Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:18:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591613 times)
jdot007

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:33:58 AM

I'm new to p2pool, I hope someone here can answer this, I've been mining Bitcoin for a day on it, and:

Code:
Local rate: 171GH/s (1.6% DOA) Expected time to share: 12.6 hours
Shares: 0 total (0 orphaned, 0 dead) Efficiency: ???
Payout if a block were found NOW: 0 BTC to [redacted]

Is that normal to have 0 shares for that long? With that hash rate, how long should it take to solve a single share? My miner sees lots of accepted shares, so I don't think its a problem with the miner. The estimate said 12 hours, 12 hours ago, so I can't go by that. 2 blocks have been found by the whole p2pool since I started, so I'm worried I am getting absolutely no credit for hashing. Should I not bother with p2pool unless I have a terrahash or more?

Yeah, it can be like that - just be patient & they will come - but 171Gh isn't so much nowadays  Wink

Is anyone using Dragon 1Th on p2pool? Care to share your experiences? Thinking of getting a few if they're compatible...... Tongue

Worse than the S2's on p2pool.  You'd be lucky to get 800gh per dragon pointing it to a p2pool node. At least that's what I've experienced from rentals. So far the avoid for p2pool list for me includes: S2, dragons, and Cointerra.

The goto list for rentals/physical p2pool compatible (full hashrate) include: S1's, KNC and Spondoolies.  

Haven't seen what the Rockminers (R or Box) do with p2pool yet.

I was been doing better than that with my Dragon 99Xgh or so but ended up switching that box to Eligius because of high latency to all pools and the inability to run a node at that location
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jedimstr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:37:05 AM

Luck works both ways.  There can be days when we can get 3 blocks in a row and get paid more overall than most pools.  

Is that part I put in bold accurate?  Most pools, to my knowledge, pay entirely based on luck.

M

Luck is definitely a factor still with centralized pools.  Just take look at BTCGuild's thread to see the usual luck complaints like we have here.  The difference is that people over there are complaining when the pool doesn't get the usual amount of blocks in a day while we complain about not getting blocks at all for days.  

Luck and variance sorta exaggerates the swings we see on p2pool so that we can see zero payouts in a week or 3 or 4 times the "average estimated" payout for the equivalent hashrate in one day. Lower variance in much larger pools smooths those extremes out at both ends.

jedimstr

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:39:27 AM

I'm new to p2pool, I hope someone here can answer this, I've been mining Bitcoin for a day on it, and:

Code:
Local rate: 171GH/s (1.6% DOA) Expected time to share: 12.6 hours
Shares: 0 total (0 orphaned, 0 dead) Efficiency: ???
Payout if a block were found NOW: 0 BTC to [redacted]

Is that normal to have 0 shares for that long? With that hash rate, how long should it take to solve a single share? My miner sees lots of accepted shares, so I don't think its a problem with the miner. The estimate said 12 hours, 12 hours ago, so I can't go by that. 2 blocks have been found by the whole p2pool since I started, so I'm worried I am getting absolutely no credit for hashing. Should I not bother with p2pool unless I have a terrahash or more?

Yeah, it can be like that - just be patient & they will come - but 171Gh isn't so much nowadays  Wink

Is anyone using Dragon 1Th on p2pool? Care to share your experiences? Thinking of getting a few if they're compatible...... Tongue

Worse than the S2's on p2pool.  You'd be lucky to get 800gh per dragon pointing it to a p2pool node. At least that's what I've experienced from rentals. So far the avoid for p2pool list for me includes: S2, dragons, and Cointerra.

The goto list for rentals/physical p2pool compatible (full hashrate) include: S1's, KNC and Spondoolies. 

I was been doing better than that with my Dragon 99Xgh or so but ended up switching that box to Eligius because of high latency to all pools and the inability to run a node at that location

Was that 99xGH total or accepted?   I saw both lower total hashrate and very high rejects from dragon rentals from BetaRigs and LeaseRigs.

jdot007

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:52:30 AM

Was that 99xGH total or accepted?   I saw both lower total hashrate and very high rejects from dragon rentals from BetaRigs and LeaseRigs.

The P2Pool node that I was using reported between 800-1000 gh and the payouts were very similar/tad bit higher than 1t of ants running on Eligius. I'd like hear from other owners as YMMV may apply here though.

J

IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:09:10 PM

Worse than the S2's on p2pool.  You'd be lucky to get 800gh per dragon pointing it to a p2pool node. At least that's what I've experienced from rentals. So far the avoid for p2pool list for me includes: S2, dragons, and Cointerra.

Thanks jedimstr, more bad news then.........I gotta say, it absolutely wrecks my f*cking head that there is so much incompatibility with p2pool & most mining hardware due to a complete lack of development work by the invisible dev here - which brings me on to another point:

I invite forrestv to please post here on his own thread with an update on what is happening with regards the development of p2pool & p2pool.info so as to stop everyone having to guess what is going on & put an end to all the childish name calling being done by certain individuals. It's about time you spoke up.

It seems pretty obvious that we are not going to hear from him, so why the hell don't we change the code in p2pool to donate to miners instead of him? Donating to a dev who doesn't/can't/won't either develop the software or comment on this thread is not only pointless, but a waste of everyone's hard earned satoshi & doing this would only encourage more miners to p2pool. Frankly, I'm sick of him receiving donations for doing & saying f*ck all. If this means forking or whatever - so be it. At least that way it will be the miners who benefit from using p2pool. Maybe even a new thread, that way we can start looking for a dev who is willing to take a look at the p2pool code to make it more user friendly & hardware compatible? I don't know, it's up to the p2pool community of course, but it's about time something was done.
The ghash situation has caused many miners to look for alternative pools, I see so many people saying p2pool is the perfect option, decentralize, etc etc - but they can't use it! We are missing a massive opportunity here to make p2pool THE pool & safeguard the network for the future of Bitcoin - but once again we are missing it by a mile.

It just makes me so angry.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
murdof

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:34:50 PM

I updated my guide to install P2Pool with 2 commands only (after you install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).

I hope this helps people with little Linux knowledge to move to P2Pool...

Buy me a beer: 1mrdfyA1GhKmTPhaSkvyq5DBterQ5m7ZK

Run your own P2Pool with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and merge mining
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 12:40:00 PM

Thanks jedimstr, more bad news then.........I gotta say, it absolutely wrecks my f*cking head that there is so much incompatibility with p2pool & most mining hardware due to a complete lack of development work by the invisible dev here - which brings me on to another point:
The failure is not on the part of p2pool, but on the drivers for cgminer in the hardware itself.  Kano has been working to try to get the S2 playing nicely, but hasn't yet been able to solve the problem because of the closed-source nature of Bitmain's driver.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
IYFTech

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:45:55 PM

I'm aware of this.

The S2 (and others) work fine on any other pool - it's been like this ever since asics came out. If they all work on every other pool but this one - it is arguably a p2pool problem. However, as there is no dev here to look into it, it's not going to change in a hurry - that is my point.

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
murdof

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:48:56 PM

I'm aware of this.

The S2 (and others) work fine on any other pool - it's been like this ever since asics came out. If they all work on every other pool but this one - it is arguably a p2pool problem. However, as there is no dev here to look into it, it's not going to change in a hurry - that is my point.

SP10 was working with P2Pool but then it had an issue.
They issued a new version (1.4.4) that works with P2Pool. I think they updated to latest cgminer.

So maybe it is not always P2Pool problem and things can be fixed by others.
Maybe ckolivas can enlighten us...

IYFTech

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:58:06 PM

I'm aware of this.

SP10 was working with P2Pool but then it had an issue.
They issued a new version (1.4.4) that works with P2Pool. I think they updated to latest cgminer.

So maybe it is not always P2Pool problem and things can be fixed by others.
Maybe ckolivas can enlighten us...

Again, you miss my point. Even if the problem can be fixed by the devs at cgminer, it would make their work so much easier if p2pool had an active dev who would work with ckolivas  & kano to iron out any issues. The cgminer devs do this out of kindness & donations - the dev here gets donations for doing sod all.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 01:14:51 PM

I'm aware of this.

Your point is very valid, and one with which I agree.  It might make the miner developers' lives easier if they had some input from the p2pool developer.  For example, the SP10 stopped working on p2pool when they released firmware version 1.4.2.  I reported it, and worked with the Spondoolies guys (Zvisha and Remo) so they could address it.  They had it addressed and fixed within a day or so and released 1.4.4.  Not only is that responsive, but it's a pretty nice turnaround time as well.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
murdof

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:49:25 PM

Again, you miss my point. Even if the problem can be fixed by the devs at cgminer, it would make their work so much easier if p2pool had an active dev who would work with ckolivas  & kano to iron out any issues. The cgminer devs do this out of kindness & donations - the dev here gets donations for doing sod all.

I fully get your point.
I'm just saying if you have no support from P2Pool and we have no immediate support on it, maybe cgminer can provide workaround for P2Pool to work properly.
It is as I say a workaround not a solution.

PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:44:15 PM

At the risk of repeating myself, I suggested this over a year ago....

I totally agree that the payments that the dev are getting should be directed at the miners instead - there is far more development being put into p2pool by it's users than the non-dev - which is zero & has been for many months.

I suggest everyone start using p2pool with the syntax "--give-author 0" in the command line. It's a temporary fix but will at least ensure that the non-dev stops getting paid for doing nothing until a more permanent solution is found. We need to get p2pool moving forward again - too much time has been wasted already.

Peace  Smiley

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
ratty

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:05:23 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 06:29:45 PM by ratty

What newcomers to p2pool usually don't immediately grasp is there are two types of shares in p2pool.

Thanks for the explantion but I did know that. I was explaining that my miners were seeing accepted shares so my local pool was accepting them to demonstrate I didn't think there was a problem with the miner. I was asking if I can still get the same payout over a longer period of time, or if something was broken and I needed to fix something. I'm going multiple blocks found by p2pool before even a single share is found by me, doesn't that mean I may as well have had my miner turned off during that period? So I know the mechanics of p2pool but I'm a bit fuzzy on the statistics science involved, and if over a longer period of time can it even out even if you have little hash rate compared to everyone Can I somehow get the same payouts as I do on normal pools, if I wait long enough?
This kind of kills the appeal of smaller miners, though I don't know what is more, all the smaller miners (under 1TH) added up vs entities that command larger hashrates. If its only the bigger miners that matter in the 51% threat, then I guess its just a matter of convincing them. I fell for the rhetoric on /r/bitcoin on reddit, about saying everyone should switch to p2pool, but I didn't they were only talking to > 1TH people only.
nreal

Activity: 932

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:05:15 PM

net-misc/cgminer-4.3.5 doesnt work with p2pool stratum, not here anyways - it falls to longpoll

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Whitepaper
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:12:19 PM

Been seeing the following error lately:

Code:
No bitcoind connection when block submittal attempted!

Restarting the coin daemon seems to resolve it temporarily but I still see the following error sometimes:

Code:
Block submittal result: False (u'rejected') Expected: True

Anyone?

Is it possible to have a backup coin daemon running with p2pool?

norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 09:15:27 PM

At the risk of repeating myself, I suggested this over a year ago....

I totally agree that the payments that the dev are getting should be directed at the miners instead - there is far more development being put into p2pool by it's users than the non-dev - which is zero & has been for many months.

I suggest everyone start using p2pool with the syntax "--give-author 0" in the command line. It's a temporary fix but will at least ensure that the non-dev stops getting paid for doing nothing until a more permanent solution is found. We need to get p2pool moving forward again - too much time has been wasted already.

Peace  Smiley

This is my point. If you are donating to the dev and are not happy about the lack of development then its your own silly fault. Set donation to 0.

I agree we need to try and fix the issue with larger miners but I've rented some rigs and they've been quite good.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 09:20:43 PM

What newcomers to p2pool usually don't immediately grasp is there are two types of shares in p2pool.

Thanks for the explantion but I did know that. I was explaining that my miners were seeing accepted shares so my local pool was accepting them to demonstrate I didn't think there was a problem with the miner. I was asking if I can still get the same payout over a longer period of time, or if something was broken and I needed to fix something. I'm going multiple blocks found by p2pool before even a single share is found by me, doesn't that mean I may as well have had my miner turned off during that period? So I know the mechanics of p2pool but I'm a bit fuzzy on the statistics science involved, and if over a longer period of time can it even out even if you have little hash rate compared to everyone Can I somehow get the same payouts as I do on normal pools, if I wait long enough?
This kind of kills the appeal of smaller miners, though I don't know what is more, all the smaller miners (under 1TH) added up vs entities that command larger hashrates. If its only the bigger miners that matter in the 51% threat, then I guess its just a matter of convincing them. I fell for the rhetoric on /r/bitcoin on reddit, about saying everyone should switch to p2pool, but I didn't they were only talking to > 1TH people only.
The mechanics are that every share you find is added to the share chain.  That share will pay out for 8640 found shares and it drops off the payout list.  One share every 30 seconds, 2 a minute, 120 an hour, 2880 a day, 8640 per three days.

The expected time to share is just an educated guess by the software.  Based on your hash rate, you have a very high probability of finding a share every 12.6 hours.  Does that mean it's going to happen like clockwork?  Not at all.  I had an S1 go for over a day before finding a share.  Once you find that share, though, every block the p2pool network finds within the 3 day window you'll be paid.  Even if your miner is shut down.  

With lower hash rate, you'll notice the variance quite a lot.  Firstly, you'll see it just to get a share on the chain.  Then you'll see it from the p2pool network finding blocks.  When you mine on the larger pools, you see less variance because they're solving blocks faster.  You also get smaller rewards per block because your contributions count less.

So... if you're more comfortable getting a slow, steady payout, go with one of the larger pools.  If you don't mind the variance, stick with p2pool.

bitdigger2013

Activity: 397

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:21:33 PM

How many of you try to find nodes close to you and add them to your nodes when you run your node with --p2pool-node?
norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 11:03:50 PM

How many of you try to find nodes close to you and add them to your nodes when you run your node with --p2pool-node?

I've got my own nodes doing that, I have a couple nearby that I have added also. how advantageous is it exactly to do so do you think? does it make a huge difference?

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: