Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:23:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CEX seems to have abandoned Bitcoin  (Read 493 times)
lukew (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:03:27 PM

CEX in the UK have been accepting Bitcoin for about 3 years both in-store and online for buying and selling.

Browsing the website today and I notice that the Bitcoin logo has gone from the bottom of the webpage, and in the FAQ, and under payment methods. All mention of it has now gone, and I guess they have removed the ATM's from stores too.

Not very promising really, a company that invested in supporting Bitcoin has given up within 3 years. I'd guess the frigging huge transaction backlog, days of delays for confirmation and higher than Mastercard (credit) fees are turning people and business away while the community throws abuse at itself.

Spark payment and crypto systems.
Current status - Pre-alpha

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:18:07 PM

Be the change.

Open a shop at a market, or OpenBazaar, or both, to serve the people who used Bitcoin at CEX.

Vires in numeris
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:25:43 PM

Be the change.

Open a shop at a market, or OpenBazaar, or both, to serve the people who used Bitcoin at CEX.

Well said man, we can all be the change in our respective jurisdictions so that together we can contribute to the development of Bitcoin in the inner cities and places where it's usage has been stopped.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:31:26 PM

CEX in the UK have been accepting Bitcoin for about 3 years both in-store and online for buying and selling.

Browsing the website today and I notice that the Bitcoin logo has gone from the bottom of the webpage, and in the FAQ, and under payment methods. All mention of it has now gone, and I guess they have removed the ATM's from stores too.

Not very promising really, a company that invested in supporting Bitcoin has given up within 3 years. I'd guess the frigging huge transaction backlog, days of delays for confirmation and higher than Mastercard (credit) fees are turning people and business away while the community throws abuse at itself.

We cannot blame the company since they just do what is necessary to protect the interest of the company. With the problems on the coming hardfork many have panicked and shifted into ethereum and dash.  Though it is a sad thing to hear companies backing out of bitcoin but we just need to accept the fact and continue to support bitcoin.
lukew (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:44:39 PM

Be the change.

The issue is, I don't trust it either. I have worked around the price volatility for merchants to accept it, but I see little point right now. Got a server starting up to install Ethereum on, and about to send my Testnet coins back to the faucet so I can get my drive space back.

We cannot blame the company since they just do what is necessary to protect the interest of the company. With the problems on the coming hardfork many have panicked and shifted into ethereum and dash.  Though it is a sad thing to hear companies backing out of bitcoin but we just need to accept the fact and continue to support bitcoin.

I was not too far off looking for companies to trial out my crypto payment system. Got a bunch of hardware here, and the software is coming along. CEX was my first choice as they already accept(ed) Bitcoin, and there would be no expense to them. That idea has gone down the pan! I don't blame them for no longer accepting it, I've invested in a load of payment terminals for a service I am developing and having doubts about Bitcoin now.

ekoice

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:52:16 PM

Be the change.

Well said man, we can all be the change in our respective jurisdictions so that together we can contribute to the development of Bitcoin in the inner cities and places where it's usage has been stopped.
Yes,we should start the change from us.We should promote companies to accept bitcoins.Just like which happened in Deloitte.Its staff had requested to accept bitcoin as payment and so the company installed a bitcoin ATM in one of its restaurants which is exclusively for its staff and have started accepting bitcoin as payment from this week.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:53:01 PM

That's a real pisser. That's one of the extreme few places in the UK you could spend BTC, and I sold plenty of shite to them for BTC too.
naughty1

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:02:55 PM

Although bitcoin has become very popular at the present time, the number of bitcoin acceptors is still very small, it is rare and does not exist in some countries, so whatever happens. Out I suppose we should not blame them, because they are pioneers, who desperately believe in bitcoins. BU appears and BTC is being abandoned, this is bad, the value of bitcoin is down -> the store suffers a big debt.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:03:01 PM

BTC was not made for real economy and that's why the merchants are not interested about it. What merchant would be happy to receive the funds within few days and the value to go up and down? Smiley

BTC is only good for speculation.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:07:50 PM

BTC was not made for real economy and that's why the merchants are not interested about it. What merchant would be happy to receive the funds within few days and the value to go up and down? Smiley

They used Coinbase as a processor. No volatility and payments would've been settled as fast or faster than cards.

But as ever the main issue is that very few people want to spend what they're hoarding.
lukew (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:18:46 PM

Not Bitcoins fault, blame those that only want to use it as a money making tool.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:24:25 PM

I don't see bitcoin gaining traction in daily transactions anytime soon. Online transactions with companies on the other side of the world are a totally different thing ofcourse.

I never believed in bitcoin ATMs to be honest. Why go to the trouble of going to a physical location to buy bitcoin for a huge premium when you can easily buy them from your home or even on the go using your mobile phone? Just doesn't make sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: