Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:19:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin.org a weakness of bitcoin?  (Read 1358 times)
winnetou (OP)

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 02:39:38 PM

Hello,

the forum is an essential part of the BitCoin community, so I am a little bit afraid.

- Are there any mirror sites for the forum or the project?
- Where will me meet if bitcoin.org gets hacked/offline?
- Is there a namecoin domain for this project?
- Are there technical possibilities to host a forum/a site in a p2p way like the bitcoin blocks, so it isnt centralized?
- If bitcoin.org goes down, how can we get sure that the new one is the right/official one?

greetings

winnetou
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:11:10 AM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:12:13 PM

We are currently centralised around bitcoin.org, but this centralisation isn't very strong: if bitcoin.org went down we'd all manage to find new homes just fine. It's as decentralised as it needs to be, we just don't need to be at this moment in time.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:15:17 PM

This doesn't look like it's used much yet, but at least someone is giving it a shot... http://www.bitcoinforum.com/

Also there's http://witcoin.com and a couple of other non-English language forums around too.

coinonymous

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 02:42:23 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2011, 06:06:59 AM by coinonymous

IMO, yes, ainec.

This risk needn't be due to any technical failure.  In fact, I think hacking or technical failure is not nearly so big a threat as other "hidden" social attacks that could occur.

For example the rules of this forum could come to be so prohibitive towards newbies that it became impossible for new business endeavors to get the word out, or for individuals new to bitcoin to break into the market for whatever it is they are trying to buy or sell.  This could be compounded by the fact that many people prefer to remain anonymous in Bitcoinland (I am one of them, so I know!), and therefore may be forced to become newbies with respect to their new business ventures despite that they might already be regulars with an established identity.  (Admittedly, this is not exceedingly common but it is certainly much more common here than in other communities).

There are other risks of a similar nature.  Some scenarios to worry about:

• Law enforcement authorities raid the offices and homes of many regs on this forum; various indictments are handed out; to stay out of prison everyone is forced to enter plea agreements promising that these forums will strictly adhere to discussion about only activities which are 100% legal in Dallas, TX
  • Anonymous access to the forums (i.e.: via tor) is prohibited due to abuse
  • Fed up with the "rogue" label being applied to Bitcoin, the next generation of regs at this forum decide to implement a bitcoin police whose authority is technocratically enforced by the Bitcoin software.  These "police" collaborate with various central banks throughout the world to ensure that Bitcoin does not run afoul of international legal frameworks
  • The site is firewalled off by various governments (already true i presume?)
  • Shit I can't think of right now

Over time, yes, new communities will, one hopes, take some of the centralizing pressure off of this forum.  For example, in addition to sites like silk road, forbitcoin and btcworld24, eventually one hopes that marketplaces not only for products and services but also ideas, development and collaboration will spring up, outside of these forums.  Although it's reassuring to hear that another forum exists, it's less reassuring in light of the fact that I never knew about it until someone asked this question.

I agree with gigitrix that a complete failure of forum.bitcoin.org would not be a big problem.  But IMO the threat of a cultural failure or a failure of technocracy is very real, quite plausible, and a clear and present danger to the objectives of the Bitcoin project.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:31:36 PM

I think bitcoinsforums.net in particular is becoming more and more well known (I keep seeing it mentioned in other threads here), but there is little incentive for a person to change to a new forum without many other people changing to the new forum as well.  If this forum were to go down completely, for a day or longer, people would find these other forums rather quickly.

But, if you wish to help decentralize, come post on that forum as well.  Every post has the potential to make it more attractive to more people to encourage more people to join.  We just haven't reached that critical mass yet.
coinonymous

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 03:18:24 AM

I think bitcoinsforums.net in particular is becoming more and more well known (I keep seeing it mentioned in other threads here), but there is little incentive for a person to change to a new forum without many other people changing to the new forum as well.  If this forum were to go down completely, for a day or longer, people would find these other forums rather quickly.

But, if you wish to help decentralize, come post on that forum as well.  Every post has the potential to make it more attractive to more people to encourage more people to join.  We just haven't reached that critical mass yet.
That sounds like a good idea.  I'll give it a shot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: