and I could be wrong of course.

I would lean toward the more common problem with consumer routers which is buffer bloat.  If your router buffer's too many packets in its large amount of RAM than it can take too long to service the buffer which can make it seem like your bandwidth is slowing when it really may not.

Most routers can be set to limit upload and download bandwidths so if you set these limits to just under your actual rate than it will need to buffer fewer packets.

Your problem could also be packet latency.

Just a couple thoughts,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
biiiiigsexy (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 10:21:59 PM

Thanks Sam. I'll look into this. In this house, we have 10+ devices running thru this one router (SMCD3GNV). We do watch a lot of HD shows and one business PC that is constantly connected to a local hospital using VPN and downtime is something to avoid.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

Thanks Sam. I'll look into this. In this house, we have 10+ devices running thru this one router (SMCD3GNV). We do watch a lot of HD shows and one business PC that is constantly connected to a local hospital using VPN and downtime is something to avoid.

Ah, the VPN can/will consume and allot of bandwidth and packet's.  Wireshark your WAN side connection and see what the VPN traffic looks like.  It will probably show up as GRE packets.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: