Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:42:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we really need special motherboard?  (Read 2593 times)
uray

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 03:35:56 PM

yes we need special mining motherboard the spec are
  • 1. very very cheap
  • 2. very low power
  • 3. huge number of pcie slot, we don't actually need x16 slots but 8x 1x slots are better
  • 4. has onboard low power gpu, just for monitoring without distrupting gpu's for mining
to make it cheap and low power, remove integrated audio, remove extensive usb support, just need 2 USB for keyboard and mouse, remove extensive multiple sata port, just need single sata or MMC slot, we can use low power and cheap cpu such as intel atom

we are currently limited to 8x GPU per motherboard because of driver limitation and windows limitation ( on linux you can recompile the kernel to support more than 8 gpu ), if drivers support more than 8 gpu, we can use PCIe Switch chip such as Pericom P17C9X2G808PR which can split one pcie 1x to 7x pcie 1x
so with 7 slot pcie motherboard we can have up to 42 GPU's per motherboard

https://www.diodes.com/assets/Databriefs/PI7C9X2G808PR-Prod-Brief.pdf

maybe board like this

this board will only need single x16 pcie slot
connected to 16x pcie switch chip Pericom PI7C9X2G404SL, each chip will consume single pcie lane, but can support up to 3 GPU per single lane, so we can have 16x3 = 48 GPU, PI7C9X2G404SL is cheap its only about 10-15$ per chip

so the spec are
  • 48 slot x1 pcie through single x16 pcie lane
  • 12v dc powered, you can use brick 12v power adaptor like the one is used on laptop
  • onboard vga throught vga or hdmi port
  • 2x mini pcie for msata-ssd and wifi card (optional)
  • one 100mbps RJ45 port
  • intel celeron or atom cpu built in
  • 2x USB 2.0 port
  • 16GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory]
after mass production board should cost around 80$-100$ per board (including CPU and memory)
anyone interested to support this in kickstarter?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 04:33:28 PM

yes!  you can build a unstable system with 6+ cards if you have no idea what you are doing

What are the major (top 3?) reasons multi-card rigs are unstable, in your opinion?  Under-sized PSU?  Cheap USB risers?  I think these are the reasons my build have been unstable and lock up after 4 or 5 minutes.

Unstable?...12 GPUs at 82 hours + Wink  (btw ignore the horrible eth hashrates...i just switched this rig over to eth and have been busy testing my prototype board so they still have ZEC bioses on them)

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 04:38:50 PM

yes!  you can build a unstable system with 6+ cards if you have no idea what you are doing

What are the major (top 3?) reasons multi-card rigs are unstable, in your opinion?  Under-sized PSU?  Cheap USB risers?  I think these are the reasons my build have been unstable and lock up after 4 or 5 minutes.

Unstable?...12 GPUs at 82 hours + Wink  (btw ignore the horrible eth hashrates...i just switched this rig over to eth and have been busy testing my prototype board so they still have ZEC bioses on them)

I don't doubt that your rig is stable.  How does a novice like me harden my implementation? I'm asking for advice
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2095
Merit: 1396

View Profile
March 16, 2017, 05:06:49 PM

I don't doubt that your rig is stable.  How does a novice like me harden my implementation? I'm asking for advice

Unfortunately what I have found out GPU mining all these years is that most of it is not even your fault, and not much you can do about it. Thats the reason I started this whole project. The cheap Chinese GPU risers you and most people are using are inherently unstable, and are a major contributing factor in why GPUs "freeze" (the other reason being too aggressive BIOS mods/clocks/voltages).

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: