Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My business wants to accept Bitcoins  (Read 555 times)
neutrinox (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 11:42:08 PM

Hi!

I'm pretty new to Bitcoins, but our business would like to start accepting Bitcoin payments.

Our e-commerce platform doesn't support Bitpay, so I'm thinking we could simply do the same thing as we do with wire transfers: the customer is told to wire the amount of the order to out bank account. With Bitcoin we would simply ask the customer to send the required amount to our wallet.

But here's the problem:
How do we match up payments with orders in case there are orders with the same amount? With wire transfers we simply ask the customer to place the order number in the message field. But is there such an option with Bitcoin payments? Can the customer include the information needed to identify the payer with the bitcoin transfer?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:52:40 PM

Create a different payment address for each order.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
neutrinox (OP)

Activity: 182

1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 12:04:22 AM

Thanks for your help!

Does this mean we need to monitor each of these addresses separately for payments? Or can we still see all of them in one wallet?

There is another issue too, which is that we can't (unfortunately) make order-specific changes to the automatically generated order confirmation email that our customer receives. So we can't really automate a system that always gives the client an order specific bitcoin address. If we sent all the emails manually, then it would be no problem.

Do we have any other options? I'm especially interested if there would be a way that would allow us to simply announce one public wallet key for the customer in the automated email he/she gets.

Ps. Cool nickname Smiley I hope you won't stop the motor of the world!
ThinkBitcoin

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:51:14 AM

I think there are (possibly) several options:

1. Use the message system that is built into bitcoin (http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3898/how-does-sign-message-work)

2. Generate a new address whenever a new order arrives, and monitor it.

In both cases I think a program will need be to written (or find an opensource one) for automated transaction to work.
Mr. White

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:54:58 AM

Thats great, the more people and business we get accepting BTC, the more our investment will pay out for all of us... Smiley
toxtom

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Thanks for your help!

Does this mean we need to monitor each of these addresses separately for payments? Or can we still see all of them in one wallet?

I now that with the Armory wallet, you could generate multiple addresses and view them all in the same wallet. I'm sure others do the same thing. 

The downside with accepting BTC seems to be the delay after the person makes the payment before you know for sure that it has been confirmed a number of times.
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:26:28 AM

OP what's your business?

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
JohnGalt

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:43:07 AM

Thanks for your help!

There is another issue too, which is that we can't (unfortunately) make order-specific changes to the automatically generated order confirmation email that our customer receives. So we can't really automate a system that always gives the client an order specific bitcoin address. If we sent all the emails manually, then it would be no problem.

Do we have any other options? I'm especially interested if there would be a way that would allow us to simply announce one public wallet key for the customer in the automated email he/she gets.

Ps. Cool nickname Smiley I hope you won't stop the motor of the world!

Your wallet will generate the address and keep track of it. Since the address is only used for the one order, you don't want to see it again after the order is completed, so you would want a wallet that allows you to archive addresses. I don't know if one exists, but it would be great if there were a wallet designed specifically for this kind use. You can present the unique address for the order at the time of the order and have them pay immediately. Send the confirmation when you see the bitcoins arrive. Then you don't need to send the address in a confirmation email. I guess that still requires customization of your ordering systgem.

Note to software developers: You could make quite a bit of money developing and selling software that does something like this.

vacuum

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:02:17 AM

Something that automatically generated a new address, and then once it got a deposit, transferred it to the main address would be very convenient.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:17:20 AM

OP what's your business?

+ 1

JohnGalt

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 03:41:28 AM

Something that automatically generated a new address, and then once it got a deposit, transferred it to the main address would be very convenient.

That's not how it works. There is no "main address".  You can use a single bitcoin address for your "main address", but the wallet is free to move the bitcoins to another address without telling you any time it needs to. Your wallet keeps track of actual locations of the bitcoins.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: