Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:34:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591623 times)
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:43:35 PM

Answers like this make most people cut down their coins by 0.001 and risk it. This a community that people are supposed to help one another, and not make it hard for people to find the answers to things. Tongue

Dude.  Answers like what?  I'm trying to help you, seriously. I would hardly call using the search button "hard", it's there for exactly that reason, to help you find answers to questions amongst 100's of pages.....I use it all the time, in fact, I'd be lost without it - it's how I get all my info & how I learn a whole lot more besides.

But OK, I will refrain from trying to help you from now on. Sorry.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:52:00 PM

Answers like this make most people cut down their coins by 0.001 and risk it. This a community that people are supposed to help one another, and not make it hard for people to find the answers to things. Tongue

Dude.  Answers like what?  I'm trying to help you, seriously. I would hardly call using the search button "hard", it's there for exactly that reason, to help you find answers to questions amongst 100's of pages.....I use it all the time, in fact, I'd be lost without it - it's how I get all my info & how I learn a whole lot more besides.

But OK, I will refrain from trying to help you from now on. Sorry.

OK Smiley
smoothrunnings

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:57:01 PM

I did the git pull on my p2pool then restart my pool and got 13.4-24-gf0eeb48-dirty as the version number. Is this correct or is there something that I am missing?

Thanks,

No, that's not the latest version.  Are you using the standard p2pool code, or someone's fork (like rav3n)?

Hey Jonnyb,

13.4.-24 isn't the latest version. 13.4-52 is the latest version. I wasn't paying attention until tonight when I did a git pull on my p2pool folder and noticed this error:

error: Your local changes to 'p2pool/web.py' would be overwritten by merge.  Aborting.
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.

I looked the error up and it provided two solutions. 1 which I used, git reset --hard, git pull. This updated everything and when I start my P2Pool again the version number jumped up to 13.4-52 Smiley

NOTE: for anyone who does this, BACKUP your WEB-STATIC folder otherwise all your changes will be gonzo, like mine! LOL (live and learn)

The only reason why I decided to update tonight was over the last couple of days new fixes to the p2pool code was added.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 12:16:46 AM

Question for some one cleverer than me:

Will the user who's flooding my node with high DOA's have any affect on my nodes performance or any other users income?

If not, I don't mind leaving it on, but if it's affecting other miners income, I'll have to ban it - but I'd hate to do that.....rather help him/her get it sorted.

Ta  Smiley

As long as your server can handle the load of all the combined miners it should not be an issue.

Have the same problem on Coin Cadence, very high DOA, absolutely kills the node efficiency stats...

... Essentially, you can blame dead shares on your miner configuration and orphan shares on internet latency.

I'm going to look into providing efficiency stats on a per miner basis.

and it's reasons like this why orphan % is much more important to look at than DOA, if you're mining on some p2pool other than your own.

every "guide" i've seen either says to select the lowest latency p2pool or whichever is 'closest' to you.  *boggle*

my lower orphan rate on my germany server more than made up for the near zero DOA I got from running locally.  it's simple to calculate expected DOA %'s based on latency, as long as there is little to no packetloss (should be less than 1%)
smoothrunnings

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 12:22:52 AM

Question for some one cleverer than me:

Will the user who's flooding my node with high DOA's have any affect on my nodes performance or any other users income?

If not, I don't mind leaving it on, but if it's affecting other miners income, I'll have to ban it - but I'd hate to do that.....rather help him/her get it sorted.

Ta  Smiley

As long as your server can handle the load of all the combined miners it should not be an issue.

Have the same problem on Coin Cadence, very high DOA, absolutely kills the node efficiency stats...

... Essentially, you can blame dead shares on your miner configuration and orphan shares on internet latency.

I'm going to look into providing efficiency stats on a per miner basis.

and it's reasons like this why orphan % is much more important to look at than DOA, if you're mining on some p2pool other than your own.

every "guide" i've seen either says to select the lowest latency p2pool or whichever is 'closest' to you.  *boggle*

my lower orphan rate on my germany server more than made up for the near zero DOA I got from running locally.  it's simple to calculate expected DOA %'s based on latency, as long as there is little to no packetloss (should be less than 1%)

Is there anything that can be done to improve the latency slightly, some formula or rule of thumb, on a p2pool miner other than moving it to a colocation on a 10 or 100Mbit/sec connection?

Thanks,
MissouriMiner

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:01:13 AM

Where do I find my P2Pool logs, I am running Linux (OpenSUSE).

thanks,

In the directory where run_p2pool.py is located, then cd to ./data/bitcoin, or ./data/litecoin, etc...   You should see a log file in there.  If you are going to manipulate (edit) the log file, you should make a copy and use the copy.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 05:03:39 PM

If you are mining on P2Pool.org you are paying a 100% fee!

I was afraid this might happen...

After 2 weeks of being pointed to http://minefast.coincadence.com with instructions to switch nodes, and an additional week of being completely offline I restarted the p2pool node at p2pool.org at a 100% fee, there is still over 800GH/s mining there.

On Thursday when we launch the new site it will become apparent why we are running p2pool.org at a 100% fee.

Anyway, if those are your miners and you do not want to contribute 100% of your mining power to p2pool.org, you may want to move them to another node Wink
smoothrunnings

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:29:43 PM

After 2 weeks of being pointed to http://minefast.coincadence.com with instructions to switch nodes, and an additional week of being completely offline I restarted the p2pool node at p2pool.org at a 100% fee, there is still over 800GH/s mining there.

On Thursday when we launch the new site it will become apparent why we are running p2pool.org at a 100% fee.

Anyway, if those are your miners and you do not want to contribute 100% of your mining power to p2pool.org, you may want to move them to another node Wink

huh?
smoothrunnings

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:35:45 PM

P2Pool Latency & Optmization

Q: How do see what my p2pool's latency is and optimize it?

I have seen seen stuff listed under an OLD thread here "called FUD or something" but I guess the real question is how do you know exactly what the latency is?

My Neppy and P2Pool are connected to the same physical network.
smoothrunnings

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:47:49 PM

Sorry and just to clarify, I should be making 0.02x ~ 0.03x bitcoins with my neptune right?
What happens if I start only make 0.007x in bitcoins?

Thanks,
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 01:04:26 AM

huh?

From our site:

We will be launching the new P2Pool.org site on Thursday, September 18th, 2014. The new P2Pool.org WILL NOT include a public mining node. Former P2Pool.org Bitcoin miners MUST update their miner settings by September 8th, instructions below.
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 01:09:49 AM

P2Pool Latency & Optmization

Q: How do see what my p2pool's latency is and optimize it?

I have seen seen stuff listed under an OLD thread here "called FUD or something" but I guess the real question is how do you know exactly what the latency is?

My Neppy and P2Pool are connected to the same physical network.

Primarily when people talk about latency in regards to p2pool they are referring to the time it takes for your miner's data to reach the node you are mining on. From what I've read you are running a local node, and therefore should have very low latency.

Latency can be determined by sending a ping to the p2pool node from where you are mining.

Additionally, latency can refer to the distance (not physical distance, but time on the network distance) between your node and other p2pool nodes it is connected to...

norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 08:27:45 AM

Just a note for those in Australia and on my node. I've now added Matt's relay client to both AU and SG pools and have finished with some tweaking that has caused some instability of late. It should be much more stable going forward.
If you are in Australia I believe my node is the best performing and seems to have the highest hash rate. If you are in Australia come check it out, you can get to it from my sig below.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:57:17 PM

@smoothrunnings, I'll try to answer all of the questions you've asked.  Hopefully I don't miss any.

Latency for your miners is not an issue in your case.  You are running a local node with both the miners and the node on the same physical network.  Latency between your node and others is unknown to me.  You can check it by pinging the nodes to which you are connected.  The latency between your node and others is important because the faster you can propagate your found shares, the better the chance they aren't orphaned.

You can also help ensure you're getting BTC blocks relayed as quickly as possible by using Matt Corallo's relay node.  Check it out here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=766190.0.

Regarding your question about earnings, I've got only one word for you: variance.  Sometimes you're going to be unlucky and not have very many shares on the chain.  Other times you're going to be lucky and have more than you should.  Also, you need to remember.  You are comparing earnings per day to earnings per block.  Online calculators report earnings per day.  As of right now, your 3TH/s expects to earn 0.05058BTC per day.  Your node reports expected payout per miner per block at that particular time.

The simple fact is that p2pool is going to be affected by variance because of its relatively low hash rate compared to the rest of the network.  In addition, you as an individual miner on p2pool are affected by variance because of the nature of finding shares.  It's a double whammy that leads to significant swings in earnings.  I'll give you a concrete example of this.  On 9/10, p2pool found 6 blocks.  I also happened to be on an upswing and had more shares than expected on the chain.  I earned 0.26259819BTC that day (an average of 0.043766365BTC per block).  Way more than what I expected to earn for my hash rate from my 8 S3s.  On the other hand, p2pool found only a single block on 9/12.  That day, I only earned 0.03200959BTC.

Here's another example.  I got a co-worker of mine into BTC and he currently owns an S3.  He's currently mining on my node and hasn't found a share in over 5 days.  He's missed out on 10 blocks so far.  I hear the same thing from him constantly, "What's wrong with my miner?  Why haven't I found a share?  Should I reboot it?  Something must be wrong!  I'm going to switch to another pool."  Then I show him that even with not receiving payments for some blocks, he's still ahead of expected earnings since he's started mining on p2pool.

In short, it's all about the variance.  If swings in luck are too much for you to deal with and you want the comfort of seeing lots of small, regular payments adding up, then p2pool is not for you.  I'd suggest one of the more traditional pools.  Otherwise, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 06:32:51 PM

I'm thinking of switching to P2Pool but don't want to run my own node. I've looked at the node list and some like p2pool.org seem like scams. Can someone suggest a node in the southeast i"m in Charlotte NC? Would be running about 10-15TH depending on how I decide to split it. Thanks
chalbersma

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

I'm thinking of switching to P2Pool but don't want to run my own node. I've looked at the node list and some like p2pool.org seem like scams. Can someone suggest a node in the southeast i"m in Charlotte NC? Would be running about 10-15TH depending on how I decide to split it. Thanks

It's generally seen as best to run your own node. However you can try looking at the list here for one that has good ping times/location to you.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 07:18:43 PM

Windpath has his node in VA.  http://minefast.coincadence.com.  By the way, p2pool.org is not a scam.  Windpath owns that domain now and is turning it into an informational site.  There is still a node there but unless you feel like donating your hashing power you probably don't want to mine there since it is 100% fee Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 08:06:42 PM

Windpath has his node in VA.  http://minefast.coincadence.com.  By the way, p2pool.org is not a scam.  Windpath owns that domain now and is turning it into an informational site.  There is still a node there but unless you feel like donating your hashing power you probably don't want to mine there since it is 100% fee Smiley

So, Windpath's node at minefast is a zero fee node? I pinged it and the times were decent. I see the 100% fee node is also in Ashburn VA same as minefast. And another question, 6 of my machines are Dragons that don't properly execute the stratum protocol. How would I set the difficulty or are they not compatible with P2P?

Thanks

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 08:09:28 PM

Windpath has his node in VA.  http://minefast.coincadence.com.  By the way, p2pool.org is not a scam.  Windpath owns that domain now and is turning it into an informational site.  There is still a node there but unless you feel like donating your hashing power you probably don't want to mine there since it is 100% fee Smiley

So, Windpath's node at minefast is a zero fee node? I pinged it and the times were decent.
Correct.  He doesn't charge fees for mining on minefast.coincadence.com

norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 08:57:12 PM

Coincadence or mdudes pool node

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
Pages: « 1 ... 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: