Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:47:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap and not simple repair of S7 hash board  (Read 2195 times)
Amortis

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 03:16:14 AM

They do make actual QFN test sockets.  Kinda pricey, especially for 0.4mm, but if you lurk on eba+aliexpress long enough one should come along for under $50.  Or else make your own using ENIGold PCBs from eg OSHPark.

But... why?

I mean are you going to desolder all the chips from your PCB, test them individually, then solder them back on?  The SMT pads are incredibly fragile, even a very skilled operator with the right equipment will damage the board ~5% of the time in a multi-cycle rework operation like this.  Multiply that by 45 chips/board and you're not likely to end up with any more working boards than you had to start with.

Yes, i agree with mjosephs,  I'd rather make pcb from a pcb manufacturer than buy from ebay or aliexpress.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 03:23:03 AM

The real problem is re-placing QFN chips just sucks. With BGA you have nice little balls that you can place on the pads, preheat, heat, and they drop with a nice little thud, but QFN is a crapshoot. Either there is too much solder on the pads, not enough, almost enough and you have to drag solder around the edge with an iron, and then you pull up a pad and life just loses meaning.

Bigger question: Is it worth it? Replacing the QFN48 power chips on a KNC controller board is worth it (although I prefer swapping the BGA FPGA by a long shot and have never screwed one up) but is it worth it for a S7?
Dibblah (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 10:16:00 AM

The real problem is re-placing QFN chips just sucks. With BGA you have nice little balls that you can place on the pads, preheat, heat, and they drop with a nice little thud, but QFN is a crapshoot. Either there is too much solder on the pads, not enough, almost enough and you have to drag solder around the edge with an iron, and then you pull up a pad and life just loses meaning.
Yep. And the leadframe on this damn chip is quite thin, so there's essentially no wicking or heating from the top. Hey, everyone needs a hobby Wink

Biggest problem I have at the moment is I have no way to prove that the chip I'm putting in worked _before_ I touched it.

Again, these PCBs are quite good - I haven't seen a delamination without extreme heat being applied. And the "interesting" pads have external access - technically you can rework, but it's a real pain at .4mm.

Bigger question: Is it worth it? Replacing the QFN48 power chips on a KNC controller board is worth it (although I prefer swapping the BGA FPGA by a long shot and have never screwed one up) but is it worth it for a S7?

I agree completely. It's not a business, it's a hobby. The only bit that's easy and worthwhile is Frankensteining the 14v supply (boost modules on ebay are really cheap and it doesn't appear to be a high current or particularly sensitive rail). Also, why the heck does that area of the board always corrode?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:30:39 PM

The 14V only sources power to local LDOs on the top couple nodes; the rest are fed by Vcore from nodes higher up the chain. Those LDOs provide 1.8V for control and IO and 0.9V for the PLL. Total current requirement per chip is almost nothing, on the order of 10mA. On the 2Pac I use a resistor divider for the 0.9V and it works fine. As long as your boost rail is at least about 1.5V higher than the Vcore of the top node (since ground reference there is about 0.7V lower and a good 1.8V LDO will work at 2.1-2.2V) and it can source ~100mA it should work. You're right, that is easy.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Dibblah (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 10:31:58 PM

So...

Because everyone deserves to laugh at someone else occasionally... I present to you, the worlds least efficient stickminer.

33w at the wall, one linear supply powering a SMPSU powering a single bm1384. Hash rate of 11Gh/s or so at an approximate efficiency of...

0.03GH/J

Err... There is a point to this, trust me.

https://i.imgur.com/saIXivj.jpg
Dibblah (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 03:08:31 PM

Right. Finally got another few minutes to look at this.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LwFGnYJ_ZAJJGS9bmSvpmBLZ9qW1FbnyvMxRueCCxtyzT4lIeKMiOsSUi-KrQEfeQyqSgGxXJapAdLthqfcl8HTkMmYQrDynrQZmvvfHn0SM_6d2Vi7nS3Ec9KIAL7S2BdQoqltYEOnSexAFkJG_NPmxSqfAMUUWCId4rfFhbNduOsLUrAVYe5b8m8Favk8VyJ1uiuR4sA_D7K66_uHVl5jxdlPXsLGEttCKUlRitZF95hRnxnGi0-_NEVXEf_XjKLdgzoNMg-H5mHSBGgFnmDxsnG6i-Ma39NasX8AoBUjJRbV9_F2_LPYcAiE_9rXF2kP3dSnU4wPF4yG8KMKUEIPHpeCM4ua9T7oRqvS8szWguzA2fQvNdhhaWPto_F8TIy2iz6NGM2XU03i24TKGJIWWSEBlMEzv8pT7G7Xg-1PFCOnynjR-xaVNVZbQqqMZ-pNgKmwknlYCJHS9pbjzxwXxpRQn_KQeLOLS6H1-5eNdEfM933-MT0ylnDMe_vwloIBjI9A0zI-1UotaFc6xKQ2w_FIBp99qYqeM0r39CPLBmJ6GbOSXeJKSrjAD81NGf3413SnEeDzFdKdYzqtRwygBcrtZblTYN5-flav-v3wL9OZhDqk7H6CsA1zDzr3KzflXHcYtRDEJtXXGY5juZcSPuROw_1GtbutSu-4_HQ=w361-h641-no

CP2104 does 1.8v IO voltage natively. Of course, it's never that simple - the dongle I bought bridges 3.3v and the IO voltage under the chip. Aaaargh.

Reflow, slice, reflow, kynar, variable IO voltage yay.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: