Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:13:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could cryptocurrency holders be attacked by IRS?  (Read 3550 times)
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 07:48:41 PM

i went into crypto with the expectation of paying taxes if there was a huge profit. same as anything else. anyone who thinks it's a miracle tax free product is an asshole who deserves everything they get.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ethersphere

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 07:55:16 AM

It's definitely much easier to evade taxes and fake profit streams using cryptos though. I doubt its easy to trace where the money came from unless you sell and withdraw it all in one go from one bank account.

ETHERSPHERE
⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬⥬ HIGH ROI SOCIAL ETHEREUM GAMES ⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪⥪
BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:38:16 PM

If you earn BTC or any other altcoin because of work, mining, speculation on exchanges, etc you have to declare it as any other income.
If you don't do that sooner or later you may get caught, simple.

this.

just pay your taxes when you exchange to fiat (assuming you profit, not lose) and relax.

ps im in the usa, other countries may differ.
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 06:41:34 AM

I am wondering. Could laws change and eventually the IRS and whatever agency combined might go and scour all the blockchains and try to tax the shit out of everybody they presume to be holding cryptocurrency?

Privacy based coins that actually work would be safe but what about BTC its self without the use of those mixing services, current ETH, and XEM for example that has no intentions for privacy at all?

I think it is possible for Bitcoin holders or investors to be investigated and even attacked by the IRS especially if there is a leakage in the system. The government has all in its power to regulate all those who earn money, even those done online. All the government has to do is to create online measures to effectively regulate online business transactions. This move may cost much to the government but it will definitely help ensure correct collection and/or remittance of tax. 
LilibethSantos

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 06:44:34 AM

If you want to be completely safe, don't ever involve bitcoin transactions with your real name or finances. Purchasing bitcoin with your credit card, Paypal, or bank account is just asking for red flags in the future.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 07:04:14 AM

If you want to be completely safe, don't ever involve bitcoin transactions with your real name or finances. Purchasing bitcoin with your credit card, Paypal, or bank account is just asking for red flags in the future.

i was asking myself lately about what they do when someone pay in bitcoin to buy something from another country, can they track something like that?

i'm fairly certain that the owner of that online shop, don't need to claim anything to the other country even if he sell item to people outside of his country...but i'm not sure

i think some traces are left behind in this case, and paying directly in bitcoin may not be all that safe from being taced back
morpheus305

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 01:54:54 AM

If you are holding the cryptocurrency in any kind ,but you are not withdrawing it, or converting the crypto to fiat, then you are safe.
You cannot pay the tax from something that you haven't sold, but you just own.

Isn't that actually false? Don't you have to pay capital gains even on crypto to crypto gains?
savushkinTA

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:32:09 PM

In March of 2014, the agency issued an "IRS Virtual Currency Guidance" detailing the tax requirements for cryptocurrencies.
TagaMungkahi

Activity: 364
Merit: 118

Bounty Campaign Manager? --> https://goo.gl/YRVVt3

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 03:59:46 AM

If you are holding the cryptocurrency in any kind ,but you are not withdrawing it, or converting the crypto to fiat, then you are safe.
You cannot pay the tax from something that you haven't sold, but you just own.

Isn't that actually false? Don't you have to pay capital gains even on crypto to crypto gains?

The basis of capital gains is the money that You converted cryptocurrency into fiat which the Government has the right to geberate tax from it. Government doesn't have any right about cryptocurrency thing unless you convert it to fiat.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: