Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:23:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are You a Bitcoin Believer?
Yes, Bitcoin is the future - 57 (80.3%)
No, I'm just here while it's hot - 12 (16.9%)
It's a Ponzi scheme! - 2 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: Believer, or not  (Read 2388 times)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 12:51:15 AM

I'm a believer, but the number of people actively trying to turn Bitcoin into a ponzi scheme is starting to wear on me.

How are they doing that??
I think he means the pump-and-dump attempts.

Specifically, I mean those trying to push up the price via regulation.  It can only end badly.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArbitrageX

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 01:05:21 AM

I see the value going to $0.00.

XRP will overtake.  Is this not obvious?  Do people really like waiting 10 minutes for a transaction?
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 01:12:46 AM

Specifically, I mean those trying to push up the price via regulation.  It can only end badly.

Trying to push the price up via regulation?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:06:18 AM

XRP will overtake.  Is this not obvious?  Do people really like waiting 10 minutes for a transaction?

You do know XRP is not actually money, is not suppose to be worth anything, and is just placeholders for IOUs, right? I hope you didn't sell all your bitcoins to "invest" in XRP  Undecided
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:18:07 AM

You do know XRP is not actually money, is not suppose to be worth anything, and is just placeholders for IOUs, right? I hope you didn't sell all your bitcoins to "invest" in XRP  Undecided
In other words, it's just like FRNs?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:24:41 AM

In other words, it's just like FRNs?

FRN is supposed to be money that's supposed to hold value at least. XRP can be made worthless at any time due to the company behind Ripple holding billions of them and just giving them out for free (I got 20,000 just yesterday)
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:12:53 AM

Yes.  I'm surprised you don't recognize this.  The US currency (the global reserve currency) is a centralized, money-printing extortion racket.  Bitcoin only has value in terms of this racket if it can be controlled, and if it can be used to control others.

The neckbeard morons at the Bitcoin Foundation and the shady venture capitalists controlling it have spent the last year trying to fit Bitcoin into this system, in the hopes that they can cash out once Bitcoin is totally controlled and the price in USD skyrockets.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 05:18:25 AM

Yes.  I'm surprised you don't recognize this.  The US currency (the global reserve currency) is a centralized, money-printing extortion racket.  Bitcoin only has value in terms of this racket if it can be controlled, and if it can be used to control others.

The neckbeard morons at the Bitcoin Foundation and the shady venture capitalists controlling it have spent the last year trying to fit Bitcoin into this system, in the hopes that they can cash out once Bitcoin is totally controlled and the price in USD skyrockets.
Ah. Well, I've not really followed the bitcoin foundation much. I tend to ignore anyone who presumes to think he can tell me what I can and cannot do with my property.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:51:17 PM

Controlling it how? Are they running a mining pool?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:06:23 AM

No.  They are the Illuminati.

Set against us.

The Inebriati.
Snowfire

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:37:29 AM

Do the Inebriati drink single malt, or cheap rotgut?

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:48:25 AM

Do the Inebriati drink single malt, or cheap rotgut?

Many feel the calling, but few are chosen.

After Initiation into the Inner Sanctum, when one feels the spirits come over him, then forth they proceed with only the finest VSOP Cognacs.

Thus shall ye be guided by the Spirits.
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

ancap

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:24:08 PM

Unless BTC exchanges remove any fiat money from trades, controlling (manipulating) BTC prices will be so easy for the big (bad) guys. So, they don't need a mining pool at all.

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:01:42 PM

Unless BTC exchanges remove any fiat money from trades, controlling (manipulating) BTC prices will be so easy for the big (bad) guys. So, they don't need a mining pool at all.

By "controlling" I guess you mean "buying and selling on the open market?" That method of manipulating prices doesn't really work, since it results in selling your stash to others on the market, who will just take your thrown away money and keep it.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:08:21 PM

By "controlling" I guess you mean "buying and selling on the open market?" That method of manipulating prices doesn't really work, since it results in selling your stash to others on the market, who will just take your thrown away money and keep it.
I suppose option 2 for "controlling" a market valued in fiat is to inflate and deflate your currency, so as to manipulate the price, as valued in that fiat. Seems a bit excessive, though.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 06:00:25 PM

Shh!  You're interfering with our ability to blame boogeymen!

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 08:53:14 PM

But... but... but... market efficiency  Cry
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 07:23:50 PM

But... but... but... market efficiency  Cry

Is why Inebriati always win.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:18:05 AM

Cryptocurrencies are the future!

I'd be more than happy with Bitcoin being the ONE though. But that seems some what unlikely.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 02:37:23 AM

Where's the 'I believe in Bitcoin but I think it's probably going to be superseded by something better' option?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: