Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:47:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Philosophy  (Read 1400 times)
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 08:15:29 PM

Let's elevate the dialog and speak about our ideologies and what philosophic branches we fancy or otherwise?
Here's my main philosophy views and why:

Core:

Epicureanism; because nothing really matters, no matter how important or how serious you think you are, life is just a short journey, eventually we all be forgotten, bury deep in the sands of time. So enjoy your ride, make as much of the World a Paradise it can be; there's no second tickets and most likely no afterlife (at least none of the known afterlife theories makes any sense at all).

Rationalism: because all subjects must be discussed upon reason and information.

Simple things of life

Christianity (New Testament strict - Marcionism); whereas OT is abhorrent and violent, NT removed of its "mystical stuff" can be a good philosophic source.

Opposing

Fascism (including all flavors; Nazism, Communism, Islam, and so on); because there're limits for what and how far you can go on stuck your nose into other people's affairs! Making it worse, most of fascists and similar ideologies believe to have an "one-size fits all" response for all humanity issues, making them far more of a problem than a solution.

Sophism: As the major enemy of Rationalism, Sophism intents that "pretend to be right" by using twisted or broken logic (fallacies) is more important than anything else.

Hypocrisy: Pretty much the same as above but on the realm of "appearing to do good" is more important than actually do any good at all.

Supremacist branches (Nazism, Islam, KKK, BLM and so on); because I believe it to be more fair if everyone has the same rights regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity or whatever insane reason or excuse used to it.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 11:32:43 PM

I've always been seeing hedonism as a great part of a human life. We're animals by nature, we do not require to do all of this we do, it's all just to make our life more easier and comfortable. So, just by that strive towards the technology to make our life more easier leads to the hedonism. We're constantly doing things that involve great work so we can enjoy our lives a little bit more. But in the end, nothing of that actually matters and everything we worked so hard for will be taken away from us in the end, leaving us with nothing more than what we started with, nothing.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 02:11:46 AM

Let's elevate the dialog and speak about our ideologies and what philosophic branches we fancy or otherwise?

Core:

Epicureanism; because nothing really matters, no matter how important or how serious you think you are, life is just a short journey, eventually we all be forgotten, bury deep in the sands of time. So enjoy your ride, make as much of the World a Paradise it can be; there's no second tickets and most likely no afterlife (at least none of the known afterlife theories makes any sense at all).

Rationalism: because all subjects must be discussed upon reason and information.

Simple things of life

Christianity (New Testament strict - Marcionism); whereas OT is abhorrent and violent, NT removed of its "mystical stuff" can be a good philosophic source.

Opposing

Fascism (including all flavors; Nazism, Communism, Islam, and so on); because there're limits for what and how far you can go on stuck your nose into other people's affairs! Making it worse, most of fascists and similar ideologies believe to have an "one-size fits all" response for all humanity issues, making them far more of a problem than a solution.

Sophism: As the major enemy of Rationalism, Sophism intents that "pretend to be right" by using twisted or broken logic (fallacies) is more important than anything else.

Hypocrisy: Pretty much the same as above but on the realm of "appearing to do good" is more important than actually do any good at all.

Supremacist branches (Nazism, Islam, KKK, BLM and so on); because I believe it to be more fair if everyone has the same rights regardless of skin color, religion, ethnicity or whatever insane reason or excuse used to it.

Some of those you listed would probably be labeled as ideologies by other people.

Me personally I think I'm more Epicurean. I believe there's a very small chance that deities and an afterlife exist. I think Epicureanism is a good starting point for a considerate society. Just as you are a visitor here on Earth trying to make as much of the experience as possible before leaving and never returning, so are everyone else. If people would also follow Epicurus' personal approach on things, life would also probably more simple and uncomplicated. Afterall, he and his friends bought a small plot outside Athens and lived simply.

Stoicism does have some good points to it as well though.

Geez, I only have a basic understanding of these and most books I tried to read only end up confusing me. Would have been great if Philosophy is a subject through out primary and secondary school, just like maths.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2017, 05:43:10 AM

I'm Core, but damn you start it off on a depressing tone. "We'll all be forgotten...buried in the sands of time"

Interesting that you put Islam in the Fascism category. Where do other Religions not mentioned go - Judaism, Buddhist, Hindu - ?
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 12:29:29 PM

I'm Core, but damn you start it off on a depressing tone. "We'll all be forgotten...buried in the sands of time"

Interesting that you put Islam in the Fascism category. Where do other Religions not mentioned go - Judaism, Buddhist, Hindu - ?

I look at religions as philosophies, because at the very end that's what they are, and most are imposed philosophies, the more the religion imposes itself into society the more they are a fascist thing. Islam excels on this point.
For Hinduism and Shintoism I strongly oppose their social structure, because I'm egalitarian I don't like any ideology that supports the concept of born rights and untouchables.

As for the depressive sentence, Epicurean demands that we accept our fate and reality as it is, may look depressing but is indeed releasing yourself from false hopes that can be used as a chain to restrain your mind.
Just look at Muslims, I pity them, they live a shitty life and make life shitty to their peers in hope of going to a paradise that, if you think about it, is worse than Hell; all you've is sex and praise everyday an "immortal Gaddafi" with severe self-esteem problems.

@Mometaskers;

Stoicism requires one to be a better a person than I think I'm. So it leaves me on the burden of fearing to fail at end. For that I'm an admirer, but not good enough to be an actually follower.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 12:53:38 PM

Core:

Simple things of life

Opposing

This is an interesting topic you have made. People around me tells me that I am a philosopher and that i need to be shorter when I'm speaking. That could be right, but i don't agree, because i don't see myself as a philosopher. If I would need to pick from what you said I think I would go with Epicureanism. Simply it is most reasonable, and I totally agree with it.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 01:16:49 PM

Core:

Simple things of life

Opposing

That kind of thinking will cause world chaos and disorder in a society where we live in. Let us say that school of thought was right but even though we must enjoy our lives to the fullest since there are no more second trip in this life but we still must uphold order and live the virtues that a man should have. Virtues and morals are necessary to keep everyone safe and live peaceful in a society, without these elements instead of enjoying our life to the fullest our lives will be shorten. Thus if there are no second life we must make earth a heaven to live in and to make it possible living the moral and ethical virtues is the key to this.
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 01:28:03 PM

but we still must uphold order and live the virtues that a man should have. Virtues and morals are necessary to keep everyone safe and live peaceful in a society, without these elements instead of enjoying our life to the fullest our lives will be shorten. Thus if there are no second life we must make earth a heaven to live in and to make it possible living the moral and ethical virtues is the key to this.

Exactly, if you make it a ruthless anarchy at first you'll be destroying others' right for their heaven and in the long term you'll be ruining your own heaven as the society around you crumbles to dust.

|

|
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 01:31:10 PM

That kind of thinking will cause world chaos and disorder in a society where we live in. Let us say that school of thought was right but even though we must enjoy our lives to the fullest since there are no more second trip in this life but we still must uphold order and live the virtues that a man should have. Virtues and morals are necessary to keep everyone safe and live peaceful in a society, without these elements instead of enjoying our life to the fullest our lives will be shorten. Thus if there are no second life we must make earth a heaven to live in and to make it possible living the moral and ethical virtues is the key to this.
I don't agree with you, because I think that virtues and morals are something that you learn from your parents. Life teach us to enjoy it to the fullest, but that doesn't change the fact that something are bad. Buddhism teaches people to enjoy life and many other things. And i don't see chaos in buddhistic countries.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 03:29:43 PM

These two specific things caught my eye as well. There is a religion listed with controversial political movements. Also, while epicurean philosophies tend toward enjoyment, which I agree is necessary for the limited time a human has on this earth, I think the fact that humans are so temporary doesn't indicate hedonism as a winning strategy. Yes, we fade quickly, but you can make an impact, a global impact, a lasting impact, if you try hard enough. You can become immortal, at least, the idea if you, if you are willing to make a big enough change to your environment, despite the cost/effort. That's the beauty of us. Unlimited potential, tempered with the shitty mortal coil.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:35:43 PM

These two specific things caught my eye as well. There is a religion listed with controversial political movements. Also, while epicurean philosophies tend toward enjoyment, which I agree is necessary for the limited time a human has on this earth, I think the fact that humans are so temporary doesn't indicate hedonism as a winning strategy. Yes, we fade quickly, but you can make an impact, a global impact, a lasting impact, if you try hard enough. You can become immortal, at least, the idea if you, if you are willing to make a big enough change to your environment, despite the cost/effort. That's the beauty of us. Unlimited potential, tempered with the shitty mortal coil.

some people say death is the reason why life is precious Smiley

btw. i dont believe we will forgotten except in the case we humans will go extinct - and even in that case depending on how far our technologies and sciences are evolving we could still make an everlasting mark in this universe.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:03:53 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2017, 12:14:44 AM by BCEmporium

You're talking about the figurative death; you're only truly dead once nobody remembers you anymore.
Well, the only way to achieve that "reserved to a pretty few" status is by entering History, but there's a catch, those who will write History hadn't born yet, so you can't control or bribe their judgment or what they will say about you - if anything.

I like to study History, one of this days I was studying my town's History and reading the newspaper about the death a notorious man by 1934. The speeches went around "this town will never forget you". A few days later I went seek for his grave, wasn't easy, had to go by the towns archive to find where it was, but once found it, his grave was a wreck, the cemetery staff was even using it to store junk, like an old traffic cone, broken brooms and other rusty tools.
Looks like the "the town will never forget you" didn't stand for even 100 years.

It doesn't mean you mustn't do your best to make this a better place, this place is as good as it is now due to the effort of those behind you and your descendants may inherit it even better if we work it right.

|

|
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:36:40 AM

I look at religions as philosophies, because at the very end that's what they are, and most are imposed philosophies, the more the religion imposes itself into society the more they are a fascist thing. Islam excels on this point.
For Hinduism and Shintoism I strongly oppose their social structure, because I'm egalitarian I don't like any ideology that supports the concept of born rights and untouchables.

As for the depressive sentence, Epicurean demands that we accept our fate and reality as it is, may look depressing but is indeed releasing yourself from false hopes that can be used as a chain to restrain your mind.
Just look at Muslims, I pity them, they live a shitty life and make life shitty to their peers in hope of going to a paradise that, if you think about it, is worse than Hell; all you've is sex and praise everyday an "immortal Gaddafi" with severe self-esteem problems.

@Mometaskers;

Stoicism requires one to be a better a person than I think I'm. So it leaves me on the burden of fearing to fail at end. For that I'm an admirer, but not good enough to be an actually follower.

True. Stoicism encourages people to endure through suffering and reversals with peace and dignity. I forgot his name but I remember there was a philosopher who used to be a slave. He sort of said that he accepted his lot because there's really nothing he can do about it (at least from their historical perspective). I would have probably killed people or killed my self if I was in his situation. Resignation sometimes require more courage than fighting.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2017, 05:08:31 AM

Ok, you need to explain this to me. Can you?

In what way do Muslims live a shitty life and/or make life shitty to their peers? Give me some real examples. Where in their good book are these tenets preached?

I think you're applying a broad stroke based on the action of just a few.

And you didn't mention Judaism.
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:41:56 AM

Ok, you need to explain this to me. Can you?

In what way do Muslims live a shitty life and/or make life shitty to their peers? Give me some real examples. Where in their good book are these tenets preached?

I think you're applying a broad stroke based on the action of just a few.

And you didn't mention Judaism.

The ideology makes each Muslim the police of the other Muslims, by "punishing" the "wrongdoer" and the bystander if he does nothing. And by wrongdoer we're talking about someone not going by their religion rules, not exactly a broad definition of this word.
Judaism is mainly a by-example religion, Islam is mainly a by-command. By-example means the story is told on "we did this and that", by-command is by direct orders of "you must do this and that". But by referring Marcionism, I'm already excluding Judaism, which is, in Christianity, the Old Testament.

|

|
Rembrandt

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 11:01:52 AM

After years of learning philosophy I've made conclusion that nothing is that constant like sophistry, and now it's only thing which I believe.
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 11:20:05 AM

After years of learning philosophy I've made conclusion that nothing is that constant like sophistry, and now it's only thing which I believe.

Just a bit of hypocrisy and a nice smile and you'll be the perfect politician around.

|

|
kidoseagle0312

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 04:56:16 PM

Core:

Simple things of life

Opposing

This is an interesting topic you have made. People around me tells me that I am a philosopher and that i need to be shorter when I'm speaking. That could be right, but i don't agree, because i don't see myself as a philosopher. If I would need to pick from what you said I think I would go with Epicureanism. Simply it is most reasonable, and I totally agree with it.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 01:53:02 AM

I don't agree with you, because I think that virtues and morals are something that you learn from your parents. Life teach us to enjoy it to the fullest, but that doesn't change the fact that something are bad. Buddhism teaches people to enjoy life and many other things. And i don't see chaos in buddhistic countries.
And if the parent's don't teach us anything, what should we do? Be immoral all our lives because we never had a proper example, or maybe work and shape ourselves into decent human beings? I wasn't taught much by my parents, so I can relate.

The ideology makes each Muslim the police of the other Muslims, by "punishing" the "wrongdoer" and the bystander if he does nothing. And by wrongdoer we're talking about someone not going by their religion rules, not exactly a broad definition of this word.
Judaism is mainly a by-example religion, Islam is mainly a by-command. By-example means the story is told on "we did this and that", by-command is by direct orders of "you must do this and that". But by referring Marcionism, I'm already excluding Judaism, which is, in Christianity, the Old Testament.
They have too many rules in their lives. Don't do this, don't do that everywhere they look. Wear this, don't wear that, eat this, don't eat that, pray, eat, sleep, beat your wife, rape a child, build a bomb, kill the infidel... Did that escalate too quickly? Grin

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███