Bitcoin Forum
March 24, 2017, 04:23:20 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.14.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoin exchnages in India prepared for an upcoming hard fork?  (Read 310 times)
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 08:34:23 PM

A group of nearly 20 exchanges has released contingency plans in the event that the bitcoin network splits in two, creating two competing currencies. Details: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-exchanges-unveil-emergency-hard-fork-contingency-plan/

I'd like to know the standing of Indian exchanges... Are they ready or people having coin with them may lose coins on one chain?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eaLiTy

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 11:43:19 AM

I'd like to know the standing of Indian exchanges... Are they ready or people having coin with them may lose coins on one chain?
They have to go with the majority and that would be the core,and from what i understand you will only get the split coin if you are holding it in your own wallet,which mean you must hold the private key to it and the coins stored elsewhere in exchanges or web wallets wont get those coins .I still hope there wont be any split in coins and the core will find a solution for it.

Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2017, 01:50:30 PM

They have to go with the majority and that would be the core,and from what i understand you will only get the split coin if you are holding it in your own wallet,which mean you must hold the private key to it and the coins stored elsewhere in exchanges or web wallets wont get those coins .I still hope there wont be any split in coins and the core will find a solution for it.

So far, we have decided to add provisions to export BTU keys if needed.
So the Split coins will be honoured by Coinsecure, since we guard users private keys.

Will do a blog post or mailer over the next few days explaining our stance.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 12:15:21 AM

I think users should not leave BTC at exchanges. In such cases, you will have control over both coins in case a hard fork occurs. You also minimize the risk of losing money if exchanges get hacked.

SpadeFX

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:50:24 AM

I think users should not leave BTC at exchanges. In such cases, you will have control over both coins in case a hard fork occurs. You also minimize the risk of losing money if exchanges get hacked.

I highly doubt if any of the top exchanges would con you for the split coins. Majority of the people who have their holdings at exchanges are traders and they need those there. For everyone else, who's NOT tech-savvy and not acquainted to understand the security of their personal computers/hand held devices, its better that they hold their coins at an reputable exchange than keep it on their device. The probability of your device getting compromised is much higher than an exchange. Plus exchanges today hardly keep many coins online. For peace of mind, you may diversify any risk by splitting your holdings into multiple top exchanges.
Its needless to say, people w/ larger holdings already keep their coins in hardware wallets or in cold storage.
eaLiTy

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:31:46 PM

I would say the same when it comes to saving your coins in other exchanges but when it comes to coinsecure if Benson Samuel says so i trust him. Smiley

Will do a blog post or mailer over the next few days explaining our stance.
Good to hear from your buddy,hope to hear the official stance from coinsecure in the coming week. What is your general opinion regarding the scaling issues,what is your suggestion to overcome the network issues.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.