Bitcoin Forum
November 23, 2017, 05:25:50 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who likes pod miners?  (Read 24212 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:25:19 AM

http://solo.ckpool.org/workers/1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_TERMINUS

Whoops I must have forgot to mention I have a new pod miner in development, the Terminus R808. It still uses BM1384 (8 of 'em, hence the name) that should run 100GH off a 12V3A brick and 140GH from a 5A brick. Haven't fully tested yet but it should run that 100GH without a fan (turn it on its side for improved convection), and it has adjustable core voltage and built-in 80C thermal shutoff. At four inches square, it's the smallest not-stick Bitcoin miner made in what, two years?

Everything works except the main Vcore power is misbehaving so I'm redoing that part from scratch. The new layout is already done and I'll be sending off for prototype PCBs tomorrow. It also already works with VH's current cgminer build.

My test unit (running off a hacked external buck) is hashing away at 250MHz (110GH) as seen in the link above.

Selling seconds 2Pacs for a friend's med bills - PM for details
Currently in development - 20-120GH USB stick; 700GH 75W pod; 4TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now A blockchain platform for effective freelancing
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 1932

A new tool for prediction https://bitvol.info/

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:28:26 AM

Whoops I must have forgot to mention I have a new pod miner in development, the Terminus R808. It still uses BM1384 (8 of 'em, hence the name) that should run 100GH off a 12V3A brick and 140GH from a 5A brick. Haven't fully tested yet but it should run that 100GH without a fan (turn it on its side for improved convection), and it has adjustable core voltage and built-in 80C thermal shutoff. At four inches square, it's the smallest not-stick Bitcoin miner made in what, two years?

Everything works except the main Vcore power is misbehaving so I'm redoing that part from scratch. The new layout is already done and I'll be sending off for prototype PCBs tomorrow. It also already works with VH's current cgminer build.

My test unit (running off a hacked external buck) is hashing away at 250MHz (110GH) as seen in the link above.

needs a fan to cool it?

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:50:36 AM

Nice...is the voltage adjustment (potentiometer?) with that tall black 'structure' on a green base?
I have a 70W14A block (from Superpag)  Grin
from left: mini usb? next to the right-Ethernet looks like some alt power connector, maybe? USB B type?
I have some usb A to USB B cords from legacy equipment.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:19:40 AM

Lookin' sweet!
Ok, I'll wait and won't hack a hub to supply moar power for 2Pacs's/Compac... Wink
@ Biodom, yes, is a barrel connector for power. USB is coms only as I recall.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:24:42 AM

Lookin' sweet!
Ok, I'll wait and won't hack a hub to supply moar power for 2Pacs's/Compac... Wink

actually, i would think that there is a mini USB on the left for coms, but both USB B and barrel are for power, but let's await a word from the man.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:29:10 AM

Lookin' sweet!

actually, i would think that there is a mini USB on the left for coms, but both USB B and barrel are for power, but let's await a word from the man.
Well until he pipes in, with him saying
100GH off a 12V3A brick and 140GH from a 5A brick
pretty sure you aren't gonna get 12v from a USB jack Wink

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:31:49 AM

It's USB-B. Legacy? Surely I'm not the only one who still uses B. I prefer it to all newer versions. But there's also a mini on there for folks who'd rather use that. I like giving people options.
12V power from a barrel connector, so any kind of 5V supply will be basically useless. This draws zero power from the USB bus. USB for power on a 30-60W device makes no sense. (Please don't bring up USB-C, that's clearly not what's going on here.)

Currently in development - 20-120GH USB stick; 700GH 75W pod; 4TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 02:31:57 AM

Lookin' sweet!

Well until he pipes in, with him saying
100GH off a 12V3A brick and 140GH from a 5A brick
pretty sure you aren't gonna get 12v from a USB jack Wink

well, sure, brick is a barrel, but I recall that USB power might have been an option (..and I was wrong).
maybe brick for superpag is a wrong one (i just checked), but Plugable's brick has 12V 5A coming out in a barrel, so why not?
i am not talking about using the hub itself.
QuintLeo

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:37:54 AM

Zoomhash used to sell 12v 10A bricks with a barrel connection for use with Gridseed "80" units (1 per board so 2 per unit).

I think I've seen higher, but that 10A is pushing the limits on a single barrel connection IIRC.

Where are the mounting holes though?

Dibblah

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:35:57 AM

Congratulations, it looks really good!

Selling these directly on ebay would seem to be possible these days, given that Eruptors (!) are going for upwards of £20 each.
leowonderful

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 10:34:35 AM

This unit is looking absolutely amazing. I'm even more surprised this miner can be run passively cooled- what's the temps like on the miner if you do so? If I ever got my hands on one I'd definitely put a fan on it, that's for sure Tongue

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 11:50:02 AM

Wow! Nice update! Can't wait to get mine.  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
olseh

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:01:49 PM

Hells yeah! Looks the goods man!!!

Former username "heslo"
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:45:29 PM

I changed my original design a bit because the ability to run 100GH passively cooled was specifically requested; this enlarged the topside heatsink and added the bottom sink. The original plan was to have the heatsink topside only and smaller with a mounted 50mm fan. As it is, a fan will be optional. My test unit has a single about 60mm CPU cooler fan and only the topside heatsink and it's comfortable at top speed (300MHz). The board does have a fan header (12V only, no throttling) but it's not populated on the one photographed, guess I forgot.

The core voltage is intended to allow up to 300MHz stable, which should about max out a 60W brick. I could build it to push more power if you had a higher-current brick, but above about 300MHz the BM1384's efficiency curve gets pretty steep so your heat per additional hash gets crazy - note the difference from 100 to 140GH is already almost doubling the power use.

I probably won't sell directly on eBay. I really don't like dealing with people, I like designing and building and not being bothered. I'll sell on here where people tend to be more intelligent and articulate than the average internet hooligan and let CrazyGuy, HolyScott, MacEntyre and their colleagues take on the grumbling masses.

Also, I intend to keep this formfactor around. If we can ever get Bitfury stuff working, there'll be a 6-chip Bitfury Terminus R606. It'll be orange.

nuanicaj

Activity: 71

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:51:06 PM

what will these units cost?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 12:54:32 PM

Straight from me, I'm thinking $65. Resellers will get volume discounts as my way of saying thanks for handling all the customers I don't want to spend time on.

There'll also be the option to trade S5 parts, like I had set up in hopes of the Biggie pod. There'll be no Biggie pod, but there will be this guy. The Amita full-size pod line, for which the Biggie would have been a form-factor flagship and the Bitfury version will have 11 chips, is still planned but won't see the light of day until Bitfury chips cooperate.

AJRGale

Activity: 761

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 03:05:47 PM

Ohhh Yeah, this is what I like to see! how big are these? can I shove 2 inside an old rock-box?
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 03:59:54 PM

Ohhh Yeah, this is what I like to see! how big are these? can I shove 2 inside an old rock-box?

see OP=4 inches square, not sure re height.
At first i thought that i see a reflection of the top sink on the table, but, apparently, there are identical sinks on top and bottom with bottom one being a bit blurry on the pic.
Kuulani

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 04:12:14 PM

Nice work Sidehack, They look awesome! But... does it have blinking lights Grin
AJRGale

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 04:13:40 PM

see OP=4 inches square, not sure re height.
At first i thought that i see a reflection of the top sink on the table, but, apparently, there are identical sinks on top and bottom with bottom one being a bit blurry on the pic.

you see, I read over this about 5 times, I was looking for numbers, not words and it was 1am too when I type that out, 3am now lol

just pulled out an old board, and cannot find my ruler.. so yeah, I say 1.75 of them can fit
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 04:38:36 PM

Unfortunately you're right, too wide to fit two. If you cut a slice in the side of the case such that you could slide it in with the heatsinked side inside and the connector side sticking out, you could put two in there back-to-back (mirrored, more or less, with one hanging out the left and one hanging out the right side) and still use the fans. But you couldn't just put two whole pods in there.

Of course it has blinky lights! Who do you think I am, a guy who doesn't put blinky lights on miners? Pfft.
But yes, the power LED is blue and there's a white flash when it returns a share. I didn't use the same RGB LED as on the Compacs because it's apparently not balanced, everyone sees the flash as a different color (some white, some blue, some purple) so this just uses a blue LED and white LEDs.

Lincoln6Echo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:03:03 PM

Please Do this with 16nm Chips!  Grin

▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
|
|
          ▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
unthy
gt_addict

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:29:48 PM

Looking good. Is there any plans for 6pin power connection? Only because ive got lots of 6pin leads left over from various antminers that inwas hoping to use for the futures pods Smiley

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:35:09 PM

Do you see one in the picture?

AJRGale

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 05:58:17 PM

Please Do this with 16nm Chips!  Grin

keep spamming sidie on it, make him get the chips faster off the company that is just ignoring him!
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 06:28:34 PM

here is a link for nice power cable.

lights up blue

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.aspx?productid=82-12675

Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to : 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
lanegg

Activity: 26

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 06:29:06 PM

Nice! Will the PCB have mounting holes pre-drilled/cut, or is the intent to have one of the heat sinks sitting on the table?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 06:33:20 PM

First off, I just said I'd make one with 16nm chips. Second, spamming me isn't going to get anything done any faster. I have the chips, just we're not yet able to make them work. It doesn't help that the guy doing the hardware and the guy doing the software are two time zones apart. As soon as we figure out the last bits to talking to the chips we'll be in business. But since I've been working on designing and redesigning this pod, and manufacturing over a thousand 2Pacs, and doing everything else around here, I'm a shade behind on ironing out the remaining kinks for Bitfury communication. But believe me, once that hurdle is leapt we'll be in business. THEN we can work on getting Bitfury's attention, which shouldn't be much of a problem since they've sworn up and down I'll be able to buy chips.

There isn't a lot of room for mounting holes. You can't really see it from the picture but the board's fairly busy. Maybe we can do something clever with stick-on rubber feet?

For anyone wondering, this is a half-scale pod kept intentionally simple. The fancy stuff like fan throttling and software voltage and six-pin jacks and screwholes for legs or cases or whatever are all gonna be there on the big one. So don't ask if such-and-such feature is gonna be on this, because it isn't.

lanegg

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:07:05 PM

There isn't a lot of room for mounting holes. You can't really see it from the picture but the board's fairly busy. Maybe we can do something clever with stick-on rubber feet?

I've got a 3D printer and a half-assed understanding of most things. If you send me the CAD files of the PCB I can try to whip something up. PM me if you're interested.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:13:28 PM

Not sure exactly what you're asking for. If you want the PCB layout, no because I make and sell these things for a living and I'm not giving that away. If you want a 3D mechanical something-or-other, I don't have that. I'm very pencil-and-paper. I can tell you it's a four-inch-square 1/16" thick slab.

lanegg

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:21:19 PM

Not sure exactly what you're asking for. If you want the PCB layout, no because I make and sell these things for a living and I'm not giving that away. If you want a 3D mechanical something-or-other, I don't have that. I'm very pencil-and-paper. I can tell you it's a four-inch-square 1/16" thick slab.

No, not anything proprietary. The mechanical drawing would have been enough if it was an option. I was mainly wanting to get the dimensions for the cap and anything on the other side of the heat sinks that aren't in the picture. That way I could come up with some sort of air duct system/stand for the pods and know what sort of clearances I had to work with. I might be able to come up with something based off the specs you gave me.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 07:55:31 PM

No, not anything proprietary. The mechanical drawing would have been enough if it was an option. I was mainly wanting to get the dimensions for the cap and anything on the other side of the heat sinks that aren't in the picture. That way I could come up with some sort of air duct system/stand for the pods and know what sort of clearances I had to work with. I might be able to come up with something based off the specs you gave me.

interesting, however, an enclosure might trap heat dissipating by fins, so maybe enclosure around PCB with fins protruding out?
then, it would look similar to some graphic cards.
heck, maybe, once he switches to BF chips, one can envision a "hanging" design similar to what people do with GPUs on metal racks.
then, a big fan could take care of a multitude.
lanegg

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 08:14:04 PM

interesting, however, an enclosure might trap heat dissipating by fins, so maybe enclosure around PCB with fins protruding out?
then, it would look similar to some graphic cards.
heck, maybe, once he switches to BF chips, one can envision a "hanging" design similar to what people do with GPUs on metal racks.
then, a big fan could take care of a multitude.

I am working on something now for stacking two or four Superbpag hubs side by side and mounting a 80mm or 120mm case fan on top of them (the image below is for the four hub version). I was sort envisioning something similar for the pods (although oriented differently to account for the second heat sink). The idea being by forcing the air to flow across the heat sinks instead of just flowing in the general direction of the heat sinks we can get better cooling.

http://imgur.com/ze8Q6RE

For those not grasping the idea behind the image, there will be four hubs side by side with 2Pac's in each hub. The body shown in the image is looking from the top through to the bottom. The body will sit on top of the hubs with each of the 2Pac's in their respective walled off area. The bottom is open and there will be a fan on top so air will be pulled from the bottom to the top. There will be an unpictured body that goes on the bottom that will support each of the USB hubs and keep them in place and provide support for the pictured body. I am still early in the design phase so it may be hard to envision.
gt_addict

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:01:25 PM

For anyone wondering, this is a half-scale pod kept intentionally simple. The fancy stuff like fan throttling and software voltage and six-pin jacks and screwholes for legs or cases or whatever are all gonna be there on the big one. So don't ask if such-and-such feature is gonna be on this, because it isn't.

Gotcha! I only remember you saying about the pods having 6pin jacks and possibly being able to be daisy-chained, that's all.

Going to be nice to finally see a decent pod miner

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:12:31 PM

Here's a breakdown of my "product families":

Compac - USB stick miner, basic control system
Terminus - half-scale basic pod, same basic control system
Amita - full-scale pod, advanced control system
TypeZero - S1/3/5 refit board, same advanced control system

BM1384 Compac and 2Pac are a thing, Terminus is about to be a thing. I don't plan on making anything bigger with BM1384. I should have one of each product made with Bitfury chips, and development will progress from smaller to larger scale since each step builds on the progress from the previous step. The Amita will be the feature-rich pod, with software voltage setting and daisychain power and all the trimmings.

zone2

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:36:24 PM

Will the new pod miners work with vthoang's cgminer fork?

Any estimates when Terminus, Amita, and TypeZero will be ready for purchase?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 09:46:53 PM

From the first post:

It also already works with VH's current cgminer build.

As for the rest - no. Terminus R808 needs more work as stated previously; BF16 anything is dependent on solving problems and that can't be predicted. Best I can say is, "as soon as VH and I possibly can".

Eagleone

Activity: 97

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:25:39 AM

Can we start prepaying?
QuintLeo

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:29:00 AM

Looking good. Is there any plans for 6pin power connection? Only because ive got lots of 6pin leads left over from various antminers that inwas hoping to use for the futures pods Smiley

I've seen a few adapters to go from a PCI-E 6-pin power cable to 3 (or more) barrel connectors.

Used to be pretty widespread back in the Gridseed "pod" and "blade" days.

Speaking of which - 2 of these would fit quite nicely on the 80 "blade" heatsinks if they could be attached somehow, though I can't tell if the pod has a heatsink on the bottom as well as the top one.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 12:39:25 AM

The pod has identical heatsinks above and below. The top one will mate directly onto the chips, the bottom will have a thermal pad between itself and the PCB to avoid shorting local ground planes (like jumping heatsinks on an S7).

I'll put up mechanical specs on the heatsinks and screw positions at some point so y'all can start playing. The entire bottom side of the PCB is empty except where through-hole components (jacks and whatnot) protrude as necessary, but the topside clearance is pretty specific. The heatsink is 1.813 inches (1 13/16) wide and there's at most 1/8 inch clearance between the heatsink edge and parts you really don't want the heatsink to touch.

As for prepay, I'd really rather you didn't. If the current prototype were up to par I'd say go for it, but since I've had to redesign (and new proto PCBs have been ordered) I won't take any money until the design is proven. The general size, shape and jack placement won't change though so you can start planning around that if you want.

By the way, the hacked-up prototype is now running 300MHz/132GH. In the morning another one will be in the mail to VH so he can improve driver support locally.

Thanks everyone who bought 2Pacs and provided miscellaneous support because that's what's allowed the current pace of product development. Just think what it'd been like if I had VH code and today's resources back in 2015.

nuanicaj

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 08:11:27 PM

Here's a breakdown of my "product families":

Compac - USB stick miner, basic control system
Terminus - half-scale basic pod, same basic control system
Amita - full-scale pod, advanced control system
TypeZero - S1/3/5 refit board, same advanced control system

BM1384 Compac and 2Pac are a thing, Terminus is about to be a thing. I don't plan on making anything bigger with BM1384. I should have one of each product made with Bitfury chips, and development will progress from smaller to larger scale since each step builds on the progress from the previous step. The Amita will be the feature-rich pod, with software voltage setting and daisychain power and all the trimmings.

I have both S1 and S5 on the side line, waiting for TypeZero  with the S5 beaglebone would that be the controller or raspberry pi?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 08:29:31 PM

As has been mentioned repeatedly over the last couple years, there will be no proprietary controller required. If everything works as planned we'll be running USB to the boards so just about anything with USB will do. Since S1, S3 and S5 all use different controllers that's the best way to support all 3.

leowonderful

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 09:50:50 PM

As has been mentioned repeatedly over the last couple years, there will be no proprietary controller required. If everything works as planned we'll be running USB to the boards so just about anything with USB will do. Since S1, S3 and S5 all use different controllers that's the best way to support all 3.
Since you're running the boards with USB would it also be possible to run these boards off of a computer? Just curious. I've swapped out most of my lower tier miners to SP20s and it wouldn't be possible to mount blades in there.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 10:33:45 PM

You want some more SP20s? I've got some gathering dust.

Anything with USB that can run cgminer. Minimum specs to keep up with the workload are of course TBD.

Would it be possible to shift discussion back to more pod-specific considerations? The S1 refit project has been discussed and documented up the butt for right around two years and very little that isn't chip-specific has changed in that time so the answer to almost every possible question can be found in at least three other places.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 10:36:24 PM

Since you're running the boards with USB would it also be possible to run these boards off of a computer? Just curious. I've swapped out most of my lower tier miners to SP20s and it wouldn't be possible to mount blades in there.
Considering the USB is for com's only and the pod uses 12v for power: yes. If you can run cgminer on it anything will work from RasPi on up...

leowonderful

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 12:43:41 AM

You want some more SP20s? I've got some gathering dust.

Anything with USB that can run cgminer. Minimum specs to keep up with the workload are of course TBD.

Would it be possible to shift discussion back to more pod-specific considerations? The S1 refit project has been discussed and documented up the butt for right around two years and very little that isn't chip-specific has changed in that time so the answer to almost every possible question can be found in at least three other places.
No thanks, too loud for me and it's real hard to find fans that actually keep air moving and keeps the miner cool and quiet. Maybe in the future but not now.

Considering the USB is for com's only and the pod uses 12v for power: yes. If you can run cgminer on it anything will work from RasPi on up...
Wasn't related to pods Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2017, 08:40:43 PM

nice to read you sidehack.
but are you developing your hown fanless asic mner???
really awesome!!!
i hope you let known us when it will be ready to buy.
Why BM1384 instead of BM1387???
I know who BM1387 is 28nm and is rellay more relaiable....
but you choose 1387 just for this?
Terminus R808.. Terminus, It has something to do with The walking dead series???
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
'BTC MULTI-WALLET SOON'
▬▬▬▬ Download WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

███▀▀
▐▐▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▐▌
███▄▄
▀▀███
▐▌▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▌▌
▄▄███
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 08:57:07 PM

nice to read you sidehack.
but are you developing your hown fanless asic mner???
really awesome!!!
i hope you let known us when it will be ready to buy.
Why BM1384 instead of BM1387???
I know who BM1387 is 28nm and is rellay more relaiable....
but you choose 1387 just for this?
Terminus R808.. Terminus, It has something to do with The walking dead series???
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Try reading his threads....
The 1384 is the last chip from Bitmain that can easily salvaged and reused! All others after it are damn near impossible to work with due to the smaller pitch and issues on removing the heatsink adhesive.

However - he does have miners on the drawing board using NEW 16nm chips from BitFury.

Morguk

Activity: 529

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 09:44:25 PM

This is amazing, been waiting for a pod since I first got into lotto mining. Glad I never got a U3 in the end, those things were awfully unreliable.

Really excited to get my hands on Terminus! Sidehack and co you're the best!

hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 932

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 02:27:49 PM

I bought 10 Compacs, 10 2Pacs, soon as these are ready I'm in for 10 Terminus as well Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 02:37:54 PM

I should have revised prototype PCBs in about ten days. Mind you that's the same time 2Pac batch 2 starts production so I might not get to them right away, but I'll do what I can. Hopefully this time they work as expected. That buck circuit is very disappointing, especially since it was going to be used on the Amita and TypeZero stuff as well. If the one as designed on the Terminus is up to snuff I'll probably carry that design forward to bigger models instead. It's about the same cost but more complex, however it should also handle the heat from pushing high current a bit better which is a plus for larger hungrier boards.

hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2017, 03:20:10 PM

Terminus Ready Grin
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2017, 04:19:14 PM

hum!!!
it seem raspberry pi model 3???
or what else???
really interested!!!
did you have checked how much power drain at the wall?
I mean the raspberry pi more therminus?

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
'BTC MULTI-WALLET SOON'
▬▬▬▬ Download WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

███▀▀
▐▐▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▐▌
███▄▄
▀▀███
▐▌▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▌▌
▄▄███
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 07:04:09 PM

Both MacEntyre (bitshopper.de) and CrazyGuy (ASICPuppy.net) desire that these Terminus pods had a case or housing.

I'm figuring on adding screw holes to the PCB to help facilitate this, but I have not the resources to manufacture a case worth selling.

Anyone care to help out with this?

wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 07:46:37 PM

Both MacEntyre (bitshopper.de) and CrazyGuy (ASICPuppy.net) desire that these Terminus pods had a case or housing.

I'm figuring on adding screw holes to the PCB to help facilitate this, but I have not the resources to manufacture a case worth selling.

Anyone care to help out with this?

ASICPuppy appears to only sell a few accessories, and Bitshopper throws 404 errors all over the place. I wouldn't worry about accommodating those guys. A case would just increase cost and restrict airflow.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 08:17:33 PM

Right, except those guys are two of my biggest customers, between the two of them responsible for over half the entire first batch of 2Pacs (and a majority of Compacs ever built). So anyone care to help out with this, instead of criticize needlessly?

HagssFIN

Activity: 728

Electrician. Mining since 2014.

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 08:26:57 PM

Bitshopper.de is working just fine for me.

Great work, looking good!

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 08:48:50 PM

Right, except those guys are two of my biggest customers, between the two of them responsible for over half the entire first batch of 2Pacs (and a majority of Compacs ever built). So anyone care to help out with this, instead of criticize needlessly?

okay   how about this

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kitchen-drawer-organizer-collection-in-bronze/230825

they are cheap  Since you know you measurements  would these fit?

if they do not  fit there are 20 variants on amazon.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:22:50 AM

Well, you could always do something like folks did with BFL Singles...
LOT's of airflow there & look pretty cool ta'boot.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:42:37 AM

No offense but I'm not clicking that link. Google scripts aren't allowed on my machines.

From BFL's playbook though, it wouldn't be too hard to make a tube with a fan on one end, or Jalapeno-like box with fan on top.

I wonder about just a folded steel tube with a C cross-section, with a fan on one end, wrapping around the miner with the jacks exposed. Would need a few tabs for screwing into the board, some for the fan. Not too difficult for someone with the right equipment.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:44:57 AM

I'll see about grabbing it and putting it on my Imgur act. The direct search link was several lines long Wink
Here ya go: The Single

Innards of a Jala` Cube

Morguk

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 11:52:28 AM

I need the pod! What's the latest ETA?

isoneguy

Activity: 490

eat bacon!!!

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 09:19:04 PM

Quote from: NotFuzzyWarm
Try reading his threads....
The 1384 is the last chip from Bitmain that can easily salvaged and reused! All others after it are damn near impossible to work with due to the smaller pitch and issues on removing the heatsink adhesive.

Have you tried using rubbing alcohol to remove the adhesive? ..You just apply a bit and heh...Rub whatever is on there off. That's what we used at Nvidia to clean chips.

remember remember...
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 09:45:18 PM

The black epoxy won't come off under rubbing alcohol or acetone. The white epoxy is acetone-soluble. I don't know of any epoxy that'll dissolve in rubbing alcohol, nor would I respect it if it did. But that's not really the point, or at least not the entire point.

As has been mentioned a lot of times before, having to heat 50-60 individual heatsinks and pop them off and then pop all the backside heatsinks off and then soak the board in an industrial solvent and scrub off epoxy just to get the boards to a state S5 boards are already, and then you have to strip the chips and then reliably install them on something being careful around the 0.4mm-pitch pads and traces, really REALLY isn't worth the trouble. Don't even argue. It's not going to happen. I already put up more effort than most sane people would to get BM1384 products out there using stripped chips.

So anything newer than BM1384, I'm working on BF16 dev for that because I can actually get new chips instead of wasting buttloads of time jacking around with someone else's crap trying to harvest chips out of a hairball of metal and glue.

Were you cleaning an actual thermal adhesive, or just regular heatsink grease?

isoneguy

Activity: 490

eat bacon!!!

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 10:06:42 PM

Quote from: sidehack

Were you cleaning an actual thermal adhesive, or just regular heatsink grease?

Used it for everything...High percent...Not sure the exact brand or solvent... isopropyl maybe or peroxide?.. Something flammable, we needed chemical clearance to use it..
But that's just business politics.

Gasoline might also work... Heh, just being creative Wink

remember remember...
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 03:52:55 AM

Just got shipping notification for the revised Terminus PCBs, only a few days after I expected to already have them in hand. So not too bad. Hopefully they're delivered by week's end and, double hopefully, the new regulator design works as expected.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 04:57:57 AM

Just got shipping notification for the revised Terminus PCBs, only a few days after I expected to already have them in hand. So not too bad. Hopefully they're delivered by week's end and, double hopefully, the new regulator design works as expected.

they will be nice items when they release to the public.

Morguk

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 11:59:09 AM

Good news. Can't wait for it!

nuanicaj

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 12:53:08 PM

Nice hopefully you can use the same pcb to run the 16nm chips can't wait for that..
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 01:36:23 PM

No, that will not be possible for a whole lot of reasons.

thehypnominer

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 02:33:41 PM

That's great news. Please keep the updates coming!
xxooss

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 05:04:17 PM

Count me in!
vh

Activity: 497

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 01:20:25 AM

Here's a cgminer preview of the three models running happily together.

And a view of them sprinting along the upper end of their voltage and frequency, with a firm amount of power and air to keep them going.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 01:24:03 AM

Nice. For the 2Pac and Terminus, that's higher frequency than I've ever run.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 01:41:22 AM

Sweet. Terminus full tilt is about the speed I think was running my s1's at the end of their lives, they were down clocked to 175-225GHs. Bet it takes what, 1/4 the power?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 02:07:37 AM

You uh, you sure about that? Top overclock for an S1 was about 205GH. A good undervolt would see something like 140GH from 170 watts or so. The Terminus here is probably drawing around 65 watts, so about one third.

Or did you mean 175-225MHz, which would yield 90-115GH/s? Around there, a good undervolt for S1 would see something like 100-130W I would guess (it's been about two years since I did an extensive study on S1 undervolting) and at those hashrates the Terminus would see more like 35-40 watts.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:26:07 AM

By Jove yer right. Just looked at the s1 manual. Top they show is 250GHs, lowest is 150 so the uc had to have been at the low end. No matter what, Terminus smokes them Smiley

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:40:27 AM

Jeez, 250GH would be almost 500MHz. That'd be smokin' hot. S1 hashrate is GH/s = MHz*0.512 (64 chips, 8 cores per chip).

But yeah, Terminus is basically an undervolted S5 chunk. Way better chips than the S1 had. Hopefully this week I'll have time to work on Bitfury dev some more because the BF Terminus will be able to put up almost 400GH at the top-end when it exists someday.

xxooss

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 06:06:28 AM

very nice vh!  Is that a new version of cgminer? I cant get the one on the gekko front page  to work.
Morguk

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 01:06:48 PM

Very nice to see the terminus can hit 200GH! How high can it go until it needs a fan?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 01:53:06 PM

You did notice that's the "instantaneous hashrate", not the steady-state, right? At 325MHz the average hashrate is 143GH. If you can push one to 450MHz without it melting down (might be possible with "pencil mod" to the main regulator since the required voltage is out of range) it'd hit 200GH but it'd be pretty smokin' at that speed. Like over 100 watts kind of smokin'.

Morguk

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 02:09:35 PM

Haha no I didn't notice that. I'm happy with anything >100GH TBH, but 150GH would be great.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 02:17:28 PM

It should be able to run 100GH without a fan, off a 12V 3A brick. It'll sure be toasty. The release version will have an overtemp shutoff set to 80C with a temp sensor in the middle of the chip field right under the heatsink.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 03:29:39 PM

You did notice that's the "instantaneous hashrate", not the steady-state, right? At 325MHz the average hashrate is 143GH. If you can push one to 450MHz without it melting down (might be possible with "pencil mod" to the main regulator since the required voltage is out of range) it'd hit 200GH but it'd be pretty smokin' at that speed. Like over 100 watts kind of smokin'.

don't spill ALL the beans, please...BTW, where is that regulator [on the pic], incidentally?  Grin
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

That regulator is the one that's being replaced on the new version. VH and I both have hacked-up boards with external main regulators spliced onto them so we could experiment with drivers and such at full hashrate because the onboard was by no means robust.

Eagleone

View Profile
April 19, 2017, 07:45:15 PM

THANKS!!! Cant wait
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 01:51:18 PM

Go go pod miners!!!!
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 01:57:33 PM

I would not mind  point them at a few pools.

mmpool.org  for one.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 01:26:06 AM

The new Terminus is definitely better, but I'm still having issues at higher power levels. My test board is sitting comfy at 150MHz (66GH) 26W including fans but it doesn't like pushing higher than that without locking up the string - usually that means voltage sag. Hopefully it's something that can be ironed out without another PCB redesign.

BobLawblaw

Activity: 742

Gayest Black Cowboy on BitcoinTalk / Power-Top

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 01:42:57 AM

I like you (not in that way), and think you are a really swell forum-member doing great things in the community.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, please.

Would love to pick up one of your Bitfury-based pods if/when they materialize.

Good luck !
Yuna517

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 05:00:37 AM

sidehack -

I've read every post in this thread, and also your 2pac thread (among others).
i'm thoroughly impressed.
have you seriously created robots/'minions' to help strip chips from board and drill holes to increase your productivity (rhetorical)?

after a lot of lurking, I've created an account to subscribe to this thread, and will be eager to follow your progress with the terminus. you said you're not into big/"1000w" machines, but this has some real potential!
nuanicaj

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 12:57:59 PM

The new Terminus is definitely better, but I'm still having issues at higher power levels. My test board is sitting comfy at 150MHz (66GH) 26W including fans but it doesn't like pushing higher than that without locking up the string - usually that means voltage sag. Hopefully it's something that can be ironed out without another PCB redesign.

the BF pod miner is what I want, maybe that will be the solution with lower power requirements.

-EOS-

Activity: 148

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 03:14:57 PM

Great work Sidehack!!

Can't wait to pick up a few of these when available..
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 09:12:17 PM

Further tests are required to probe the limits and - more specifically - the reasons for those limits, but my version-2 Terminus is currently on Kano.is pushing 250MHz. I've touched 275MHz on it, where the hacked model can see 325MHz from the same voltage, so there's still some limitation in the regulator that I need to play with. VH hooked me up with some improved stepping code that smooths things out a bit, and I did some jimmying on the hardware itself.

Oh and I should probably test the overtemp protection too one of these days.

If I can get this guy stable and reliable at 300-325MHz, I'll send off for what I hope is the final version PCB. That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that. Some of that's gonna have to wait a bit though because manufacturing and also manufacturing.

However - right now, I'm very pleased.

kipper01

Activity: 188

1KippERXwH1PdBxKNt1ksgqh89WBv6CtWQ

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 11:05:38 PM

Further tests are required to probe the limits and - more specifically - the reasons for those limits, but my version-2 Terminus is currently on Kano.is pushing 250MHz. I've touched 275MHz on it, where the hacked model can see 325MHz from the same voltage, so there's still some limitation in the regulator that I need to play with. VH hooked me up with some improved stepping code that smooths things out a bit, and I did some jimmying on the hardware itself.

Oh and I should probably test the overtemp protection too one of these days.

If I can get this guy stable and reliable at 300-325MHz, I'll send off for what I hope is the final version PCB. That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that. Some of that's gonna have to wait a bit though because manufacturing and also manufacturing.

However - right now, I'm very pleased.

Can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these.
qctechno

Activity: 278

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 11:37:20 PM

That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that.

Good for 3D printer  Smiley

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 03:20:26 AM

I was thinking more like metalwork, but hey you works with what you gots and my background is in construction.

Case anyone cares, 250MHz means 110GH. http://www.kano.is/worker.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_terminus2

Hopefully I can do some more tweaking tomorrow and get it up to full speed.

in2tactics

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 04:03:42 AM

I was thinking more like metalwork, but hey you works with what you gots and my background is in construction.

Case anyone cares, 250MHz means 110GH. http://www.kano.is/worker.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_terminus2

Hopefully I can do some more tweaking tomorrow and get it up to full speed.
I was going to ask that very question, but I figured you had already stated it somewhere else.

Active... 2x AntMiner S7-LN and 5x AntMiner U1
Collecting Dust... 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
Coin Interests... BTC, LTC, DOGE
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 04:15:22 AM

Once I have samples of the new PCB in hand and they're tested to work, I may do a "limited first run" sale of them, maybe a dozen or so, to put toward a full batch.

Good thing about the Terminus design is, about 80% of the components transfer over from the 2Pac. It's basically if you wired 4 2Pacs together, the only thing you'd need to replace is the main Vcore regulator. So I already have enough of most things to get started at least. The biggest hindrance, as always, is chips, but people have turned out with S5 boards lately that put me well over the top for the 2Pac batch and, if the really big one finally works out, I'd have enough chips for several hundred Terminus already. Since 2Pac manufacture delays were traced pretty much directly to ASIC availability and reliability of installation, both of which are now solved, Terminus manufacture should go much much faster overall.

Once Bitfury 16nm stuff starts talking enough for a Compac, it'll be almost trivial to port over to a Terminus as well. The most complex things will be communication and power; power is being solved right now, and communication will be a direct copy from the stickminer.

If the Terminus prototype can be made to run 300MHz (132GH) stable and reliable off VH's new freq-step code, I'm calling it good. Though I should probably run it in a quiet environment and see if the fans are annoying. That's something people care about, right?

gt_addict

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 09:36:22 AM

I cant answer for anyone else but being a quiet pod miner would always be beneficial for me. But im happy woth the noise range upto your modded S7LN.

in2tactics

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 10:53:00 AM

Once I have samples of the new PCB in hand and they're tested to work, I may do a "limited first run" sale of them, maybe a dozen or so, to put toward a full batch.

Good thing about the Terminus design is, about 80% of the components transfer over from the 2Pac. It's basically if you wired 4 2Pacs together, the only thing you'd need to replace is the main Vcore regulator. So I already have enough of most things to get started at least. The biggest hindrance, as always, is chips, but people have turned out with S5 boards lately that put me well over the top for the 2Pac batch and, if the really big one finally works out, I'd have enough chips for several hundred Terminus already. Since 2Pac manufacture delays were traced pretty much directly to ASIC availability and reliability of installation, both of which are now solved, Terminus manufacture should go much much faster overall.

Once Bitfury 16nm stuff starts talking enough for a Compac, it'll be almost trivial to port over to a Terminus as well. The most complex things will be communication and power; power is being solved right now, and communication will be a direct copy from the stickminer.

If the Terminus prototype can be made to run 300MHz (132GH) stable and reliable off VH's new freq-step code, I'm calling it good. Though I should probably run it in a quiet environment and see if the fans are annoying. That's something people care about, right?
It sounds like you are making good progress. If you are still accepting the same payment methods as you did for the stick miners, I would love to purchase and test two of your "limited first run" sale units, or only one unit if you want to be able to spread them among more folks.

Collecting Dust... 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
xxooss

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 04:06:52 PM

quiet is good but stability is more important to me...just my 2 coppers. Also great job progressing along...can hardly wait to get one to do my fraggle rock test on. lol
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 04:53:41 PM

<raises hand> Sign me up for one Smiley

Eagleone

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 05:57:44 PM

Id love one
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 06:33:38 PM

I think there'll be room for it but no guarantees yet, but I'm gonna look into putting a small buck on there instead of a linear regulator for 5V needs (USB, LEDs etc). That would increase the cost slightly but would also increase efficiency slightly - and the real significance is that would increase the 5V current capacity without something catching on fire, so I could put a header on there that one could use to power a Pi without requiring a second adapter. Be handy for a more standalone setup, especially if your Pi had wireless, which I think Biodom among others has been pushing for.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 11:44:08 PM

I think there'll be room for it but no guarantees yet, but I'm gonna look into putting a small buck on there instead of a linear regulator for 5V needs (USB, LEDs etc). That would increase the cost slightly but would also increase efficiency slightly - and the real significance is that would increase the 5V current capacity without something catching on fire, so I could put a header on there that one could use to power a Pi without requiring a second adapter. Be handy for a more standalone setup, especially if your Pi had wireless, which I think Biodom among others has been pushing for.

looking forward to using this gear.

qctechno

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 12:37:24 AM

In line for 1 or 2. I like the idea to be able to power a Pi, clean setup

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 01:44:20 AM

Couple more tweaks to the buck and I just hit 325MHz. It's running off a Pi right now, gonna take it home and see how it fares - see if the fan's annoying, if temps stay reasonable, whatever.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 01:54:25 AM

the idea to put a header on Terminus for pi sounds awesome...what kind of header it could be?
pi has micro-usb and GPIO
pi zero W has just micro-usb, but has GPIO pinout

for regular pi (powering):
https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-do-i-power-my-raspberry-pi
for pi zero W (GPIO options):
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-zero/gpio-header-options

aka lots of options for tinkering  Grin

Personally, i like the idea of using pi zero W because you can just toss the whole thing in room's corner and not bother with much of ethernet cabling.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 02:07:13 AM

Probably just a standard 4-pin header with 5V and ground, should be easy to make that work.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 02:21:35 AM

the idea to put a header on Terminus for pi sounds awesome...what kind of header it could be?
pi has micro-usb and GPIO
pi zero W has just micro-usb, but has GPIO pinout

for regular pi (powering):
https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-do-i-power-my-raspberry-pi
for pi zero W (GPIO options):
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-zero/gpio-header-options

aka lots of options for tinkering  Grin

Personally, i like the idea of using pi zero W because you can just toss the whole thing in room's corner and not bother with much of ethernet cabling.

I am running my 2pac and my compac on a sff hp m700 it has an i7 in it and I am cpu mining XMR with it.  that turns a very small daily profit.  so it ends up being a little better then a rasp pi.

I make a few pennies a day   running the pc mining the cpu.  and I lose a few mining the sticks.

but the sticks are pointed at mmpool.org which gives the tx fees to the person thatchiest a block.  So basically I have a free chance on every block to win its tx fees.

adding a few pods would get me up to maybe 300gh  and still kind of be in the free shot at tx fees on every block made.

If I go solo i don''t earn on the hash.  but mmpool.org lets me earn some btc and the cpu lets me earn some xmr

Morguk

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 10:09:43 AM

Hi Sidehack, I'd love to be in this first test batch. Please save me one!

Regarding noise, it's definitely important but I like the previous recommendations you gave for the compac. If it's under X frequency probably no fan, if over X then probably need a fan. I'll be using a fan so noise is not important to me.

james50a

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 09:59:54 PM

Id probably be interested in one as well. would be personally interested to see how far the chips could be pushed ignoring normal thermal constraints
thehypnominer

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 10:05:38 PM

I'm most certainly interested in one (or three!) I've already got a fan mount printed up to try out.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 04:28:28 AM

So 2Pac assembly is going so fast now that tomorrow I'll be out of a job again until I get more chips (don't worry, they're already on the way) so I should be able to spend more time on Terminus R&D.

Now my original plan was to build a pod miner in the 50-100W range, and the Terminus was going to be a half-scale pod in the 30-60W range. But my current prototype is already good for more than 60W. Thing is, the full-size BF16 pod was intended to have 11 chips (I know that's a crazy number but there are reasons) and the recommended clock for 'em is at about 6W each, so an 11-chip pod would push around 75-80W at the top anyway. Shoot, the Terminus can handle that heat already.

So here's what I think I'll do.

I think I'll continue the Terminus formfactor as the defacto pod miner, with an expected power range 30-80 watts. However, it'll take the Amita product name that I've always intended for a pod miner. If you know the source material, it makes more sense for the Compac and Amita to be small and the Terminus and TypeZero (the S1-5 refit boards) to be big anyways.

So I'll look into the Amita pod having 11 chips, and a Terminus with 22 chips in more of a New R-Box type thing running up to 150W or thereabouts. The TypeZero boards will have 33 chips per board, so 66 per miner.

I don't know about y'all but that makes sense to me. Anyways I'll be spending most of this week ironing out the remaining kinks with the BM1384 pod, whatever it wants to be called.

gt_addict

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 05:46:25 AM

Sounds like things are going full speed. Nice to hear 2pac production has been ironed out and the minions training finally paying off  Cheesy

Cant comment on the naming of the products as I cant remember what they all come from (although i know its been mentioned somewhere 🤔).

transmark

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 06:41:10 AM

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu202/sidehack128/Terminus_R808.jpg

is this selfmade?
If so, how did u do it? can u maybe explain a little im very interested
in2tactics

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 09:06:31 AM

It sounds like things are working themselves out. The target wattage range sounds good.

-EOS-

Activity: 148

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 11:00:15 AM

I'm really looking forward to picking up a few of these.

Keep up the good work Sidehack!
nuanicaj

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 05:27:11 PM

I want the BF16 Miner for compensation. Smiley

Thanks for the hard work, I have 10 2pacs on ckpool.  oh well.
Morguk

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 09:16:45 PM

Sounds like a good plan Sidehack. I certainly want the Amita as I need to keep on the lower side of power consumption.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 11:17:18 PM

So 2Pac assembly is going so fast now that tomorrow I'll be out of a job again until I get more chips (don't worry, they're already on the way) so I should be able to spend more time on Terminus R&D.

Now my original plan was to build a pod miner in the 50-100W range, and the Terminus was going to be a half-scale pod in the 30-60W range. But my current prototype is already good for more than 60W. Thing is, the full-size BF16 pod was intended to have 11 chips (I know that's a crazy number but there are reasons) and the recommended clock for 'em is at about 6W each, so an 11-chip pod would push around 75-80W at the top anyway. Shoot, the Terminus can handle that heat already.

So here's what I think I'll do.

I think I'll continue the Terminus formfactor as the defacto pod miner, with an expected power range 30-80 watts. However, it'll take the Amita product name that I've always intended for a pod miner. If you know the source material, it makes more sense for the Compac and Amita to be small and the Terminus and TypeZero (the S1-5 refit boards) to be big anyways.

So I'll look into the Amita pod having 11 chips, and a Terminus with 22 chips in more of a New R-Box type thing running up to 150W or thereabouts. The TypeZero boards will have 33 chips per board, so 66 per miner.

I don't know about y'all but that makes sense to me. Anyways I'll be spending most of this week ironing out the remaining kinks with the BM1384 pod, whatever it wants to be called.
Or... To keep things simpler, maybe follow <heresy, I know> BFL's Single (or is it 2x of them together?): keep with the cube Terminus design and offer a dual version: Gotta admit -- it does look good Tongue

As for Pi power, I agree header is best. Found that since regular micro usb cables use 2 data, 2 pwr setup and either my old RiPi-1 dinna know how to handle it or whatever but RiPi was not happy driving an Avalon dongle. Switched to a charger cable that I assume has all 4 wires tied to power at the standard USB-end and all is well. Using a wired-to header - possible issue solved.

in2tactics

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:05:51 AM

Sounds like a good plan Sidehack. I certainly want the Amita as I need to keep on the lower side of power consumption.
I have to keep my power consumption down as well. I recently shutdown my whole mining operation with the exception of my 2PAC miners due to a change in my power billing. I was going to be paying $0.23/kWh and that simply is not worth it. I effectively dropped from 3kW to 18W of power consumption.

ZedZedNova

Activity: 334

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:01:14 PM

I cant answer for anyone else but being a quiet pod miner would always be beneficial for me. But im happy woth the noise range upto your modded S7LN.

I agree. A quiet pod miner would be very nice.

I have a sidehack modded S7LN doing it's thing about 3 feet away from my desk and it's no problem at all noise-wise. I can watch TV and have normal volume conversations with no problems.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 04:32:15 PM

Well, news. Not good news.

That first Terminus board I got working decided to give up the ghost.

I built a second one to test with and it never worked. So I built a third and it also never worked, exhibiting the exact same symptoms. Worked on both of 'em, couldn't get either to behave. So I went back to the first one, and suddenly IT started doing the same thing as well, after working just fine under extensive poking and prodding for about a week.

So, I don't know what's going on.

I'd previously asked Optimizer for advice, but now I've asked him if he wants to just design the buck himself. He'd expressed interest in the project's power integration in the past, and as that is his area of expertise, I'm hoping he'll be able to put together something good in not a lot of time and that the compensation I'm offering is acceptable.

If he's willing, that'll free me up to focus on a few other things in the meantime. Every part of the pod except the main regulator worked from the original design back around January, so ironing out that one piece has been a substantial delay that I no longer care to fiddle with. Maybe now I can work out some of the BF16 problems.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:18:30 PM

What range of string voltage/current are you looking at? You know those Intersil all-in-one modules will probably fit the bill. Also see that an Intel sub Altera is making same thing but geared more for feeding Intel's new line of FPGA's https://www.altera.com/b/enpirion-em21xx-digital-powersoc-family.html

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:37:51 PM

It'd be good for getting to market faster, but those things cost at least 3 times as much as building from discrete parts, pretty much equalling the cost of the entire rest of the device. Not sure I can justify that.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 05:48:06 PM

Well I do have that Intersil ISL8225MEVAL3Z 30A evaluation board I got a while back. Accepts 0V to 20V - yes it says zero - and delivers up to 30A with 0.6v to 6v output.

It is actually a dual 15A in one package - nice touch for multiple strings maybe? However, the eval board is setup as single paralleled output for the 30A.

Want it donated for ya to play with?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 04:05:33 PM

So, Optimizer has agreed to work on the main power for Bitfury stuff. That should have wide enough deployment to justify the cost of outsourcing, since he's a Real Engineer™ and deserves to be compensated accordingly.

In the meantime I'll be taking NotFuzzyWarm's advice and using a prebuilt power module for the BM1384 Terminus. I've found one that has decent specs and is also not super expensive, and several will be on a parts order sent out today so I can next week start experimenting with it. If it works as well as I hope, I'll take time to draw up a final-version PCB with that block integrated and send off for an order. Depending on how cleanly the module can be hacked onto existing version of the board, I may have some prototype models available for purchase.

Upon further thought, I do actually really like the Terminus name and general color scheme ideas better so I'm gonna keep that around for pod miners.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 02:43:58 PM

good to see some joint brain power here.

optimizer has made some good gear for me still works to perfection since December.

ab1jx

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 07:31:51 PM

If you didn't already have your hands on a few of these things I'd suspect they didn't really exist.  The page at http://bitfury.com/products#16nm-asic sorta sounds evasive and run on a shoestring looking for investors.  No datasheets?  I found this Google translation of a page in Russian from 2013 that sounds like they expect the chips any day 4 years ago.  https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=https://forum.bits.media/index.php%3F/topic/2464-all-kiev-prodazha-asic-chips-diy-kits-miners-magazin-bitbonanzaco-ofitcialnyi-dis/&prev=search  Almost sounds like the whole thing could be a scam.  They're claiming 100GH/s per chip with an efficiency of 0.06J/GH.  I'd like to see 100 watts worth of those.  I probably couldn't afford it.

I've been RTFMing back discussions.  Got myself a 2pac from HolyBitcoin, it's sitting here idling along at 150 MHz, just came yesterday.  Slushpool says 39 years to payout (A whole BTC or what?).  Meanwhile my $62 used Gridseed has made 0.1357 LTC.  It's hard to judge how the hash rates and difficulties and market values on the currency work out.

Power connectors, what about just a pair of binding posts on standard 3/4 inch centers?  You can put up to about 14 gauge wire into them, don't have to solder, you can use double banana plugs as quick disconnects, stack them, run 20 amps through them.  It seems like a misuse of USB connectors, like the problems microusbs have had in Pis and Kindles, trying to push 2 amps through them.  I look at the problems people have had with hubs that boil down to not enough power and it's like power problems in Pis.

If you're going to build something around a Pi I'd definitely feed power in through the GPIO, you might be able to make use of some of those pins too.  Temperature and voltage control, switching, but that would make the whole thing dependent on using a Pi.  I'm just lurking and waiting for the 16 nm stuff to start coming out.  Seems like the best thing to do with this stuff is forget about it and let it run for a month or so, stop looking every 10 minutes.  It's like watching paint dry.
HagssFIN

Activity: 728

Electrician. Mining since 2014.

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 07:35:11 PM

Bitfury 16nm process node chips are a real deal, check out my review link in my signature.

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 09:34:54 AM

I'm sure Bitfury has had these chips for quite sometime but wanted to only deal with BIG money,that has kinda dried up,so they now are lowering their standards to just above the home miner scum line.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 11:49:54 PM

Well I don't know about you guys, but today has been a pretty good day for me.

One reason being I just got in about 300 2Pacs worth of chips, another reason being selling 350 2Pacs. Not to brag or anything. But it's great news because that puts money in the bank that I can use for dev funding! Which was the whole point!

Anyways, the other big reason is the sample buck modules arrived today. I've got two hacked-up Terminus pods running stable at 275MHz. I think the current is just a shade too high (especially once it warms up) to run 300MHz off that module, but so far I'm quite pleased with the performance. Gonna take one home with me even.

So I'm gonna make some adjustments to the PCB to integrate that module and a few other changes and hopefully by end of next week I'll have a short batch of prototype boards inbound. So that's pretty cool.

thehypnominer

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 12:15:24 AM

That's very good news indeed!
qctechno

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 02:16:22 AM

Cut & paste good ref design and save the day.
Nothing work without stable power.

Well done!

in2tactics

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:38:57 AM

Awesome! It is nice to hear you are having success.

ab1jx

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 04:03:53 AM

I'm definitely interested in 100 watts worth of the 16 nm, maybe the BM1384 version if they're going to be a few months.
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 04:20:36 AM

I had a nice day.

I rearranged the solar array with buysolar

Half done.

I took back 2 compacs and gave him a gpu.

So I now have three compacs and a 2pac running on klintays 19 port hub.

I moved optimizer's 2980 breakout board that has been running two s9s since dec from buysolar's basement up into the array.

Tomorrow we will move the avalons and a s7 and 1/3 of a s9. All into the array.

I will move some gpu rigs out of my garage.

This will let me run sidehacks gear in my garage for the summer.

Looking for a few pods.

spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:40:46 PM

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I want 3 16nm pod miners RAWRRRRRRRRRR HASH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Hash man!
Morguk

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:46:00 PM

Nice one Sidehack, always good when things go right. I'm glad you kept the Terminus name, I do prefer it Smiley Fingers crossed I can be in on the first samples.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:55:33 PM

Yeah but it's better when things go right in February instead of May.

Morguk

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 07:54:14 PM

True dat.

truckinusa

Activity: 536

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 12:39:52 PM

I would really like one of these.  How do I get on the list or prepay?

bitJob                       ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
                ▄▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████
         ████████████████████████████████████████  ██
         ▀██████████████████████████████████████▀  ██
          ▀▀██████████████████████████████████▀▀  ████
                                                 ▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
Archi348

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 01:17:51 AM

bitten by the crypto mining bug again.  Looks like a sweet project!   Sign me up for a couple of these when they are available.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 01:25:44 AM

All y'all wanting to be on the waiting list will have to wait a bit longer. I won't start a waiting list until it's proven ready. Once I announce that, make sure to come back and let me know.

Even though I proved base functionality of the new version last week, I don't have a new PCB down yet. Last week I also got orders for the entire rest of this batch of 2Pacs at the same time my assembly minion decided to bail so I'm a bit backed up. Gonna be making time this week to test out a few new things I want to integrate into the Terminus final design, but I also got about 500 2Pacs to assemble post-haste without my trusty ass*cough*istant to help so it's definitely juggling time.

truckinusa

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 01:57:48 AM

All y'all wanting to be on the waiting list will have to wait a bit longer. I won't start a waiting list until it's proven ready. Once I announce that, make sure to come back and let me know.

Even though I proved base functionality of the new version last week, I don't have a new PCB down yet. Last week I also got orders for the entire rest of this batch of 2Pacs at the same time my assembly minion decided to bail so I'm a bit backed up. Gonna be making time this week to test out a few new things I want to integrate into the Terminus final design, but I also got about 500 2Pacs to assemble post-haste without my trusty ass*cough*istant to help so it's definitely juggling time.
Are you hand soldering everything?  I wouldn't mind a PCB I could assemble. 

▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:08:25 AM

No, that would take years. But there's still a lot of manual processes and a buttload of assembly steps, being as it's a double-sided board with salvage chips, USB jack, heatsink and stock voltage setting with three testing steps.

truckinusa

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:09:44 AM

No, that would take years. But there's still a lot of manual processes and a buttload of assembly steps, being as it's a double-sided board with salvage chips, USB jack, heatsink and stock voltage setting with three testing steps.
Are you farming out the work?  I was just curious.  Maybe you have your own pick and place or whatever they call it?

▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:11:55 AM

I do have my own pick-and-place. I farm out nothing. If I sell it, it was designed and manufactured in-house. Were this not the case, I wouldn't be talking about using up all my time with manufacturing.

truckinusa

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:15:32 AM

I do have my own pick-and-place. I farm out nothing. If I sell it, it was designed and manufactured in-house. Were this not the case, I wouldn't be talking about using up all my time with manufacturing.
That sounds cool.  Wish I was that set up.  I just assemble little kits now and then and limited surface mount stuff since its too small.  I use a toaster oven.  I try to keep up with stuff I learned in school as an instrumentation tech.

▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:27:34 AM

My pick-and-place is pretty mediocre, but I've been working with it for almost two years so I've figured out how to make it behave. I do actually use a kitchen convection oven with one of those controller kits for all my reflowing. Started out with an IR oven that came with the robot; it's handy because it's big but it also realy sucks. Hot and cold spots everywhere, really bad regulation. I was looking for a basic convection reflow oven and found one I kinda liked, but it cost about four times what I thought it was worth. The one I got now cost $250 in parts plus one day of work and the boards come out beautiful, way better than that big IR oven on its best day.

Thinking about building another one. Pretty handy. Probably won't get another robot anytime soon. Got my eye on one I like, US-made, but the base model with some necessary extra feeders costs something like six times what I paid for my car. We're not there yet.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:49:14 PM

Okay, show of hands. What would people rather see - a 6-pin jack for power (in addition to 2.5mm barrel), or a USB-B for signal (in addition to USB mini)?

Recall the max power on this guy is about 75 watts.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:51:48 PM

6-pin PCIE connector.

Morguk

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:24:27 PM

6-PIN PCI-E over USB-B for me. Just make sure the barrel jack stays.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:43:13 PM

6 pin! I have several server PSUs that run plenty quiet and I can spare plenty of PCIE connectors for a Terminus, whereas I have only one barrel adapter that runs at only 60 watts. Keep up the great work, I've been lurking for a while here and it looks like things are getting there Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:54:48 PM

I would like 6-pin for power, have lots of 350watt PSU's salvaged from old Dell OptiPlex's.
Spill

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:25:41 AM

Would like the 6pin also.  Cool
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:54:55 AM

Well heck. I guess I'm the only one still uses them nice sturdy B jacks.

6-pin it is.

I'm working right now on prototyping a simple controller that'll handle fan throttling, overheat shutdown and string lockup recovery. If the string is running unstable, like the buck is at capacity and briefly trips for overcurrent or overheat, or the chips are cold-started at a threshold speed, the string risks a lockup so the micro will detect that condition and force a reset. Problem with a reset is, the chips default to 200MHz and there's a decent chance that's not the speed you want. VH has some recovery code I need to test out which will detect this condition and restore the user-set frequency. Should be pretty handy for long-term stability especially at threshold voltage/speed combinations, for those of you concerned about efficiency or pushing the peak overclock.

So if anyone's wondering, dev work for that is what's holding up the Terminus schedule, and dev work for that is delayed by 2Pac manufacture. But we're getting there. I've already got a test board set up.

in2tactics

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 07:03:56 AM

I vote for the 6-pin PCIE over the USB-B. I would suggest dumping the barrel connector altogether, but apparently it is quite popular. Is there a particular reason you are using USB-mini over USB-B?

QuintLeo

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 10:58:15 AM

Okay, show of hands. What would people rather see - a 6-pin jack for power (in addition to 2.5mm barrel), or a USB-B for signal (in addition to USB mini)?

I've no clue what a USB-B is, certainly don't have anything that plugs into one.

I'm also wary about the whole concept of running 75 watts through a 2.5mm barrel - gridseed "80" blades at 40-50 watts were marginal enough - but I still have a couple of 10A 12V bricks from those days.

6 pin should be definite.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 11:20:34 AM

I've no clue what a USB-B is, certainly don't have anything that plugs into one.

I'm also wary about the whole concept of running 75 watts through a 2.5mm barrel - gridseed "80" blades at 40-50 watts were marginal enough - but I still have a couple of 10A 12V bricks from those days.

6 pin should be definite.

It's the weird-shaped huge one, I only have one at my house and it was used on a DVD reader that broke a while ago(search on Google for a better idea, this is the best I can explain it). PCI seems to be the safer platform, agreed.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:05:22 PM

A terminal block.. LOL! (But really..)
btckess

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:20:41 PM

A terminal block.. LOL! (But really..)

you laugh but that's exactly what i plan on doing lol
https://www.adafruit.com/product/368

*edit*
also using this https://www.adafruit.com/product/2897

Helpful? donate:1MwiBvfw6mTMHHiC3y8eRGj4WGXqGba6n2
philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:31:25 PM

6-pin for power  as I have  idle platinum  and titanium psu's

this is a usb mini?  just don't want the shitty micro

it should be good enough

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:51:40 PM

I would much rather go with "sturdy" than "fancy" which is why I tend to like USB B. I've never liked Micro, that won't even be an option.

Anyone saying toss the barrel jack, y'all aren't thinking clearly. This is an entry-level device designed to be quiet and entertaining. The guy who wants one sitting on a shelf somewhere lottery-ticketing away isn't gonna want to strap an old ATX to it to get 50 watts of 12V when a cheap and silent brick will do.

I'm not building this for the pros. It's for the n00bs. I like that there's a learning curve for operating it, because I really like when people actually learn things. Folks these days really seem to hate thinking, and I despise that attitude. But I'm not interested in forcing newbies to deal with something ugly, jankety or loud just because people who can already hack it like it that way.

In any case, thanks for the input. USB-B is out, 6-pin is in.

I wanted input on this decision because the Terminus isn't planned to be a one-off product. I want to build a Bitfury in the same formfactor, so I'd like to keep things physically compatible wherever possible.

spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 01:53:51 PM

I would much rather go with "sturdy" than "fancy" which is why I tend to like USB B. I've never liked Micro, that won't even be an option.

Anyone saying toss the barrel jack, y'all aren't thinking clearly. This is an entry-level device designed to be quiet and entertaining. The guy who wants one sitting on a shelf somewhere lottery-ticketing away isn't gonna want to strap an old ATX to it to get 50 watts of 12V when a cheap and silent brick will do.

I'm not building this for the pros. It's for the n00bs. I like that there's a learning curve for operating it, because I really like when people actually learn things. Folks these days really seem to hate thinking, and I despise that attitude. But I'm not interested in forcing newbies to deal with something ugly, jankety or loud just because people who can already hack it like it that way.

In any case, thanks for the input. USB-B is out, 6-pin is in.

I wanted input on this decision because the Terminus isn't planned to be a one-off product. I want to build a Bitfury in the same formfactor, so I'd like to keep things physically compatible wherever possible.

Build a Bitfury??  Like with their chips kind of thing?

Thanks for keeping the home mining alive!
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 03:12:38 PM

Um, yeah. That's been the plan the whole time. The 2Pac and everything were just to build resources for that project. I've had Bitfury 16nm samples since last year.

ab1jx

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2017, 11:26:17 PM

What size barrel jack?  That's the only problem I have with those, there are at least half a dozen different sizes.  But yeah, my Gridseed has USB minis and barrels.  My MP3 players have all had minis.  Phones, Kindles, Raspberry Pis all micro, very problematic.

USB B is fine, whatever it has it's going to need some cable.  USB A/B cables come with lots of stuff, they reach almost throwaway proportions.  Every printer and flatbed scanner I've got came with one.  And then there were ones we were throwing away at work so I brought those home.  I wouldn't mind screw terminals.
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 12:56:26 AM

The U3 was originally announced as having both 6pin PCIE and X-Box barrel jack. They left the 6-pin unpopulated and went with the barrel jack only. Those 12v/7a bricks were HOT to the touch. I don't mind if both options are there. Would be nice(convenient Wink) to have the 6-pin in place.
Now as far as the COMs go, USB B is my preference. Much sturdier connection. I had a USB Mini pull off a Rockminer R-Box board when I was trying to pull the cable off to clean the fans. As much as that may have been my fault, the Mini is weak and difficult to repair if your like me and hadn't soldered anything smaller than 10gauge wire in years.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 03:03:15 AM

Yeah, 6-pin will definitely be useful. That was a must-have feature on the larger pod idea, but since that project got scrapped this one will have to do its best to fill the gap. That's why right now I'm working on a few added features to spiff it up a bit. Probably over the weekend I'll punch out the new board design.

I'm hoping to take some time and work up an improved Bitfury test also, since the whole signals side of things has changed a lot from the original idea and the old test board doesn't work right, possibly because of how a bunch of new stuff is scabbed into it.

in2tactics

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 03:04:48 AM

Point taken. I will say that I am reasonably sure the non-n00bs appreciate your decision to include the 6-pin PCIE. I think my wife has finally gotten over the fact that I randomly leave power supplies with stuff plugged into them in her living area. Okay, I do not leave them around randomly or haphazardly, but certainly they are left unwantedly.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 07:27:09 PM

Point taken. I will say that I am reasonably sure the non-n00bs appreciate your decision to include the 6-pin PCIE. I think my wife has finally gotten over the fact that I randomly leave power supplies with stuff plugged into them in her living area. Okay, I do not leave them around randomly or haphazardly, but certainly they are left unwantedly.

and there are small atx quiet and good quality.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Power_Supply/Toughpower_Series_/Toughpower_SFX_/C_00002909/Toughpower_SFX_450W_Gold/design.htm

very small will do 2 easy  with the supplied pcies and  3 with a sata  to 6 pin adapter 

it would be safe since the 6 pin won't do much power in this case.

Morguk

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 10:41:51 PM

The cost for a decent PSU is outputting when I can just use a mains plug with barrel jack.

Edit: Lol meant to say off-putting.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:34:26 AM

I have exactly zero idea what that statement means.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:35:48 AM

The cost for a decent PSU is outputting when I can just use a mains plug with barrel jack.
I'm going to assume you said the cost of a barrel jack supply is cheaper than a decent PSU, but really you can use molex or sata to pci connectors and they won't melt the cables as the miner doesn't use a whole lot of energy. Hell you can go buy a 400w PSU and some of those connectors for less than 30 bucks and it won't take a lot out of your wallet.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 01:15:23 AM

You can get NEW 350w-450w PSU's for $15 at this power level they will be silent. A brick is smaller and a little more durable if you have pet's or rotten children Grin
thehypnominer

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 01:18:37 AM

I like the idea of the 6-pin PCIE. That way I can just run a couple of the extra PCIE power cables from my tower PSU out the back and not have to buy a new power supply. My PSU has power to spare.
QuintLeo

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 06:25:10 AM

this is a usb mini? 

Yes, that is a USB mini - same connector the Gridseeds used for the 80 blades (and I believe the ORBs as well, dunno about the GBlack as I don't think that one was USB at all?)

in2tactics

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 08:24:27 AM

I have exactly zero idea what that statement means.
This made me chuckle, but I think leowonderful may have demystified the unknown.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:10:00 AM

this is a usb mini?  

Yes, that is a USB mini - same connector the Gridseeds used for the 80 blades (and I believe the ORBs as well, dunno about the GBlack as I don't think that one was USB at all?)

And also the Rockminer 32GH RBOX and the BFL Jalapeno, to name a few. Very common back in the old days of mining, but they've disappeared along with those podlike miners. But no more Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Morguk

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:25:02 AM

Lol I meant to say PSU cost is off-putting (not outputting) compared to a normal plug.

Sure you can get cheap PSU's, but I always hear nightmare stories.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:43:07 PM

Lol I meant to say PSU cost is off-putting (not outputting) compared to a normal plug.

Sure you can get cheap PSU's, but I always hear nightmare stories.
If you're not pulling too much wattage from them they'll last. I have a couple machines with cheap PSUs and they run fine 24/7. If you're too concerned you can go for a used 80+ PSU or an EVGA (20 bucks refurbished on Newegg, pretty sure it's less) and they work fine and won't be too expensive.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
in2tactics

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:44:04 PM

... I always hear nightmare stories.
Yes, you hear nightmare stories about people trying to put 100% load 24/7 on a POS PSU. That is not the usage case being talked talked about.

Morguk

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:45:38 PM

Could be a UK thing, they are about £35/$46 for a branded one.

leowonderful

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:23:43 AM

Could be a UK thing, they are about £35/$46 for a branded one.
Yeah, we get PSUs much cheaper here in the US and they're often on nice discounts (got a 500w 80+ new for 20 once). I get a few every now and then, UK always seems to have higher pc part costs.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Morguk

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:45:46 AM

How's it going sidehack?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:09:14 PM

Pretty decent I reckon. Had a few days last week to just almost finish up the BM1384 Terminus redesign. I need to give it a once-over, double-check the layout before sending off for boards but I'm hoping to do that this week.

Problem is, Saturday night I got a huge ASAP cable order that's eating all the time I had padded into this week for doing that and a few prep projects I wanted to get done to speed up 2Pac manufacture now that my helper left. MacEntyre doubled his order, and Batch 3 PCBs arrive next week, so even without Terminus stuff or cables or any other projects, I have work lined up until about August.

Check back soon though. I've got four Terminus pod PCBs I'm going to try and retrofit with the new buck module I've got working. Once they're functional I'm planning to auction them off here to help raise money for a friend's medical bills.

jekecoin

Activity: 413

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 03:43:15 PM

Pretty decent I reckon. Had a few days last week to just almost finish up the BM1384 Terminus redesign. I need to give it a once-over, double-check the layout before sending off for boards but I'm hoping to do that this week.

Problem is, Saturday night I got a huge ASAP cable order that's eating all the time I had padded into this week for doing that and a few prep projects I wanted to get done to speed up 2Pac manufacture now that my helper left. MacEntyre doubled his order, and Batch 3 PCBs arrive next week, so even without Terminus stuff or cables or any other projects, I have work lined up until about August.

Check back soon though. I've got four Terminus pod PCBs I'm going to try and retrofit with the new buck module I've got working. Once they're functional I'm planning to auction them off here to help raise money for a friend's medical bills.
Hi side, great news, I have arround 20 cent of btc, I don't know if enought, even if I can buy it, thanks for your efforts in the community.

Hard obsoleto                    Cloudmining: Cex.io · EOBOT                    Gambling: Primedice
Morguk

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 08:59:05 PM

Lots of work to do, but you're the man!

Will definitely check back (always do!) and best wishes to your friend.

leowonderful

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 10:21:37 PM

Sounds good! Better response than some other bigger miner manufacturing ompanies, I will definitely check in on the auction. Sounds like you're plenty busy right now, keep us updated with any important information!

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
xxooss

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:45:18 PM

Glad you are busy sidehack...I cant wait for the pod testing to start.  On a side note I have an idea about a miner retrofit, but not hardware...building a driver or whatever to run an existing design in a different way to utilize the ability of an older platform.

I am in way over my head...lol.  I will send you a PM with more details but its not something I want you to address right now. Just keep it in the back stack of you minds eye and we will maybe talk in a few months. Smiley
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 12:04:59 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1987503.new#new

Auction for four prototype Terminus pod miners.

ab1jx

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 06:13:49 PM

What's happening with the BF16 pods?  The BF16 stuff is the only thing I'm interested in because it'll be obsolete fast enough.  I can't see sinking money into more BM1384 stuff.  I've got a 2Pac, it works, but it doesn't break even.  Turning the speed up or buying more isn't going to make it more profitable because the power consumption will just rise too.
AJRGale

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 02:13:57 AM

What's happening with the BF16 pods?  The BF16 stuff is the only thing I'm interested in because it'll be obsolete fast enough.  I can't see sinking money into more BM1384 stuff.  I've got a 2Pac, it works, but it doesn't break even.  Turning the speed up or buying more isn't going to make it more profitable because the power consumption will just rise too.

ima quote sidehack here..
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume nothing's changed in the last four days.

Or, to quote myself,

No marked progress si