Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:14:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: With BTC/BU fork around the corner, what would be a good hedge?  (Read 1278 times)
konner (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 06:38:28 PM

I'm buying some LTC lately. No nonsense, no tricks, no b/s coin. Very well known, liquid (always been in the top 10 by volume), much mined and much undervalued (now still close to an all time bottom in price).
It solved the spam attacks very logically years ago.
It seems to me what BTC should have been.

BTC is the gold, LTC the silver. When gold fails go to silver

Trouble is, both Gold and Silver prices are rigged. So if LTC is silver to BTC being gold, they both might have the same fallout once the sh!t hits the fan.
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:07:30 PM

ETH is an option as well, but that one seems a bit too much pumped lately.

The chart looks like possibly $200 coming (nothing is guaranteed of course). The pump had only just begun from ~$20 level.

Also there are apparently a lot of development announcements coming and ongoing. A lot of activity at this time. Many ICOs announced. Raiden LN prototype almost complete. Metro upgrade coming, etc.

Some smaller caps might pump more though.

Are you seriously trying to pump ETH? Didn't you create the ETH paradox thread bashing it for months???
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:23:16 PM

Are you seriously trying to pump ETH? Didn't you create the ETH paradox thread bashing it for months???

What are you advocating I hedge BTC with?

Latest info i've read was late march.

Miners don't care about long term if they sell right away. They didn't activate segwit because they could lose short term profits, even though it could take btc to 2k.

http://raiden.network/
https://medium.com/@brainbot/update-from-the-raiden-team-on-development-process-announcement-of-raidex-6c94b4edcf73#.2s8cxvfbe

Some chart analysis seems to indicate ETH is undergoing a pump for the following reasons and could reach $200. I've traded some BTC to ETH because:

1. Appears likely ETH will be first to ship some sort of beta for a Lightning Networks instant transactions clone. Although LN (and also Ethereum's Raiden) requires centralized hubs (for any reasonable usability and scaling) and thus aren't generalized instant txns (i.e. can't do what my OpenShare project will do), they will fool the n00bs and there will be a lot of hype value.

2. Numerous ETH smart contract Dapp ICOs underway, driving demand for ETH (at least until those ICO devs cash out to BTC but they will likely hold during the current ETH rocket shot because of #1).

3. Hedge against the current Bitcoin Unlimited fiasco, which is creating a confidence problem for Bitcoin near-term (might cause Bitcoin to waffle for a while?). I believe others will also want to hedge BTC and the above #1 and #2 adds reasoning to diversify into ETH.

I still don't think Ethereum can scale decentralized (Casper is technological junk), but it doesn't matter because the FOMO fever of greater fools will be intensified by the hype value. And I don't think Ethereum smart contract apps will attain any real world adoption, rather their only utility is as speculator gambling tokens. Nevertheless the FOMO hype contagion is going to very intense. So this appears to be the best altcoin to diversify into. ETH is following DASH's recent to-da-moon chart pattern. It is just time.

Perhaps you should read the entire post (not just what is quoted) also:

Since you know programming, is Ethereum code as bad as some say? Did you look into it?
I somehow live with the idea Ethereum is too big, too buggy to hold for a long time. The bold area can be interpreted in so many ways.. Smiley

I am shilling for ETH a bit (so factor that in), but I'll try to be objective.

dwgscale11

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:25:41 PM

What are you advocating I hedge BTC with?

Latest info i've read was late march.

Miners don't care about long term if they sell right away. They didn't activate segwit because they could lose short term profits, even though it could take btc to 2k.

http://raiden.network/
https://medium.com/@brainbot/update-from-the-raiden-team-on-development-process-announcement-of-raidex-6c94b4edcf73#.2s8cxvfbe

Some chart analysis seems to indicate ETH is undergoing a pump for the following reasons and could reach $200. I've traded some BTC to ETH because:

1. Appears likely ETH will be first to ship some sort of beta for a Lightning Networks instant transactions clone. Although LN (and also Ethereum's Raiden) requires centralized hubs (for any reasonable usability and scaling) and thus aren't generalized instant txns (i.e. can't do what my OpenShare project will do), they will fool the n00bs and there will be a lot of hype value.

2. Numerous ETH smart contract Dapp ICOs underway, driving demand for ETH (at least until those ICO devs cash out to BTC but they will likely hold during the current ETH rocket shot because of #1).

3. Hedge against the current Bitcoin Unlimited fiasco, which is creating a confidence problem for Bitcoin near-term (might cause Bitcoin to waffle for a while?). I believe others will also want to hedge BTC and the above #1 and #2 adds reasoning to diversify into ETH.

I still don't think Ethereum can scale decentralized (Casper is technological junk), but it doesn't matter because the FOMO fever of greater fools will be intensified by the hype value. And I don't think Ethereum smart contract apps will attain any real world adoption, rather their only utility is as speculator gambling tokens. Nevertheless the FOMO hype contagion is going to very intense. So this appears to be the best altcoin to diversify into. ETH is following DASH's recent to-da-moon chart pattern. It is just time.

Perhaps you should read the entire post (not just what is quoted) also:

Since you know programming, is Ethereum code as bad as some say? Did you look into it?
I somehow live with the idea Ethereum is too big, too buggy to hold for a long time. The bold area can be interpreted in so many ways.. Smiley

I am shilling for ETH a bit (so factor that in), but I'll try to be objective.

LTC? Any other honest coin that doesnt go against what you were preaching here for years? Lol? Not a 72 million premined, unlimited supply, no utility, not a store of value?
iamnotback

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:27:25 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2017, 07:39:01 PM by iamnotback

LTC? Any other honest coin that doesnt go against what you were preaching here for years? Lol?

Am I not allowed to look at the chart and make a short-term gain?

I only have 10 BTC to survive on and no other income or assets. I can't mess around just because of my ideology.

I made my best appraisal of which high liquidity token was likely to outperform near-term, purely for speculative reasons.

DASH, Ripple were not open for consideration.

LTC's (and XMR's) chart looked less convincing to me.

My angel investor has some XMR, so no need for me to buy that (since the BTC I have is his anyway).

I still have 4 BTC.

I reiterated my technical reservations when I wrote about hedging to ETH. So I didn't capitulate on technological issues. I have however shifted to a less unrealistic stance on "immutability".

I also wrote that I hold ETH and STEEM because they are competitors to my project, so it is good to hedge against the (unlikely!) failure of my own. If I believe in the market for my project, then I should believe my competitors also are in the correct market. I see a lot of new projects coming out on Ethereum.
dwgscale11

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:36:01 PM

LTC? Any other honest coin that doesnt go against what you were preaching here for years? Lol?

Am I not allowed to look at the chart and make a short-term gain?

I only have 10 BTC to survive on and no other income or assets. I can't mess around just because of my ideology.

I made my best appraisal of which high liquidity token was likely to outperform near-term, purely for speculative reasons.

DASH, Ripple were not open for consideration.

LTC's (and XMR's) chart looked less convincing to me.

My angel investor has some XMR, so no need for me to buy that (since the BTC I have is his anyway).

I still have 4 BTC.

I reiterated my technical reservations when I wrote about hedging to ETH. So I didn't capitulate on technological issues. I have however shifted to a less unrealistic stance on "immutability".

I also wrote that I hold ETH and STEEM because they are competitors to my project, so it is good to hedge against the (unlikely!) failure of my own. If I believe in the market for my project, then I should believe my competitors also are in the correct market. I see a lot of new projects coming out on Ethereum.

Fair enough..
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:35:42 PM

boo yah!
fkn n000bs on the level!

the BTC v LTC = GLD to SLV ... still in play Wink

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:38:59 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2017, 08:49:43 PM by BitcoinNational

I reiterated my technical reservations when I wrote about hedging to ETH. So I didn't capitulate on technological issues. I have however

junkie i see you

come on let us killit with Acrilic stuff. period over.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:47:59 PM

"I only have 10 BTC to survive on "

FUCK YAU!  welcome to open source.  I am goin to gauge that I can get Indians at half the cost, just so that their cousins don't die of diarrhea.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:53:38 PM

if you need more than $10k for the NXT 90 days ... for shelter ... bandwith ... and other ... = outrageous!
aka ... you can relocate if needed  Cool

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
mining1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:55:27 PM

ETH is an option as well, but that one seems a bit too much pumped lately.

The chart looks like possibly $200 coming (nothing is guaranteed of course). The pump had only just begun from ~$20 level.

Also there are apparently a lot of development announcements coming and ongoing. A lot of activity at this time. Many ICOs announced. Raiden LN prototype almost complete. Metro upgrade coming, etc.

Some smaller caps might pump more though.

The BTC flow started when ETH was around 30$. Below that the value raised mostly because of the EEA. I think the icos will have the least impact on price. The biggest impact will have these, not necessarely in this order: raiden, metropolis, and random positive news that seem to appear out of nowhere because these corporations/institutions will never officially announce they work on ethereum. Like United Nations (on their official site they dont explicitly say ethereum but the picture says it all):
https://insight.wfp.org/what-is-blockchain-and-how-is-it-connected-to-fighting-hunger-7f1b42da9fe#.ubr4yabrj
https://www.ethnews.com/the-un--capitol-hill-learn-all-about-ethereum
https://www.ethnews.com/the-world-food-programme-wants-to-recruit-ethereum-in-the-fight-against-hunger

It's weird that andreas antonopolous, a bitcoin maximalist, wants to talk at devcon 3@ethereum. What do you think of that ?
iamnotback

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:00:27 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2017, 09:14:45 PM by iamnotback

I am goin to gauge that I can get Indians at half the cost, just so that their cousins don't die of diarrhea.

GLHF (good luck, have fun)

Creative people are not fungible.

Open source is good at drawing in the creative people who have a mutual incentive on that body of code. But it doesn't mean that some xerox copied schmucks from Timbuktu can necessarily do that same work as the age ~52 programmer (who has been coding since age 13) who has had his head in blockchains for the past 4 years every waking hour.

No offense intended to any nationality or race (except those who deserve it).

if you need more than $10k for the NXT 90 days ... for shelter ... bandwith ... and other ... = outrageous!
aka ... you can relocate if needed  Cool

The point was I needed to hedge so it doesn't decline. If I am going to take more downside risk then I need to pick the one with the most upside. The only other possible rational choice would have been LTC or XMR. XMR we already have. LTC's chart looks like it is not quite sure what it wants to do.

Also the BTC is not mine, so the more BTC I consume, the more premine I have to give to the angel investor. I am trying to keep the costs down.

I already live in a 3rd world country. My expenses are pretty low, but I mean I am age 52 with two kids. I can't deny certain basic expenses and I have also been paying for health care which I desperately needed.

You know teenage kids also seem to get themselves in trouble often, and that causes expenses. I've already minimized all.

Etc.

Sorry I just can't move to Africa and abandon all of my responsibilities.

It's weird that andreas antonopolous, a bitcoin maximalist, wants to talk at devcon 3@ethereum. What do you think of that ?

He was shilling for ETH before. He basically seems to like any blockchain which seems fundamentally revolutionary and important.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:22:45 PM

uh, no. ltc has pretty much done nothing for years. it's also kinda linked to bitcoin in a way ethereum never will be.

i don't really believe any crypto is a hedge for bitcoin imploding myself.
mining1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:25:10 PM

Yes but bitcoin will not implode. It will be drained of it's value. It will be interesting to know what whales will do. I think those that aren't miners will dump, and those that invested millions in farms may try to stop the flippening, while losing millions in the process. Some of them may lose everything.
iamnotback

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:28:15 PM

Yes but bitcoin will not implode. It will be drained of it's value. It will be interesting to know what whales will do. I think those that aren't miners will dump, and those that invested millions in farms may try to stop the flippening, while losing millions in the process. Some of them may lose everything.

Core and BU need to compromise to avoid a 51% attack but I don't know if they can put that cat back in the bag, given the outlandish statements made by key people in BU.

It really is hard to fathom how the former hardcore 21 million coin limit dudes are going to stomach a mining cartel which has every incentive to mine more than 21 million tokens.

I think the gravity of it all is just starting to hit the community in earnest today.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:30:56 PM

Core and BU need to compromise to avoid a 51% attack but I don't know if they put that cat back in the bag, given the outlandish statements made by key people in BU.

there is very definitely something abnormal with the BU thing compared to previous big block attempts.

the stuff they're coming out with smacks either of people who know something the rest of us don't yet, or they've simply gone a little crazy.
iamnotback

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 09:38:56 PM

the stuff they're coming out with smacks either of people who know something the rest of us don't yet, or they've simply gone a little crazy.

You got me thinking. China wants to stop capital exodus to prevent strong dollar, weak yuan, as this is causing trade war friction.

Could they been wanting to smash the entire crypto-currency sphere, or it is enough for them to train wreck Bitcoin alone.

Would exchange hacks be coming, and perhaps a 51% attack against other altcoins?

That BU Chinaman talked about how they could afford to rent the GPUs to attack Ethereum (which means they could attack Monero also).

Non-sustained difficulty attacks wouldn't be as effective on Ethereum because it has a fast readjustment and Vitalik could HF as necessary (although afaik difficulty attacks can still be effective on fast readjustment, just need to cycle the attack more frequently). Vitalik is bold and could I bet HF to DPoS rapidly if he needed to.

Which tokens are already PoS? Steem. Lisk.

Haven't really thought this out...
iamnotback

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 04:03:53 AM

I think I understand what is going on now.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: