Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:31:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591571 times)
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 06:35:43 PM

One of my S2's just found a massive share - 3,095,261,251 !! Biggest one I ever mined - on an S2 as well!  Cheesy

Block solver, gotta be........ Grin

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chinesebob

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 07:19:25 PM

Looking into the pseudo share difficulty setting ( SomeWalletAddress+512 ), it seems meaningless to configure, especially when running a local p2pool node.  So, now I'm confused as to why Bitmain says to set the share difficulty on Antminer S3 to 512 in their FAQ, their answer leads me to believe they don't actually understand what that value represents.  After removing the +512 my local node is assigning difficulties in the range of 500-800, is my node calculating which difficulty to give me based on the total hashrate of my miners, or the hashrate of each individual miner, or something completely different? 

If I calculate this based on a couple other sites rule of thumb, I get a difficulty around 3016 for my total hashing power, and 522 for per miner.  I don't see why the p2pool node should care about a setting based on per miner, I mean what's the difference from the view of the p2pool node if I have one 2TH miner, or four 500GH miners? It seems like the the difficulty assigned should be for the whole of the hashing power.

From Bitmain FAQ:
" AntMiners support p2pool. Static difficulty configuration recommended.
Since p2pool adjusts the difficulty frequently, therefore would bring hash rate loss when the difficulty changes at any time. As a result is that AntMiners' hash rate may be a little lower than that released officially when they are mining in p2pool.
We suggest you configure a static difficulty for AntMiner, when you mine in p2pool. Recommended difficulty is 256 or 512.

2. How to configure a static diff when AntMiner mines in p2pool?
Through ‘Status->Miner Configuration‘, configure Pool Worker as 'BTC address/256+256' or 'BTC address+256'.
"
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 08:02:50 PM

I found setting diff made no difference whatsoever - so I just let my node decide & run the antminers normally. Works fine  Smiley

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
MissouriMiner

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 08:50:07 PM

Looking into the pseudo share difficulty setting ( SomeWalletAddress+512 ), it seems meaningless to configure, especially when running a local p2pool node.  So, now I'm confused as to why Bitmain says to set the share difficulty on Antminer S3 to 512 in their FAQ, their answer leads me to believe they don't actually understand what that value represents.  After removing the +512 my local node is assigning difficulties in the range of 500-800, is my node calculating which difficulty to give me based on the total hashrate of my miners, or the hashrate of each individual miner, or something completely different? 

If I calculate this based on a couple other sites rule of thumb, I get a difficulty around 3016 for my total hashing power, and 522 for per miner.  I don't see why the p2pool node should care about a setting based on per miner, I mean what's the difference from the view of the p2pool node if I have one 2TH miner, or four 500GH miners? It seems like the the difficulty assigned should be for the whole of the hashing power.

From Bitmain FAQ:
Since p2pool adjusts the difficulty frequently, therefore would bring hash rate loss when the difficulty changes at any time. As a result is that AntMiners' hash rate may be a little lower than that released officially when they are mining in p2pool.
We suggest you configure a static difficulty for AntMiner, when you mine in p2pool. Recommended difficulty is 256 or 512.

Through ‘Status->Miner Configuration‘, configure Pool Worker as 'BTC address/256+256' or 'BTC address+256'.
"

If you want cgminer and the charts in P2Pool to report the hashrate you are expecting, then you should set it.  If you don't care about those things, then don't set it.  As far as share solving, it doesn't matter.   I don't like seeing my hashrate jump from 25% of it's advertised rate to 200% it's advertised rate.   It drives me crazy, so I set the pseudo share and my graphs and monitor tools look good.
MissouriMiner

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 09:17:39 PM

A cool feature for minimum downtime is that you can have 2 instances of p2pool running at once (while only one is active). So if you start the new instance before killing the old one and wait a few minutes to kill the old one you will have a very small window of downtime.

Do I need to copy the p2pool code to a second directory to run a second instance?

And some other questions,

What is the advantage for me in opening port 9333 on my firewall, and why would p2pool tell me I have incoming peers when I don't have the port open?  "Peers: 18 (12 incoming)"  I know the port is currently closed to the outside, maybe my modems firewall allows established connections like my iptables?

Does p2pool ever rotate data/bitcoin/log ?

Having incoming peers does add value, but also increases your network and CPU utilization.  The increase is not that much, but something to be aware of.  If you have incoming connections and did not specifically port forward, then that means your router has UPnP enabled.   I typically recommend disabling UPnP on routers because it is a security risk, but it is also a convenience and you may have other applications using UPnP.  If you do not want p2pool to use UPnP, then add --disable-upnp to your startup command.  bitcoind will also use uPnP by default and can be disabled with upnp=0.
chinesebob

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 09:38:24 PM

That's good advice on the upnp, I could swear I had it disabled but, now that I think about it I'm not sure I reconfigured it the last time they swapped my broken modem.  I'll see if it lets me disable it on this one, and forward the port.

Do you know what value is added when having incoming peers?  I mean, is it a matter of being a good netizen or, is there some technical value to it?

I'm playing with the cgminer command now, noticed --queue 4096, which according to some others is way too high.  I set my --queue to 1 and my miners now have a load average of ~1.6 as opposed to 2+ load when it was set to 4096.  Hashrate and temperature seems the same, seems a little more responsive now when I ssh in.  Any ideas on the queue size?

Anyone have an Antminer S3 cgminer command tuned for p2pool they care to share?
MissouriMiner

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 09:54:23 PM

That's good advice on the upnp, I could swear I had it disabled but, now that I think about it I'm not sure I reconfigured it the last time they swapped my broken modem.  I'll see if it lets me disable it on this one, and forward the port.

Do you know what value is added when having incoming peers?  I mean, is it a matter of being a good netizen or, is there some technical value to it?

I'm playing with the cgminer command now, noticed --queue 4096, which according to some others is way too high.  I set my --queue to 1 and my miners now have a load average of ~1.6 as opposed to 2+ load when it was set to 4096.  Hashrate and temperature seems the same, seems a little more responsive now when I ssh in.  Any ideas on the queue size?

Anyone have an Antminer S3 cgminer command tuned for p2pool they care to share?

I don't think I can articulate the value of incoming peers, but I will try. Their value is sharing information on shares, transactions, blocks, and should help reduce stales and reduce your orphans.  Something like that.  I'm sure someone will correct me.  :-)

For p2pool, set queue to 0.  This is still being debated.  Some say 1.  I've done my own testing and 0 works best for me.  I don't have any hard data to share.  I still add --expiry 1 --scan-time 1, but people tell me those don't matter anymore and were for GPU's.  But...  I still set them out of habit.    I also sent you a PM yesterday.  I would set pseudo share to +518.  For some reason, when you use +512, the UI will not show Best Share, and I like to see the best share on each miner.  +518 was also recommended by the people working on Antpool P2P.  And they recommend +1028 for the S2.  I also use +1028 for the C1's.  And I use +2240 for my S4's.  All my graphs look better this way.  Smiley

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 01:21:57 AM

From Bitmain FAQ:

"

From my testing of my S1s and S2s on my home grown proxy, Ants have two significant problems with p2pool:

1 - They can't restart work fast enough.  Supposedly the latest S2 firmware addresses this, but I have not tried it.  I can't imagine them fixing it entirely, but I could see it being much better than it was.  That means every 30 seconds when p2pool tells your miners "hey, stop what you're doing and start over with this data instead!", it takes a few seconds for the Ant to do so.  In those few seconds there's a good chance it'll submit a share that is no longer valid.  In the S2s case, it was a lot more than a few seconds, and if the work restarted back to back in less than 30 seconds, it quickly gets out of hand.

2 - This is what pertains to your question.  It also can't respond to share size changes that quickly.  If you don't fix the share size, p2pool will at some point increase the minimum share size required, and your Ant can't stop what's it's doing fast enough to switch and then ends up submitting a share that's undersized.  This is what generates the somewhat confusing "share submitted larger than difficulty" message in p2pool.  That said, this is all pseudo share stuff, missing this share really doesn't matter.  It'll just mess with your stats.  It may also decrease your throughput, as your Ant has to switch gears, although I would suspect it's not as bad as the "stop and restart" message I refer to in part 1.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
MissouriMiner

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 01:47:25 AM

From Bitmain FAQ:

"

From my testing of my S1s and S2s on my home grown proxy, Ants have two significant problems with p2pool:

1 - They can't restart work fast enough.  Supposedly the latest S2 firmware addresses this, but I have not tried it.  I can't imagine them fixing it entirely, but I could see it being much better than it was.  That means every 30 seconds when p2pool tells your miners "hey, stop what you're doing and start over with this data instead!", it takes a few seconds for the Ant to do so.  In those few seconds there's a good chance it'll submit a share that is no longer valid.  In the S2s case, it was a lot more than a few seconds, and if the work restarted back to back in less than 30 seconds, it quickly gets out of hand.

2 - This is what pertains to your question.  It also can't respond to share size changes that quickly.  If you don't fix the share size, p2pool will at some point increase the minimum share size required, and your Ant can't stop what's it's doing fast enough to switch and then ends up submitting a share that's undersized.  This is what generates the somewhat confusing "share submitted larger than difficulty" message in p2pool.  That said, this is all pseudo share stuff, missing this share really doesn't matter.  It'll just mess with your stats.  It may also decrease your throughput, as your Ant has to switch gears, although I would suspect it's not as bad as the "stop and restart" message I refer to in part 1.

M

The number 1 issue is fixed with latest firmware, which runs cgminer 4.6.1.  When the work restart request comes in, I usually see the flush work within 1 second, then the new block task usually arrives in another second.  Often there are new accepted shares submitted within 2 seconds of the work restart request.  The new cgminer 4.6.1 has brought new life to the S2.  I used to point the S2's to a different pool, while all my other miners used P2Pool.  It's so nice to see them doing the full 1000 GH/s with P2Pool.  I have 2x S2's and 2x C1's, and all 4 of them run neck-and-neck.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 01:56:59 AM

The number 1 issue is fixed with latest firmware, which runs cgminer 4.6.1.  When the work restart request comes in, I usually see the flush work within 1 second, then the new block task usually arrives in another second.  Often there are new accepted shares submitted within 2 seconds of the work restart request.  The new cgminer 4.6.1 has brought new life to the S2.  I used to point the S2's to a different pool, while all my other miners used P2Pool.  It's so nice to see them doing the full 1000 GH/s with P2Pool.  I have 2x S2's and 2x C1's, and all 4 of them run neck-and-neck.

That's good to know.  I haven't tried p2pool since recently with my limited hashrate.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 05:15:13 AM

I found this quote from forrestv in /etc/newsyslog.conf:
#<forrestv> phillipsjk, USR1 reopens the log file
#but it reopens it every 5 seconds anyway, so you can just move the log file out from under it
/home/P2Pool/data/bitcoin/log P2Pool:P2Pool 644 5 * $D1 JR /home/P2Pool/sighup.sh
(newsyslog rotates logs so programs don't have to)

cat /home/P2Pool/sighup.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Sends P2Pools' interpreter USR1 to reopen log
killall -USR1 python2.7
#./launcher.sh

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 09:36:37 PM

Looks like lady luck is paying us a visit.
nonnakip

Activity: 633
Merit: 591

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 10:48:54 PM

Are there plans to open source that code and allow others to use it on their nodes?

NastyPool is part of a integrated service on nastyfans.org. Opening this code would not help anyone else to run it on their node because it is not a standalone solution.

The new NastyPoP payout method running on NastyPool is not black magic. I put together now information web pages that describe exactly how it works. It is quite simple. I think longtime P2Pool miners would see how fun it is to mine on. Especially if they are <1TH/s miners.

What makes NastyPoP so interesting is not that it is some magical payout method that magically uses P2Pool. It is interesting because it allows a sub-pool of miners to work together fairly on P2Pool. And it does this without taking any Bitcoin fees and makes all mining data public.

I expect the idea of sub-pools within P2Pool to become more popular as P2Pool gets bigger. It is obvious from the AntPool code that this is what they do also.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 01:01:01 AM

What makes NastyPoP so interesting is not that it is some magical payout method that magically uses P2Pool. It is interesting because it allows a sub-pool of miners to work together fairly on P2Pool. And it does this without taking any Bitcoin fees and makes all mining data public.

Totally agree, this is a fix that can work now for p2pool, it creates some centralization and trust is required, but it allows smaller miners to participate, this is a big step in the right direction.

I expect the idea of sub-pools within P2Pool to become more popular as P2Pool gets bigger. It is obvious from the AntPool code that this is what they do also.

The difference with AntPool is that they will charge a fee, and as AntPool would already represent over double our hash rate it will hurt the majority of the other miners on p2pool if they were to simply jump in...
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 01:28:13 AM

Totally agree, this is a fix that can work now for p2pool, it creates some centralization and trust is required, but it allows smaller miners to participate, this is a big step in the right direction.

The difference with AntPool is that they will charge a fee, and as AntPool would already represent over double our hash rate it will hurt the majority of the other miners on p2pool if they were to simply jump in...

And the way they describe it, with their typical ambiguity, implies it's not compatible with the p2pool chain anyhow.

M

chinesebob

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:07:54 AM

I found this quote from forrestv in /etc/newsyslog.conf:
#<forrestv> phillipsjk, USR1 reopens the log file
#but it reopens it every 5 seconds anyway, so you can just move the log file out from under it
/home/P2Pool/data/bitcoin/log P2Pool:P2Pool 644 5 * $D1 JR /home/P2Pool/sighup.sh
(newsyslog rotates logs so programs don't have to)

cat /home/P2Pool/sighup.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Sends P2Pools' interpreter USR1 to reopen log
killall -USR1 python2.7
#./launcher.sh

cool, thanks for the tip, I put a logrotate entry on my system at /etc/logrotate.d/p2pool

cat /etc/logrotate.d/p2pool
Code:
/home/user/p2pool/data/bitcoin/log {
        create 0644 user user
        daily
        rotate 90
        size 10M
        compress
        delaycompress
        notifempty
        missingok
        postrotate
                /usr/bin/pkill -USR1 -f run_p2pool.py
        endscript
}

PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 07:30:59 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2014, 07:49:57 PM by PatMan

And the way they describe it, with their typical ambiguity, implies it's not compatible with the p2pool chain anyhow.

M

Yeah, I'm not sure it works at all tbh - but at least they open sourced the code  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
nonnakip

Activity: 633
Merit: 591

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:33:05 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure it works at all tbh - but at least they open sourced the code  Wink

The code released does work with the P2Pool chain. All it does is:
  • force all miners to mine on AntPool default address
  • implements a database to track miners

These allow AntPool to run a sub-pool. But they are not necessary. NastyPool implements a sub-pool without changing P2Pool code. NastyPool allows miners to decide themselves if they want to use the sub-pool address (by adding -PoP to the username). NastyPool uses existing hooks in P2Pool software to track miners.
jcumins

Merit: 100

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:47:38 AM

Looks like over 30 hours and no blocks find on P2Pool, but looking at the Pool stats net wide, all mining pools are not doing well the past 24 to 36 hours. Sad

MissouriMiner

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 01:57:56 AM

Looks like over 30 hours and no blocks find on P2Pool, but looking at the Pool stats net wide, all mining pools are not doing well the past 24 to 36 hours. Sad

It may have been about 30 hours, but there were 6 blocks found within 24 hours.  There have been 48 hour dry spells, or even longer.  You have to look at monthly statistics.
Pages: « 1 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: