Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:29:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591613 times)
gigabitfx

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:13:52 PM

Can you share that frontend your using?  Im used to mining on slush's pool so I understand a little about variance.  mdude77 I do indeed have new cgminer for s1.

Im still confused about the data on the homepage and if my data is normal for a newly configured p2pool, or if i need to look further into it.  Here is the stats listed
http://s2.postimg.org/lh6uy5iqx/Capture.jpg

Is the "expected time to share" normal for my node uptime?  Ive seen others that show it down to an hour with similar pool speed as mine.  I suppose most of my confusion is that with slushs pool i see shares coming in from my miners much more frequently than this and of course they state the average btc for current round as well.  I feel im flying more blind with p2pool, especially with 0 as expected payout.  The vanilla p2pool interface showed an expected payout number, even when pool was freshly fired up and went up/down as data came through.

Hi Gigabit,

I'm by no means the expert, still studying the code and learning, but I'll give you my best advice and if I'm wrong, or there is a better solution hopefully someone will jump in...

1. It's constant.
2. Restarting will dump all your peers, and re-start many of the stats. Accepted shares will not be lost during a restart, but will not show on your stats page after, obviously shares submitted during a restart will be lost or stale by the time your node is back up. I try to limit restarts as much as possible.
3. Expected time to share is based on your ~estimated~ hash rate, is subject to your miners luck/variance, and can vary greatly.
4. Once you get some shares in the current block this will change, also subject to variance, some days will be higher and some lower.
5. I don't. There are some good tutorials for getting it up and running efficiently here on the forum, and on some alt-coin forums, but no definitive docs that I have found...

Here is an example of the variance/luck, the bottom 2 miners have both been consistently mining on p2pool, the bottom one is currently in a streak of good luck, while the middle one is in a streak of what I'd call less then ideal luck...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s91/sh/7eb6221c-6c8d-4c28-a312-75f0814db881/4883b9429424359e3b46c058b2aa4f9f/deep/0/p2pool-variance1.png

It all balances out over time, a key to successfully mining on p2pool is having the patience and consistency to stick with it until it does Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 05:15:32 PM

Can you share that frontend your using?  Im used to mining on slush's pool so I understand a little about variance.  mdude77 I do indeed have new cgminer for s1.

Im still confused about the data on the homepage and if my data is normal for a newly configured p2pool, or if i need to look further into it.  Here is the stats listed

Is the "expected time to share" normal for my node uptime?  Ive seen others that show it down to an hour with similar pool speed as mine.  I suppose most of my confusion is that with slushs pool i see shares coming in from my miners much more frequently than this and of course they state the average btc for current round as well.  I feel im flying more blind with p2pool, especially with 0 as expected payout.  The vanilla p2pool interface showed an expected payout number, even when pool was freshly fired up and went up/down as data came through.

I'm actively developing the front end on my site, it's still in beta and requires PHP and a DB to be set up on the node.... It does address some of your concerns about not being able to see shares after a restart... I posted some of the preliminary code in this thread here if you want to check it out.

The expected time to share looks about right to me, here is one of my miners (2x S1), about double your speed, about 1/2 the expected time-to-share:

http://mining.coincadence.com/miner.php?id=13AxQAKFiy6Dks5Jwdbah3rhMJAJ9UzwHk

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 11:12:02 PM

Hi Windpath, thanks for the info here, im running some s1 and was having hard time with google on a definitive response to setting the pseudo share.

couple of questions
1. is 0.00000116 a static constant, or based off dynamic number?  Wondering if i need to redo the math periodically to keep my miners running efficiently.
2. do you know of any downsides to restarting p2pool, i noticed i lost a few shares once i had done so, but technically i dont understand why that would be.  i did however update the -a payout address, perhaps that restages the pool?
3. "expected time to share" seems to stay around 7-12hrs, im assuming its because the pool doesn't have any stats to work off of yet?
4. "payout if a block were found NOW" seems to remain at 0, any tips on that?
5. know of any p2pool advanced docs/manuals out there?

Thanks for any info

Great questions, gigabitfx.  I'd like to add to the information that windpath has already provided:

1) Setting pseudo-share difficulty determines how many shares from your miner that the p2pool node evaluates.  In p2pool, your miners must submit a share of a given difficulty to be considered.  For example, if you set your pseudo-share difficulty to 1, every single share your miner finds will be considered.  It makes the graph look very smooth, but floods the node with useless traffic.  If you set the pseudo-share difficulty to 1024, then only shares that are greater than 1024 will be considered.  The graph looks very spiky, but the node doesn't have to deal with the extraneous traffic.

The p2pool node will assign pseudo-share difficulty automatically based upon the node's combined hash rate.  If you're running your own private node, you really don't need to bother setting either pseudo-share or share difficulty.  If you're mining on someone else's node, then you might want to set them if the hash rate you're contributing is significantly higher/lower than what the node currently has.

2) You won't lose shares if you restart your node.  Your shares are stored in the share chain.  The default behavior of p2pool does not persist your node's shares across restarts (windpath solved this by creating a database); however, rest assured that every share you've found is part of the share chain.

3) Your expected time to share is based upon your hash rate and the current difficulty target.  The formula is exactly the same as the expected time to find a block of BTC:
Code:
Difficulty * 2**32 / hashrate / 86400 = number of days to find a share
It has no bearing on whether the node has been running for a while or have any stats to work with.

4) This is kind of misleading since it isn't well explained.  This value is the expected payout to the NODE's wallet - not to your miner - UNLESS your miner is the same wallet as your node.  So, let's assume you have started your node as:
Code:
./run_p2pool.py -a SOMEWALLETADDRESS
If you configure your miners with the user name "SOMEWALLETADDRESS" then that expected payout if block found now value will show what you expect.  If you configure your miners with the user name "ANOTHERWALLETADDRESS" then that expected payout value will show 0 (unless you charge a fee to mine on your node, in which case it would show whatever charges have been assessed to your miners).

5) I don't know of any advanced manuals.  The best information I've found is here on these forums, the p2pool wiki and through reading the p2pool code.  This thread is a great place to learn, although going through nearly 440 pages is kind of painful Wink

Hope this helps.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
martinbeek

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:52:29 AM

Hello all.

I have been giving p2pool a chance, for over three weeks now and i've seen quite some shares and blocks coming in. The Antminer S1's doing well... Very low latency and DOA node (minehammer.com).

So far so good, but... the rewards are lower than any other pool i've tested so far! See attached image.

I am expecting at least 0.048 for my 800Gh/s.
Highest payout has been 0.041 (once), lowest 0.025

Tried setting pseudo-difficulty higher to 1k for another week with no difference.

Is this what i can expect from p2pool or will get things better over time? I can't imagine i've to be patient for weeks to have pplns to settle...

I'm using 4 x antminer S1 on one wallet address. Also tried splitting up w/o avail.

Thanks for any advice and input!    

Martin Beek.

http://www.provost-intel.nl/tmp/minehammer.jpg
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 01:28:48 PM

What's your orphan rate?

ed:  I just checked, it looks like they reset it just a little bit ago, so can't really tell atm.  It is showing 1 orphan out of 11 shares, if that was the norm, it'd be pretty crap..

read what mr. t says on nogleg.com:9555 ... the only change i'd make is that it's more like 7 interrupts per minute for DOGE.. p2pool *tries* to get a share every 15s, but it's faster than that in practice

i think bitcoin is supposed to be 30s shares, w/ the 10 min blocks (more like 8 minutes nowadays but w/e).  so would maybe call it like 3 interrupts a minute
Polyatomic

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 08:42:08 PM

Hello all.

I have been giving p2pool a chance, for over three weeks now and i've seen quite some shares and blocks coming in. The Antminer S1's doing well... Very low latency and DOA node (minehammer.com).

So far so good, but... the rewards are lower than any other pool i've tested so far! See attached image.

I am expecting at least 0.048 for my 800Gh/s.
Highest payout has been 0.041 (once), lowest 0.025

Tried setting pseudo-difficulty higher to 1k for another week with no difference.

Is this what i can expect from p2pool or will get things better over time? I can't imagine i've to be patient for weeks to have pplns to settle...

I'm using 4 x antminer S1 on one wallet address. Also tried splitting up w/o avail.

Thanks for any advice and input!    

Martin Beek.

Keep persisting with it man. 
gigabitfx

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:37:11 PM

Looks like my pool stats did report normally after a couple shares were submitted, and I was also paid the other missing shares after I had restarted p2pool.  Now I have a couple of questions maybe you can help me out with:

I would like to have each miner use a non wallet address rather than configure each miner with the same address for better individual tracking.  I figured this could happen a couple ways, 1 would be to create a new receiving address in the wallet for each miner, but that seems to wasteful.  2.  I was thinking to set the pool fee to 100% and set the -a payout address and then configure miners with any textual username I prefer.

How would one do this will the least amount of effort?

http://s2.postimg.org/lh6uy5iqx/Capture.jpg

I'm actively developing the front end on my site, it's still in beta and requires PHP and a DB to be set up on the node.... It does address some of your concerns about not being able to see shares after a restart... I posted some of the preliminary code in this thread here if you want to check it out.

The expected time to share looks about right to me, here is one of my miners (2x S1), about double your speed, about 1/2 the expected time-to-share:

http://mining.coincadence.com/miner.php?id=13AxQAKFiy6Dks5Jwdbah3rhMJAJ9UzwHk

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:43:30 PM

Make sure you're using Kano's cgminer patch for S1s.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 12:21:16 AM

Looks like my pool stats did report normally after a couple shares were submitted, and I was also paid the other missing shares after I had restarted p2pool.  Now I have a couple of questions maybe you can help me out with:

I would like to have each miner use a non wallet address rather than configure each miner with the same address for better individual tracking.  I figured this could happen a couple ways, 1 would be to create a new receiving address in the wallet for each miner, but that seems to wasteful.  2.  I was thinking to set the pool fee to 100% and set the -a payout address and then configure miners with any textual username I prefer.

There's nothing wasteful with giving your workers individual addresses - and it's the easiest  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 12:35:54 AM

There's nothing wasteful with giving your workers individual addresses - and it's the easiest  Wink

If you name a miner anything other than a direct wallet address then it'll go to the default wallet

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 03:32:09 AM

If you name a miner anything other than a direct wallet address then it'll go to the default wallet

I assume that's what he meant, by saying individual addresses instead of individual names
PatMan

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 10:05:23 AM

I assume that's what he meant, by saying individual addresses instead of individual names

You assumed correctly my good fellow  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
andmax

Activity: 41

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 11:06:05 AM

Hi Windpath, thanks for the info here, im running some s1 and was having hard time with google on a definitive response to setting the pseudo share.

In case you missed it, make sure you update your S1 with the cgminer patch for p2pool.

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS1

M

I've just got a few S1's and are mining on my node, what does the update fix?
PatMan

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 01:28:54 PM

Anyone have any definitive thoughts on how to get S2s working with p2pool at full capacity?  I can't justify losing 10% of my hashpower to use p2pool.

M

I got one arriving tomorrow - I'll let you know how I get on, but 10% is too much to lose for sure - especially at the price of them  Wink

Sooo, got the S2 yesterday, spent a few hours doing the obligatory stripping, checking & fixing various loose/unconnected cables, boards etc and flashing a new image to a 4GB class 10 microSD before firing her up. Then spent another 10 hours or so playing with a few settings before coming to the conclusion that using it on p2pool is pretty much pointless (unless you're happy losing ~10% of your mining power) until Kano can work his magic on an updated miner for it. No amount of messing will change anything until this is done - so it's now pointed at a different pool until then, hashing at full capacity @ ~1050Gh/s on standard settings (compared to <940Gh/s on p2pool).

Just gotta be patient I suppose........ Wink

windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

Sooo, got the S2 yesterday, spent a few hours doing the obligatory stripping, checking & fixing various loose/unconnected cables, boards etc and flashing a new image to a 4GB class 10 microSD before firing her up. Then spent another 10 hours or so playing with a few settings before coming to the conclusion that using it on p2pool is pretty much pointless (unless you're happy losing ~10% of your mining power) until Kano can work his magic on an updated miner for it. No amount of messing will change anything until this is done - so it's now pointed at a different pool until then, hashing at full capacity @ ~1050Gh/s on standard settings (compared to <940Gh/s on p2pool).

Just gotta be patient I suppose........ Wink

Man, what a bummer. Love my Ants, but sure wish Bitmain would stop messing with cgminer! Hopefully a fix is ready soon....
googlemaster1

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:54:33 PM

I've been looking for a good time to switch some of my hashpower over to a p2p system.  I'm curious though (and I'll be honest, I haven't read through as much of this as I should of), but where does this 2% fee go?  Does this get distributed to people who run nodes somehow?

Also, It sounds like its not worth it to bring my S2's over, but with the newest firmware and https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS1 - I should be OK to bring my S1's over?

Sorry I'm a total newb, but I get antsy to switch because Slush's luck has been insanely high lately, and that's usually the perfect time to pool hop to this model because it supports further decentralization.

so ELI5 away, I won't be offended Tongue.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
PatMan

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:00:35 PM

Yes, Kano's fix  for the S1 works wonders with p2pool - come aboard  Wink

IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 07:01:38 PM

where does this 2% fee go?

What 2% fee?

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
BuhTuglia

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 07:45:02 PM

Damn... that made me dizzy... kinda like the good old days...

Just another dust miner... Enquiring Gnomes want to Mine!
Send nothing to 16SVa2iQA6HuNPDGYShpmeEvUBRi2gW7f1
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 07:50:57 PM

I've been looking for a good time to switch some of my hashpower over to a p2p system.  I'm curious though (and I'll be honest, I haven't read through as much of this as I should of), but where does this 2% fee go?  Does this get distributed to people who run nodes somehow?

Also, It sounds like its not worth it to bring my S2's over, but with the newest firmware and https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS1 - I should be OK to bring my S1's over?

Sorry I'm a total newb, but I get antsy to switch because Slush's luck has been insanely high lately, and that's usually the perfect time to pool hop to this model because it supports further decentralization.

so ELI5 away, I won't be offended Tongue.

There is no set fee for P2Pool, it varies by node, and many nodes operate at 0% fees.

There are 2 fees that can be set on any given node:

1. A donation % for the developer (forrestv)
2. A donation % for the node default address

These 2 fees can be configured in any combination, again many node operators set them to 0, some do not.

If you run your own node you can set your fee to whatever you want.

It's notable that P2Pool "fees" are implemented as a % of shares submitted and not of total payouts...

If your in the US and looking for a 0% node check out the link in my signature Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: