Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:35:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-21 Bitcoin’s Last Mile Problem  (Read 1575 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 06:17:20 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/21/bitcoin-last-mile
Joey DeVilla was (and still is) one of my favorite bloggers. Calling himself the Accordian Guy, Joey has been writing cool stuff for most of this decade, and he recently hopped on the bitcoin train by posting a long how-to in the vein of my own guide to mining. His is quite thorough in his process, but it sets an old HP all-in-one to the task, which resulting in very slow mining speeds and, as a result, a tangible waste of resources, including time, energy and computer wear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:36:04 PM

hmm, me thinks someone read my post about scrooge and his swimming pool of gold that I made earlier today  Tongue
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:50:17 PM

hmm, me thinks someone read my post about scrooge and his swimming pool of gold that I made earlier today  Tongue
You still owe me a royalty for that, btw...

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:57:38 PM

But then we have the last mile problem. Where can you shop with bitcoins besides a few places that are accepting the currency as a marketing gimmick?

I doubt Cups and Cakes in San Francisco regrets their "marketing gimmick" whatsoever.   If accepting bitcoin payment as a way to increase revenues is a gimmick, it certainly pays off!

Or perhaps the author is referring to BitcoinStore's offer to NewEgg and Amazon ... "accept bitcoin and we'll shut down", ... ok, that's a gimmick.

But the pace of organic merchant adoption is increasing.  My next domain name registration or renewal will be through Namecheap, paid for using bitcoins.  For my next travel, I'm going to try to stay at a place listed on 9Flats, paid for using bitcoins.  And where I can't pay using bitcoins online I can proxy pay I'll try using BitSpend.net (which places the order and pays for me).  

Bitcoin probably isn't ready for bricks and mortar commerce though.  Though a "race attack" against a merchant isn't something all that common, bricks and mortar merchants who accept bitcoin payment don't have much defense against those.  And there isn't a point-of-sale provider specifically to help retail merchants (e.g., with advice or insurance against double spending).

Where is my BTC ATM?

Technically, such a device exists today -- and existed was a prototype way more than a year ago.  Thanks to regulations, that never made it out of the lab.  It looks like one is coming, however.

Will they take Bitcoin at the exchange desk in the airport?

Travelex should.   This could be offered by anyone (e.g., buy bitcoins by sending payment of the foreign currency through the mail) except again, if this is considered being a money transmitter regulations make it so only the entrenched retail foreign currency exchangers are set up to handle this.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 10:01:55 PM

Bitpay takes on the risk of double spends... last I heard they haven't had one yet.

Chicken & the egg.  Merchants will accept them when people want to spend them.  People will want to spend them when they have them or when merchants accept them.

It'll continue to grow, but I wonder how many will treat bitcoin as a store of value in the meantime increasing the price to crazy levels???

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 06:47:57 AM

It'll continue to grow, but I wonder how many will treat bitcoin as a store of value in the meantime increasing the price to crazy levels???

The more they are valued, the more merchants will be interested in getting them.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: