Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:21:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cgminer hang after adding another card? wtf!  (Read 2054 times)
ZeikHunter (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 03:29:47 AM

Been mining on a 5970 for a while, then I remembered I've got a 5850!

Set it all up, now cgminer hangs at startup. no options I've tried have gotten it to start with anything other than "Started cgminer 2.11.4" and no other info.

How can I get back to mining?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Darkyn

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:26:51 PM

Wish I was replying with a solution. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem but mine is with a 7970 and a 5970. I had the 7970 for quite a while before adding the 5970. Weird thing is, it worked fine for almost a week. Then I had to reboot for something and I get the exact same thing as you now.

Anyhow, I'll be trying a few things today, starting with pulling out the 5970 so we'll see. By the way, I did notice that if I try to uninstall the 5970 adapter from Device Manager, everything freezes completely so I'm not sure if it's related yet but I'm guessing it is. I'm using Catalyst 13.1.

D.
Zeal0t

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

To the moon?

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 12:29:26 PM

This is a little off topic and let me apologize in advance for not providing any solution either. My reason for posting is: Can you really set up different GPU's in crossfire?

I vow never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling, spam, or to beg for handouts.
Darkyn

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:58:06 PM

No worries...every thought and question helps Smiley

From what I've read, you can't use Crossfire. I'm now going to attempt to rip the second card out. Oh, one other note...I also tried running cgminer with --verbose and --debug together and don't receive any output at all so that's a little frustrating. It's almost like it's hanging before it actually even does anything which is odd.
Zeal0t

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

To the moon?

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 01:00:12 PM

No worries...every thought and question helps Smiley

From what I've read, you can't use Crossfire. I'm now going to attempt to rip the second card out. Oh, one other note...I also tried running cgminer with --verbose and --debug together and don't receive any output at all so that's a little frustrating. It's almost like it's hanging before it actually even does anything which is odd.

It's funny you say that, I don't use cgminer because it simply does that exact thing every time. Enter login credentials -> Hang.

I vow never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling, spam, or to beg for handouts.
kimosan

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:08:02 PM

The problem could be with your motherboard. Have you read the manual and made sure you're able to use the slot the added card is in? Are you using the crossfire bridge? If you're using the bridge I believe you need to disable it in catalyst. Worth a try.

What about the cgminer settings. Are you loading the same settings for both cards? Maybe try changing things around for the new card consistent with what other people are using at the hardware list.

wolf1

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:08:36 PM

for mining don't use crossfire! it is for gaming and you could connect cards within the same series (however, the best are two identical cards)
are you using win or linux? i was not able to run 7770+7850 on linux, on win 7 running fine
check if cards are visible in device manager (or catalyst center)
try cgminer only with pool parameters and intensity around 13-14, than maybe add threadconcurrency an so on ...
also use --gpu-reorder to sort cards based on pci-e bus position, than you could set separate parameters using comma (e.g. -I 13,17)
also the first start is bit longer, cgminer must compile some binaries, you could see it afterwards in your dir
Darkyn

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:23:29 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2013, 03:24:08 AM by Darkyn

So I removed the 5970 and as expected, the 7970 runs perfectly fine alone. Plug it back in and bam...dead. BTW, I had been running with both cards (1.2Gh/s) until last week when this problem started. The troubleshooting continues...

I'm actually at the point now where I've downloaded the source code and am considering debugging the damn thing myself lol

Update:

OK so I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but here goes. I was doing a little tweaking and I guess I somehow managed to delete the poclbm.cl file inside the cgminer folder. That file is of course the poclbm kernel. Suffice it to say that CGMiner doesn't like it when you delete the kernels Wink

Anyhow I also rolled back to Catalyst 12.8 which is what allowed me to even discover my little blunder.

Happy Mining! (and don't delete your kernels)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: