Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:16:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are blocks really full with real transactions?
Yes
No, small percentage may be spam
No, a large percentage may be spam

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are blocks really full? (let's have a serious discussion)  (Read 967 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:52:35 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2017, 02:15:15 PM by jonald_fyookball

This question is all about supply and demand.

The supply side is fixed for now (1mb).

Here's what you have to understand about the demand side:   Demand can be (and I would argue already has been) reduced BECAUSE of the limited supply.  

In other words, everyone saw what happened when the mempool got bogged down.  Wait times and fees skyrocketed.  As a natural result, people start using
altcoins (Ethereum is going to the moon right now) or just avoided crypto altogether.  New users were discouraged and old users started looking for alternatives.
Therefore, the demand was reduced.

So when you see less than full blocks, please be honest with yourself and be discerning:  Lower demand is NOT necessarily the same level of demand that there
would be without a fixed supply, but almost certainly due in part to artificial scarcity combined with a growing set of viable alternatives.

---

P.S.  The 'blocks aren't full, its just spam' argument doesn't hold water for me.  Sure, there has been some spam, but consider that:

a) The undeniable long term trend has been toward fuller and fuller blocks
b) Spam or not, its still a full block.  Spam is a recurring phenomenon, so while it may 'external' to the intended system, its an irrelevant point to whether blocks are full.  
c) Bigger blocks are the only way to meaningfully mitigate spam.  There's no way to guarantee its elimination but the bigger the block, the more expensive it is to maintain a spam attack.  

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 06:15:27 PM

It's just my opinion from what i know. I think SegWit is better since it offer ways to solve block size...

Even if that is true (not saying it is or it isn't), Segwit is not here yet, is still being tested, hasn't been signaled by miners...and no scaling has happened yet.

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 06:24:47 PM

Re: Are blocks really full? (let's have a serious discussion)

Whether blocks are full or not is irrelevant. Small blocks are required for a different reason.

You are going to end up with $0 if you acquire fake BTU tokens instead of real Bitcoins.

It isn't my opinion. Rather it is the economics and technological facts. You can choose to pursue reality or delusion, but only reality is what you will get.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: