Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:51:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenebrix  (Read 3084 times)
markm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 07:30:28 AM

I have found that you do not need to use the ancient multicoin-based version of Tenebrix, this more recent version works:

https://github.com/Lolcust/Tenebrix-QT

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:49:12 AM

It's dead.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
NoProb1ems

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:55:12 AM

It's dead.

What is it? Is that "TRC" ?
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:55:49 AM

It's Tenebrix, really really old project with huge premine I think

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 07:56:56 AM

Dead? Not at all, it is simply another of the nice quiet under-the-radar coins that people can mine with CPUs without all the bullies with GPUs and such driving the difficulty out of reach of CPU miners.

It is great when the big miners think a coin is dead, as it puts it back into the reach of small miners so the whole early adopter phase can continue, in some cases maybe even for years.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:33:54 AM

It's dead, period. Unless you can name one service or exchange that accepts TBX.

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 08:45:55 AM

Once an exchange accepts a coin, it gets jumped on and dumped by big miners, and becomes too high difficulty for small miners and CPU miners. So basically an exchange is the end of the early-adopter phase and time for the small miners to go look for some other coin that the large miners still think of as "dead".

Admittedly though maybe using an Open Transactions based exchange could help with this, as GRouPcoin despite being traded on Open Transactions for well over a year now maybe going on two years has nonetheless managed to stay largely "under the radar". Put up a web based exchange for it though and most players (olr the games whose players are most of the user-base currently) will no longer be able to mine them effectively.

-MarkM-

Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:55:42 AM

And my second argument about services?

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 09:09:22 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2013, 09:25:46 AM by markm

Well in the case of coins used by players of games, you can regard them as one service "you can use them in the game" or as a vast array of services "you can buy anything any player is willing to sell you".

Also of course depending on the scale of play in which you take part you could use the various coins for various hosting-related costs such as paying for hosting of OpenSimulator "regions" representing parts of your in-game holdings, or paying your nation's hosting fees that are based on the amount of territory your nation controls, or paying for special servers your clan or nation uses such as Cyclos servers for your own custom national or clan currency or private Tor or i2p based forums chatrooms or whatever for your clan, all that kind of stuff.

It seems to be fashionable here to ignore all the currencies that started as blockchains but lacked enough miner-interest to afford to stay as blockchains until some day when their transaction volume will permit transaction fees sufficient to attract miners, or until some day when the infrastructure of the games includes lots of ASIC farms, but the figures are quite surprising, see the tables and plots at

http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

-MarkM-

wmikrut

Activity: 631
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:11:50 PM

I am still getting connections and I am downloading the blockchain now..   Cheesy
I am working with the headless version of the program on Ubuntu.

Will compile the QT later.

I will NEVER ask for any kind of funds up front in a buy/sale of anything on bitcointalk.

BM-2cTFihJKmSwusMAoYuUHPvpx56Jozv64KK
ondratra

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:10:12 AM

Maybe such dead coins can be ressurected to the mainstream if we - as community - will think out the right purpose for them first. Maybe they will die again by pump + dump attack as new altcoins, but it can learn us new usage of coin.

Most new alt coins are made just for quick pump + dump so all service they have seen so far (and maybe forever) is usually exchange, forum and gambling site - so nothing gaining them any real value. By "value" i mean purpose.
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 05:37:51 AM

The GUI? I admit I haven't even considered trying to compile the GUI, I always use daemons.

Or is it the daemon that is crashing? I haven't had it crash yet in quite a while now of using it.

What operating system and distro etc?

What debug.log and /var/log/messages (or your system's equivalent) clues?

-MarkM-

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 06:06:20 PM

Oh yeah that happened with DeVCoin too though we thought it was to do with the curl stuff DeVCoin used to go out and get its lists of who to give coins to. Dunno what Tenebrix would have needed that would not be thread-safe and that other coins don't use though.

For DeVCoin we just use the daemon for mining, people who need GUIs probably aren't the geeky techie types likely to get into setting up p2pool to merged mine for them or stuff like that so for DeVCoin the GUI not being able to mine isn't much (if any) of an issue.

-MarkM-

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 04:55:50 AM

Oh well, once Litecoin updates to latest bitcoin code Tenebrix can use that to jump right to latest code.

-MarkM-

jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:04:17 AM

Tenebrix was one of the early cpu coins, had been dormant for a long time together with fairbrix.

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 05:05:53 AM

Tenebrix was one of the early cpu coins, had been dormant for a long time together with fairbrix.

Were either of them ever really totally unmined though? Any time i checked there were always nodes online and the block count had moved. maybe I just did not happen to catch any of the moments when none were online at all?

People thought the same about BBQcoin, so that last year CPU miners had lovely long long time of mining BBQcoin too not just Tenebrix and Fairbrix. Likely the reason BBQcoin came back into the limelight before them was it was using newer code, whereas miners were content not to be in any rush to update the code of the others?

These coins the big miners keep claiming to be "dead" are perfect for small miners. Playing dead has so far seemed to be the most effective way of providing coins only small miners bother to mine.

-MarkM-

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 05:32:59 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 06:49:08 AM by markm

Oh well, once Litecoin updates to latest bitcoin code Tenebrix can use that to jump right to latest code.

-MarkM-

Litecoin IS updated to the latest Bitcoin code.

Oh cool, i didn't know they had finished that.

Great then, any clonecoin hack can easily update Tenebrix and Fairbrix too any time they want, I wonder how many they have racked up so far using a spare CPU core or few the last few months or years?

-MarkM-

illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:56:29 AM

good old tenebrix.  i like it because it doesn't have "coin" in its name.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 06:58:33 AM

Yeah, use the daemon.

As I said this happened with DeVCoin too, we just disabled the gen=1 commands so people cannot turn on mining in the devcoin-qt since we (Unthinkingbit and I) didn't manage to track down what exactly it was that was doing it, other than it looked like some things we needed for doing what devcoin needs to do were not thread-safe, at least, it seems, not in the GUI.

We needed to use curl, or something anyway that would go out and get our lists of recipients for minted coins, so if not being able to mine with the -qt client was fallout from that too bad, its more important to do that key function of devcoin and anyone who does want to mine can use the daemon, which in any case probably uses less resources on the server and allows the server to be headless so for miners it is in any case generally better / more-appropriate anyway.

Since i do not know what you hacked, nor even whether what you have now works fine in Linux, and I do not do windows, I'd just go with "you have to use the daemon to mine" or "install linux in a virtual machine"...

Not very helpful but first thing I do when i buy a box with windows on it is defenestrate it (throw out windows) and that has over the decades proven to be a massive massive massive reducter of stress over long term and short term.

Still, even if it breaks on Linux too, I'd wonder whether whatever it is that needs to use things that are not thread-safe is an importan enough feature of your design that it is worth throwing out GUI-mining to include it, or maybe if GUI-mining is so important to you you could reconsider whether whatever feature you are adding is worth the time it might take to track down some thread problem that only occurs in the GUI not in the actual daemon.

-MarkM-

EDIT: I maybe getting confused though, I just realised this thread is about Tenebrix, yet earlier discussion about hacking a coin resulting in mining crashing in the GUI had been about creating some new coin. Maybe there are two threads currently about this same problem, maybe someone ran into it making a GUI for Tenebrix in addition to someone also recently running into it trying to make some unspecified new coin by hacking some other coin...

markm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 07:51:27 AM

Where is the mining program running? Is it connecting to 127.0.0.0 aka localhost? If not maybe firewall isn't letting it connect, or its IP address is not on the rcpallowip list, yet for some reason its claiming internal sever error (500) instead of unable to connect?

Or does 500 mean it must have connected and the RPC server itself is telling it that it got an internal server error (500) ?

What error does it give when username or password for RPC is incorrect?

-MarkM-

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: