Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:37:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intentions of BFL shipping to Coding in my sleep  (Read 524 times)
Multifarious (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 06:40:46 PM

First of all, I have no stake in BFL or any other ASIC provider - my interest in this is only as someone who has lurked without registering for a couple of months.

Even as a relatively green member, I have already seen the boom & bust anticipation cycle for BFL a couple of times on the forum. To my eyes, it seems obvious that the intent of shipping a demo unit to a well-known bitcoin personage is merely to pump the excitement level another time in order to juice pre-orders.

Think about it: if BFL's intent was to reassure the people who have already pre-ordered, they would actually send a batch to the first X customers on their list. Nothing more than that is going to satisfy people who have waited 10 months to see their product. However, if their intent is to pull in more money from those who are still looking to drop some money on an ASIC - they would orchestrate something like the 'Coding in my Sleep' video.

My suggestion to anyone who has seen this video and considered making another pre-order: be cautious. Publicity does not equal productivity.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mica402

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:56:11 PM

Moot point imo.  Whether they're satisfying a marketing angle or current customers, the fact is they have working units.  Just if you're going to pre-order know that it still could be months.
eikes

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:12:03 PM

Well they DO have a working product, which a lot of people have been questioning, so they are not a complete scam. On the other hand, ordering now may get you an asic miner in another 10 month...
nightengale

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:49:07 AM

I've thought about this angle as well. But as more developers and reviewers post videos the argument for the existence of BFL ASICs becomes more compelling. By posting videos, these people are staking their reputations on the the line. If I were a developer, it would take one hell of a bribe to get me to lie about a product that didn't exist. After Luke Dashjr posted his video at the beginning of April, I threw my hat into the ring and placed a preorder (and luckily got in before the price change). Now that the guy from Coding in My Sleep has posted a video as well, like I said, it would take one heck of a conspiracy and payoff to get all of these people in on the shenanigans.

Just my 2 cents.
Joshster

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:51:36 AM

I don't think BFL is a scam, I think they are just having some issues with getting it all ready. They did ship their old units out, would you rather a semi broken unit arrive on time and break and having to ship it back or a fully working unit. I know what I would rather, only reason I don't order one is because shipping is like 100 USD and I am too late in the line.
kidcudi09

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

God

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:02:10 AM

lol I think you are right.I honestly think they are a scam.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: